Any tips on closing the distance?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by That'sABingo, Dec 16, 2017.

1. That'sABingo

That'sABingo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I do a lot of run and gun hunting. Set up and take down on different spots, sometimes going in blind to an area that looked good on a map. I have seen so many more mature bucks doing this. My issue though is that the bucks always tend to hang out about 10 or 15 yards out of my effective bow range. Any one have any tips to have them get a little closer? Any scents that spark their curiosity to come a little closer during the pre rut and rut?

2. kurtzgreg1561

kurtzgreg1561 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Setup an observation stand one day and see where they are moving. Next good day set up there within 30 yards or your personal effective range.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

JGD likes this.
  3. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If it's rut deer you're hunting, a drag line or mock scrape can work wonders. Calls work well too but late season it might be just a soft doe bleat or rubbing the trunk of your tree with a stick.

4. Huntzilla

Huntzilla Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Man some times it's just waiting it out. I was after a big buck I named Sue on some public land and hunted the same stand 3 times before bc I had trail cam pics of him returning to his bedding area in the morning. Now this has worked for me on two occasions but I did a scent drag in both directions ab 20yds upwind of me. Last week I had the below buck pick up that scent and I shot him as he was sniffing a tinks scent bomb with doe estrus. Other than that you can look on my Facebook Fan Page and see all the Bucks that I didn't get within range. I think what you're experiencing is every bowhunters frustration. Another thing I'll say is don't pay too much attention to the wind. If you can get by with a cross wind go with it. Even if it's close to you getting busted. Use wind floaters to see your scent path and try to get the deer before they get there. If you got some old does then you're f$&@ed but I dunno just my 2 cents. Here's my story on YouTube [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

5. Huntzilla

Dislikes Received:
    Failed to mention that I went about 100yds in both directions w the scent drag. The buck started out following it directly then as he came up the ridge went downwind to where he was almost directly under my stand. But dude I had that buck on trail cam 80-100yds from me. **** just goes like that some times.

6. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You getting closer to the deer will be more effective than trying to bring the deer closer to you.

Mr.O and Huntzilla like this.
  7. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    BAMM, there it is!!

8. Huntzilla

Dislikes Received:
    Very true and that could be changing up something like your stand set up. The hang n hunt set up will give you a ton more options than a climber. It sucks setting up and taking down though lol at least for me anyways. I’m new to it. But I really like it. Don’t have to sit and look for the perfect climbing tree! Plus you can have a little cover to help hide you.

9. That'sABingo

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with a lot of these statements. This past season killed a 140 in from an “observation stand” after grunting him in. I do use these stands often and then move in for the kill. But where I hunt the deer never do the same thing more than twice so when I go in for that kill stand I either get an opportunity that first time or never. I was just curious if there were any scents or etc that may just peak their curiosity. I have heard people talk about using a scent drag but I always walk in with the wind in my face so if something did follow it would be right down wind. The idea of going in with the cross wind is actually a good idea. I’ll have to try that next year and find entrance routes to my stands that allow that. Thanks for all the replys.

10. Huntzilla

Dislikes Received:
    You brought up another good point about accessing your stands. If you can find ditches or some type of barrier for your scent that helps. Not saying you do but some people just make a straight line to their stand locations. They don’t take into consideration where the deer are bedding. Heck most people drive their 4wheelers to their stands lol but I just don’t operate like that. If there’s a specific deer or area I’m trying to hunt I’ll usually try to plan my access to that stand so I don’t spook deer. Of course if I’m going in blind with all my gear and doing a hang and hunt then that’s not the case. Like going into a new spot and looking for sign/whatever and hunting a fresh spot. You can even use that bump n dump strategy (I never have) that Andre D’aquisto talks about.

11. That'sABingo

Dislikes Received:
    This season I really focused on entrance/exit strategies and I have noticed a significant increase on the amount of deer I see. Had the best season I have ever had. I hunt very aggressively so I try to get as close to the deer as possible and set up.