bow hunting tips and tricks

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by austin97, Sep 8, 2013.

1. sbrandt300

sbrandt300 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    haha I can honestly say I did that. just got into the best hunting land around our area.

when taking a pic of a deer from the treestand with your fone don't forget to turn the flash off.

2. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A tip in Fitz's case. Check that ice before you ride your mountain bike with sled attached, would make for a cold *** day! Ha!

I do like to make my own cover scent because of all the pines here in AL. I don't remember the thread but one of the guys had posted on how he makes his own and I tried it. The spike (thought it was a doe) I got last year with my shotgun walked right down the path I had just used and was even stopping and sniffing along the way, walked right up within 40 yards of me for an easy shot with the slug. Unfortunately I thought it was a doe because his spikes curved along his head and couldn't see them, sigh. Tasted good though!

Basically, gathered up a bunch of pine needle and some pine cones and some acorns and dirt from the area I hunted, boiled water and let it all sit in there for several hours. Let it cool then bottle it up! Smelled like some fresh pine needles!

3. austin97

austin97 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    if you have the time and dont mind... screw your tresstand to the tree with 1/4 inch pole barn screws makes it much more solid.

4. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When putting together new stands. Put some duct tape between any metal pieces that make contact with each other to keep the stand quiet, even as it gets older.

5. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Also, I'll collect deer scat and leave it in one spot near where I park my truck and then step in it after spraying my boot down with scent away each time before I walk to the stand.

6. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Don't eat bran flakes or chili before heading out to the woods. I'm speaking from experience.

7. Dawn Assassin

Dawn Assassin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thats a good one

8. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    :jaw:

9. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Afflicted mentioned collecting deer scat...

My farmer has horses, and I have to talk trough the horse pasture to get to my stands. I smash every horse turd I come across to cover my boot scent.

10. seanmoe

seanmoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have never thought of blowing back at them, I think (at least for me) that when they blow it usually scares me and I don't have the thought to grunt or blow back just the ringing of my heart in my ears. Once had a doe about ten yards in front of me on a deer drive, I was driving to my dad and brother them with guns me with bow, this doe broadside ten yards in front of me all I had to do was grunt at her and I'm certain she would have stopped but jumping her up scared me so bad I just stood there like a moron.