Boots

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by heartstopper, Dec 16, 2017.

1. heartstopper

heartstopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    i am looking to some new boots this off season. I am currently using muck boots and I dislike them. I was thinking about some lacrosse ones. Something that comfortable to walk in all day. Thanks

2. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was in your same boat... I ditched the rubber boots all together and went with some Danner Pronghorns.. I am very happy with that decision

3. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I like my LaCrosse alphaburly sports. About as comfortable as athletic shoes- and I'm picky about my footwear. My feet are pretty jacked up and I can't wear crappy boots.

Sota likes this.
  4. 95grvrMotive6

95grvrMotive6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like my Lacrosse aeroheads they are really comfortable

grommel likes this.
  5. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have been researching the lacrosse alphaburly pros and have seen nothing but good things about them. I may pull the trigger on them after this season.

95grvrMotive6 likes this.
  6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You will not regret it.

95grvrMotive6 likes this.
  7. the g1

the g1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have tried lots of boots and I have three that I use for hunting now. Warm weather I wear cheap uninsulated rubber boots from tractor supply 15$. When it gets a little colder I start wearing my alphaburlys and when it get really cold in December I wear Cabela's Saskatchewan pac boots. If I had to choose just one for all season it would be the alphaburly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. BlueCopper

BlueCopper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been using the Aerohead for several years now. Very comfortable and warm enough for most situations.

Ruff likes this.
  9. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    When it comes to rubber boots the LaCrosse Alphburly Pro is my choice. Very comfortable.

However since I don't hunt in rubber boots all that much, Danner Pronghorns are my main go-to boot.

tynimiller likes this.
  10. MrSimon

MrSimon Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've had some 800g LaCrosse boots for five years now. Very comfortable, but they did develop a crack and then a hole on the shin, where it creases.

I called LaCrosse and she said that is very common on rubber hunting boots. They only have a one year warranty, but did send me a 30% off coupon for a new pair.

While I liked the boots, I will be looking around for some with a better warranty. If I can find something with a lifetime warranty, I'd spend more to get it.

11. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in same boat as Justin....Danner Pronghorns are my go to now and I've eliminated a big chunk of my issue which was feet unable to breathe and sweat forming which is the quickest way for feet to get cold. Only time I will switch to my Muck or big insulated rubber boots is in low 20's or below weather where feet sweat nearly becomes non-existent....even then though I'm more apt to throw Danner's on if only hunting for 3 hours or so in the evening as I am just vastly more comfortable in them, but in deep snow I won't wear them.

12. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have both Muck and Lacrosse rubber/neoprene boots. I actually prefer Muck over Lacrosse. If you are looking for something comfortable to walk in all day you should get leather boots.

13. mikey custom-g

mikey custom-g Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Boots are like anything else. Everyone has a preference.

I loved my LaCrosse Alpha Burly boots. Wore them out until they separated the soles from the boot and leaked.

At that time I bought the HAW boot by Under Armour. Liked them so much I bought a back up pair, which now I thank God I did !

I still wear the HAW. One pair seems more comfy then the other. Imagine that ?

I’ve reglued the soles on both pair multiple times. What I like about them is the boot doesn’t leak when the sole comes unglued like the Burleys did.

I also just bought a pair of Mucks to keep as a spare. I live in Florida and bow hunt year round, mostly swamps and High flooded waters, so boots are important as mosquitoe wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. hoff1ck

hoff1ck Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I was in the same boat this year. Have a pair of Muck Wetlands and I really hated wearing them. I bought a pair of Asolo Fugitives for deer this year and they were outstanding. I still wore my Muck boots once the ground froze, but otherwise they saw very little use. If its a comfort thing with your Mucks like it was for me, I'd seriously look at some sort of hiker. Asolo has grown to be my favorite, but there are plenty of options depending on what your budget is.

15. Hammerin Hank

Hammerin Hank Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Which model of Mucks are you using? I don't like walking very far with my Woody Max's because if I do, my feet sweat real bad. If I have a long walk to my stand I will bring a second pair of socks. But I do think they are comfortable (for me) in the limited walking I will do in them. I agree with what others have said, for all day walking leather is your best bet. Good luck!

16. heartstopper

heartstopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If I walked about a couple of hundred yards they start hurting one my ankles. I liked the mucks when I first got them but when walking she'd hunting or bloodcurdling trail they just kill my ankle.

17. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I tried the Muck Arctic Pro this year and they let me down. They didn't keep my feet warm when it got below the mid 30's. I have yet to find a boot that will honestly keep my feet warm in below 30's temps during all day sits. Back some years ago, I bought the Northern Outfitters Expedition Boot, which really did keep my feet warm, no matter the temps, but they don't make that boot any more. I think they were $250. I don't mind putting out the cash, as long as the boot does what it's supposed to do. Yea, those Mucks were a let down. Good boot, just not warm.

18. Ruff

Ruff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Get some boot blankets. You can even take your boots off and just wear the blankets then toss a hand warmer in each one for the really cold days. As far as boots go for stand hunting buy them big so you can wear a wicking sock and a smart wool or wool sock and not be tight so you keep circulation in your feet.
    Also keep your core warm. If you get chilled it's a automatic body response to restrict blood flow to extremities and I guarantee your hands and feet will freeze.

Rubber boots I love the Alpha Burly line. Cool temps I like Keen hikers and for cold temps the Keen boots and the blankets. If I don't have far to walk Lacrosse Iceman PAC boots work great. Again bought big with room to wiggle your toe's.

19. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've tried several brands of the rubber boots and never quite liked the fit of them especially for walking. Could be just me but I bought a pair of Zamberlan's last year and love them. They aren't cheap but they are the first pair of lace up boots I've found that really are water proof even walking through very wet grass. I bought the 960 Guide GTX.

20. MrSimon

MrSimon Newb

Dislikes Received:
    How thick of insulation do you guys like for long, cold weather sits? Say between 15 and 30 degrees?

My 800g LaCrosse boots were fine down to 30 on their own, fine down to 20 if I put hand warmers under my toes, but not so great down into the teens and below.

I'm sure some crazy thick 2000g boot would be warm while sitting in the cold ... but it would be way too warm for walking and on warmer days.

Sounds like most guys have two sets of boots, one for super cold, and then a more comfortable set for everything else.