Bow shooting help

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by daniel72, Sep 20, 2017.

1. daniel72

daniel72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not 100% sure where to post this so if I posted it in the wrong spot I'm sorry. I just got a new to me bowtech fuel from a friend went to the pro shop and had it all set up I've been shooting field points and recently went to my broad heads just for some practice and now all my shots are low like way low any idea what would have caused that?

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

z7deerslayer likes this.
  2. nickster

nickster Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    make sure your broadheads are the same weight in grams as your field points. a lot of broadheads will fly different than practice points . sight in at 20 yds and see how it goes.

3. djandy

djandy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    information on type of bow, type of rest,shaft size, type of broadhead and weight. and bow poundage.all this is needed to help with your problem.or if your in a hurry you can do do what nickster suggest and sight in the broadheads.it still may not fix the problem at different yardages.

4. daniel72

daniel72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My broad heads and field points both weigh 100 grain. It's a Bowtech Fuel 55lb draw at 28" draw length shooting 29" carbon express wolverine arrows and a octane rest

5. kgtech

kgtech Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    broad head change the aerodynamics of the arrow in flight. what broad heads are you using?

6. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've had 2 Bowtech's, (Carbon Knight & current BTX-28), and got very mixed results shooting fixed blades. Not sure if it's the bow or the broad heads but anyway. Some fly well and some are all over the place. I've since started shooting more mechanicals and have had much better results with their accuracy in relation to my field points. If you're set on shooting fixed blades, you'll just have to fins dome that fly well. I had the best luck with Montec and Montec CS.

7. daniel72

daniel72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a package of unopened 85 grain mechanical broad heads I was thinking about trying

8. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just curious if by getting it "all set up" you also meant tuned the rest. When you tune the rest, you'll be able to shoot a variety of heads really close to the same. I've been using the 100 gr. Killzones for the past few years and this year wanted to use 100 gr. Muzzy for elk hunting. When I shot the Muzzys I didn't have to make a single adjustment. I had some old, used Slick Tricks and decided to shoot them too. Same result. Another no-name head in the box also shot the same. My rest was tuned in 2011 and hasn't been touched since. You might look up "walk back tuning" on here and see if that helps. Good luck.

9. daniel72

daniel72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  10. Onetrakryder

Onetrakryder Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When broadheads don't hit with field points the first place to look is bow tune. Then make sure broadheads are well aligned with shafts. Some shoot paper to tune and some prefer walk back. Even if the bow is tuned broadheads should be spun to ensure alignment. Hope it all comes together.

11. kahneyjd

kahneyjd Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I agree that the first place to look is the bow tune. If your broad heads are hitting lower than the field points, you need to raise your rest or lower your nocking point or both. Keep in mind you will have to adjust your sights after you do this. If this does not help you need to get the bow tune checked.

JDUB likes this.
  12. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As stated before first easy thing to try is bump the rest up a hair and shoot both again. They should start getting closer to each other. Once you get them as close as possible then you move your sight up or down to match the point of impact. Very important that you do rest first then sight. Also shoot the broadhead first then shoot your field point so you don't destroy your arrow with those broadhead blades. I prefer french tuning myself...look it up.