Any topo gurus in here?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Between2Bluffs, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Between2Bluffs

Between2Bluffs Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been trying to figure out topo maps lately to kinda pre scout on my computer before I actually put boots on the ground on some of these public land spots. That way I'm not just walking aimlessly. Here are two areas in this 500 acre chunk that I think might be good based on what little I know about topo maps.
    20191008_193632.jpg
    And an Aerial for reference
    20191008_193607.jpg

dprsdhunter likes this.
  2. dorobuta

dorobuta Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Do you know if there are any game trails that run past those spots? They look good sans any additional information, but I'd want to know a little more about feeding areas, and pressure from other hunters.

3. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing tells you more about your potential hunting grounds better than boots on the ground. Topo maps only tell you where you can go, it tells you nothing about what's actually there.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  4. Between2Bluffs

Between2Bluffs Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't been there yet so not sure what sort of sign is there yet. As far as pressure who really knows. Both spots are good walks from a parking area and maybe overlooked compared to some spots.

5. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Look in the two areas between the Xs where the topo lines are further apart. Those are benches on the sides of ridges; there will probably be trails along those benches and possibly bedding.

The top X looks like it is in the bottom of a draw that comes down to the creek. That will be a good spot to catch deer coming to drink if there is water in the creek. There may also be a good trail at a creek crossing near there. The problem with that spot will be swirling winds if you get to high up in the draw. Stay down by the creek with the wind coming out of the draw towards the creek. On high pressure days, the thermals will carry your scent to the other side of the creek.

I would also look up the creek from your top X where the creek starts to look like marsh on the topo. If there are not trails coming out of the marsh and on to those northern ridges I would be surprised. Looks like a pretty good spot on the map.

Between2Bluffs likes this.
  6. Bange23

Bange23 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    +1
    [​IMG]

7. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    just some thoughts....good luck!...and im no guru. Just like this stuff

for bluffs.jpg

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019