Arrow advice for upcoming moose hunt.

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Scott Reynolds, May 25, 2019.

1. Scott Reynolds

Scott Reynolds Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi I am new to this forum.
    My name is scott reynolds and I am from Australia.

What I would like to ask is what arrow weight and best head do people recommend for moose.
    I shoot 75 pound at 28.5” draw
    Thanks scott

2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    550 plus with a soild coc broadhead.

mikey custom-g likes this.
  3. Scott Reynolds

Scott Reynolds Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the reply. Currently I am using 125 gr shuttle Tees would they be ok? Failing that looking at 125gr 3 blade ozcuts which are a solid machined head.

4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Both are excellent choices.

5. CanadianCowboy

CanadianCowboy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Use whatever you can confidently place in a 4” group out to 60 yards. The weight and broad head are important, but don’t forget that moose have been killed for thousands of years before all the tech improvements we see today. Shot placement is the most critical, and the ability to but a stick (arrow) into the vitals of a big swamp donkey can be intimidating, but not rocket science!

I’ve use fixed broad heads, mechanicals on carbon arrows, simple Ziwickie’s on wood arrows.

whatever you choose, be comfortable with it, and enjoy the hunt!

6. P17

P17 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Grizzlystiks 650 grain and over. I like 765 grains Alaskan 315 broadheads. Hoyt carbon defiant 72# 28.5 .

Attached Files:

7. CookeMonster

CookeMonster Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm running Black Eagle Carnivore 250s with 200 gr Ethics inserts and 200 gr Cutthroats at the tip for 729 grain total and 29%+ FOC. 72# 28.5" bow doing 209 fps. A 5 pin sight (20, 25, 30, 35, 40 pins) gets me to 40 yards before I run out of housing. Next setup I build will probably be in the 650 gr range just to stretch the max range to 50.

8. P17

P17 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutely no problem; all day long. I got skunked in Alaska; 52" is tough to judge. Good luck for sure. Pic of Alaskan interior Grizzly now a rug lol

Attached Files:

9. P17

P17 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am currently in NW Colorado hunting elk, and other day got pinned down by 48-50 mph winds. The kuiu tent stayed strong. The amount of blown down is insane.

Attached Files:

10. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    stay in the 450-500 gr range with a good Fixed head of the COC persuasion .... just make sure your spine is adequate, maybe slightly stiff .. FOC between 10-15 gr works fine ... no reason to go overboard there ... and make sure bow is TUNED to same poi with FP's/BH's ...

NoStandHardHiking 24 likes this.
  11. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good advice! And good luck. Knew a fellow who went moose hunting in Canada. Got a great one shot kill. The moose was very inconsiderate and died in four feet of water! Took over six hours to field dress it and haul it to camp.

mikey custom-g likes this.
  12. Stephen Brinson

Stephen Brinson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am from Newfoundland, Canada and I just took my first moose with my bow last week. I have taken several with a rifle.
    I am nowhere near a pro bow hunter...not EVEN close lol. I took my moose with a 48 yard shot. The bull went exactly 20 yards and went down, lights out! I was amazed at how quick he expired...and that's what we all hope for!
    Anyway, I was using Easton Carbon Aftermath 340 arrows with Slick Trick Vipertrick 100 grain broadheads with a 1 1/16" cutting diameter.
    I'm not technically inclined when it comes to bows and such, but it worked lol.

trial153 likes this.
  13. Life by the Horns

Life by the Horns Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would highly recommend taking a look at the Easton Axis match grade 5mm... Depending on spine anywhere from 9.5 - 11.5 GPI. I put 50 grain brass inserts in them with aluminum footers to protect the front, and have had amazing results. (I also shoot 125 grain heads) I have a longer draw, so mine are fairly heavy at 585 total weight, but even 500+ is pretty good, just really focus on your FOC, it's amazing how much that affects penetration.

14. NoStandHardHiking 24

NoStandHardHiking 24 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    guy above is shooting over 700 grs lol

15. mikey custom-g

mikey custom-g Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Moose is a huge animal for sure. Everyone has what they would do. I never shot a moose or hunted for one. But you're pretty close to my draw and poundage, so I can somewhat relate a bit ?

I'm shooting a full carbon shaft named Bandalarrows 5mm in 200 spine and a 150 single bevel with a 50 grain half out.

I might think that i'd move to a FMJ 5mm shaft in either a 300 spine ,,,possibly a 230 spine with a Crimson talon 125 Cleaver or 150 and see what seems to tune best and walks back best. I think it's more important to have a better tuned arrow because the equipment will do it's job if that arrow is flying right. As an example, a 300 FMJ with a 125 head will come in around 525 TW grains. Not sure what a 230 does, I haven't used them yet. The combo I have confidence to destroy anything in it's way.