Anyone else get too sweaty to hang n hunt?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by alfarah50, Oct 18, 2017.

1. alfarah50

alfarah50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wish I wasn't the sweatiest greasiest guy above the Mason Dixon line. I sweat if I think too much let alone hang a set. Tried to get mobile and hang n hunt, weather was only 57 degrees. By the time I got my bow hoisted up and sat down I was drenched in sweat. Gets me everytime.

w33kender and Swamp Stalker like this.
  2. Jmnhunter

Jmnhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i dont sweat overly more than anyone else, but If i'm walking more than 200yds with my gear, i start to sweat. I have a area I have to bike into and I'm going to pretty much just wear my base layers until i get to my bike parking spot, wipe down with wipes and spray down; that still leaves me to hang my stand which i will inevitably sweat...

w33kender likes this.
  3. Swampthing

Swampthing Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When it's warm I just accept the sweatiness.

When its cold out and I don't want to start sweating, I'll hang my stand in shorts and t-shirt, then wait a bit to cool down before putting on my camo.

Jrob140 and w33kender like this.
  4. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Since you are going to be sweating anyway. Just carry along a ground blind. that way you have some privacy to change into a second set of clothes once everything is hung.

w33kender, ruteger and alfarah50 like this.
  5. parkersdad

parkersdad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just buy a climber. There are plenty of climbable trees in your area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

w33kender and Longdraw like this.
  6. Woody9220

Woody9220 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You're not alone. I have the same issue. I've tried a million things but I always start to sweat. I try getting in way earlier if using a climber. That way I can cool down and take a dead down wind bath.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

w33kender and blackbear like this.
  7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    It's almost impossible to not sweat when you're hauling a bunch of gear around and climbing up and down trees. I just try to minimize how much I sweat. Wearing the fewest amount of clothes possible and going slow are the two things that help the most. I always carry a pack of field wipes with me as well so I can wipe down when I'm done. If time permits I'll try to cool off at the base of the tree for a few minutes before suiting up and then climbing in to hunt. Nothing like hanging out on a 30 degree day with no shirt on in the middle of the pitch black woods. :lol:

8. Cottontop

Cottontop Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I put my climbing stand and pack on a scale and it weighed in at 31 pounds. I hunt state and federal property so its always a hump to get to where I want to hunt. Even on the days when its low to mid 30's by the time I get up in the tree and set up I am soaked to the arse. All I can think about is scent control- yeah, right.......

w33kender likes this.
  9. Jeremy/PA

Jeremy/PA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the same issue... I was drenched last weekend even after waiting to cool down for a bit. (this was a 20 minute hike in with everything) I carry a climber and don't wear anything I don't need but it still gets me.

However, I think it is showing me I am going too fast.

Last weekend I hunted a spot that was not far from the car. I decided to get fully dressed and walk in, thinking there was no way this 10 minute walk/climb was going to overheat me - it did. Later in the morning I decided it was time to move. Got down, stayed dressed and moved at a snails pace. I stayed drier.

This weekend I am going to do the same (wear minimal) but leave a little earlier and go much slower.

Also, for us guys that sweat this bad: What are you doing with the wipes and drenched shirts once you get to the stand?

w33kender likes this.
  10. Anthony2991

Anthony2991 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im over here in texas where our entire bow season is usually in mid 80s with 70% humidity i sweat just walking. Last hunt I did I was drenched in sweat and that evening i had a hog come within 20yrds of my stand. If the wind is on your side you will be ok.

w33kender likes this.
  11. marv.schmitz87

marv.schmitz87 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Zip lock bags.

Justin and Jeremy/PA like this.
  12. bowhunter628

bowhunter628 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like to carry sweat rag in with me so that once I get into my stand I can wipe down with it and put it into a bag with plenty of cover scent to mask it. Like Justin said, I also like to take a minute or to at the base of the tree to settle everything down.

w33kender likes this.
  13. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When it’s cold I underdress to the point that when I start walking all I want to do is go back to my truck and blast the heater. Then I’ll dress at tree after cooling off. When it’s warm out I take an ice cold shower before I go. Then I blast my A/C in my truck all the way there. I’ve also kept a cooler in my truck with ice water and wrapped an ice cold wash rag around my neck while walking in early season.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

w33kender likes this.
  14. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's why I prefer ladder stands over climbers. I know on leases and public land you can't just leave a ladder stand out there but it's definitely a perk of being a land owner, small properly albeit, but it's convenient. All you can really do is wear minimal clothes walking to the stand, use scent elimination wipes when you get to the stand, respray your clothes and boots with scent elimination, then add the layers after you cool down after about 10 minutes. The other thing you can do is use coon pee or fox pee as a cover scent.

w33kender likes this.
  15. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    personally, I don't give a rip. It's part of the deal here in the south.you are going to sweat in Oct and there is little you can do about. Hunt the best wind you can and forget about it..

Jrob140 and w33kender like this.
  16. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed 150%. And you have to burn a thermocell just to tolerate hunting, too. And I don't want to hear that deer can't smell it. Bow hunting in the South is a different set of challenges.

I wear shorts and sleeveless shirts under a 3D bugsuit from cabelas and still have soaked ganolies after a 500 yard sllllllow walk and a short climb up a ladder stand.

Shocker99 likes this.
  17. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oh my, I WOULD NOT hunt without a thermocel...preach brother...

18. Jeremy/PA

Jeremy/PA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    UPDATE: This weekend I headed out early and walked in slowly. At any point I would feel like I was becoming winded, I stopped. Yes it took me a little longer but I barely over-heated. Got to the tree and didn't need that much time to cool down. T-shirt went in a zip lock.

I put my base layer on and climbed the tree. When I got up and set, I pulled my bow, bag, vest and outer layer up. Climbed slowly with no sweat and started the hunt warm because I was dry, not with a soaked base layer coming through to other pieces.

19. Big John

Big John Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is what I did too. When ladder stands went on sale I bought 4 of em .