Bad Last Day - Lost My Buddy

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by DickensCPA, Jan 7, 2018.

1. DickensCPA

DickensCPA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Today was the last day of TN's season. I usually hunt 30-40 sits a season and the last few saw exactly zero deer. This year I hunted two sits the first 6 days of season and got two deer. Nov-Dec is usually dead for a CPA firm and this year it was hopping! Made for a Merry Christmas for the family though.

We also spent most of December passing a bug back and forth between me, my wife and our two kids.

I was determined that I would get out today and climb a tree. It's been single digits here and since the heart attack and blood thinners the cold gets me more now. Today was to get into the 40s.

We get up and start getting ready for Church and my dog is acting funny, wheezing to get his breath and in obvious pain. His lips in the corner of his mouth are swollen and colored and his tongue is purplish and hanging out.

My Mother in Law is staying with us a bit after some shoulder surgery and so she watched the kids and we rush him to the emergency room. He was treated a few months back for what they said was a tick bite. They told us there was basically no hope for him and he had cancer that took over his whole body and his organs were failing. We had to put him down. Friday he and I were throwing a ball and he was (seemed) fine.

Fourteen years ago on the last day of deer season I'd got nothing all year and sat in a tree with a gun of all things to get one. Never gun hunted since actually. My wife and kids were 2 1/2 hours away waiting on a painting to cure and killed time in the Petco next door. She texted me a picture of this little dog and I climbed down the tree and drove 2 1/2 hours to adopt him.

He was a good dog and loved riding on the bass boat. Our family loves to hike where there are waterfalls and he went along on most all of them. Two summers ago we went on a long hike and got lost and it got dark and they closed down and locked our car in the parking lot. I navigated us to a public road where a ranger on his way home saw us. He wouldn't let the dog in his truck so I sat in the back bed holding him and my family sat up front. I don't know which was worse, losing my dog or seeing the hurt in my wife and kids.

Sorry so long, he was worth it!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    CMTRAV and Anthony2991 like this.
  2. Me53

Me53 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  3. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for the loss man, that always sucks.
    I have a husky that had a big tumor removed from her belly last week. Been a drag, it's better when they go quickly.

4. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's always tough to lose a buddy...sorry for your loss.

5. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Very sorry... went through it last year and actually taking one to vet this morn that doesn’t look in good shape at all. Little boogers tug on the heart strings

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

6. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Been through the same thing, they become a member of the family and it is hard to see them go. They just love you unconditionally, you can be having a bad day and mad at the world and they will come up wagging their tail to greet you and you just can't help but feel humbled by their dedication and devotion. Great companions.

Sadjmoe likes this.
  7. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for the loss, it's a hard thing to go thru. I too just lost my best friend this past October, still think of him every day. Miss him alot!

8. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Very sorry for your loss! Never easy losing part of your family!

9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for your loss it sucks.

10. Napper

Napper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’m sorry. My dog is Tess long story how we became family however I will be a wreck when that day comes (she’s eleven) My eyes water just thinking about it. Good luck in with your healing.

11. OkieArrowSlinger

OkieArrowSlinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for your loss. I know how you feel. We had to put down our little dog the day after Christmas. She was 11 but had developed a tumor in her gums that turned out to be Melanoma and within a couple weeks of showing symptoms, it was taking over. My wife and I got her a couple of months before we got married and she was just like one of our children. It’s hard to let them go but just keep reminding yourself that you did what was best and didn’t let him suffer any more. Thoughts and prayers.

12. DickensCPA

DickensCPA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys!

13. 95grvrMotive6

95grvrMotive6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for your loss!

14. CE Williams

CE Williams Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry about your pain. As we get older I think it is our dogs we miss more than the friends we lost.

15. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    To us they were part of our lives...to them we were their entire life.

The love of a dog is incredible. Sorry brother.