Advantages/Disadvantages to concealed weapon permit

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by virginiashadow, Sep 28, 2009.

1. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, relatively compact length, very SLIM and a great shooter... It had an excellent factory trigger pull on it. A very solid pistol. I liked it a lot.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  2. Live2Draw

Live2Draw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Agree, One thing though
    They have a 500 round break in period. I would suggest 1000
    I have seen alot of em come back to the store becuase they jammed repeatedly when asked what kind and how many rounds of ammo were fired the usual reply was
    "I shot 250 rounds of that Remington UMC or CCI Blazer, and i bet it jammed 15 times"

:rolleyes:

3. Chris Miles

Chris Miles Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Another vote for the ruger LCP 380 here. I carry it in the warm months in my front pocket and carry my Kimber Ultra CDP II 45acp with Crimson tracer grip if I'm wearing outer wear that conceals it. Hands down if a situation came up I would rather have the 45 in my hand but feel confident that a 380 hollow point would also do the job.

4. BowTech_Shooter

BowTech_Shooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    shadow,

If your wife is the only hurdle you have to clear, why not give her a couple of scenarios using her and your kids in them.

What if, the guy at the mall would have grabbed one of your kids at knife or gunpoint?

What if, the guy at the mall grabbed your wife at knife or gunpoint?

When I speak to people that don't believe in people having the right to carry or shouldn't carry, I put it like this...

If I'm talking to a woman I tell them that if they were grabbed by a bad guy and they were being raped at gun point in a dark alley and I happen to see what's going on, if I'm not allowed or don't carry, sorry, but I'm not going to try to stop it. I will make a phone call but that's the extent of my help. However, if I'm carrying, it's game over right then and there. 911 will be a clean up call.

If I'm talking to a man, I use their wife or kids as the example.

Here in Ohio there are a lot of businesses that have the "no guns allowed" signs in their windows. I've often asked why they don't allow it and they ALWAYS say, "well we don't want people carrying guns in here to hurt or rob us"... At this point I just giggle or laugh and say "do you really think that sign will keep a BAD guy from carrying a gun in here"? I tell them "a BAD guy doesn't respect the law and they don't care if there's a sign or not". Then I tell them "all you're doing is preventing a GOOD guy from legally carrying a gun in here and that GOOD guy could possibly help prevent a BAD guy from harming or robbing you". I almost always get the head cocked look like a dog does when they're confused...

I've also had them say "we'll call the police on them" Well I've got news for ya, the BAD guy has already commited the crime and is gone by the time the police get there...

5. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Bow Tech--I hear you man. I could talk to my wife using those examples until the cows came home, but she will not budge. She was raised in a very passive household. I on the other hand was raised on the opposite side...be prepared, be ready, defend, protect, strike if necessary. So this is a difficult dilemma. My father is in full agreement with me as he has been carrying concealed for many years in Virginia and Texas.

6. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    After reading all your posts including your last one, Virginia... I'll say you're probably just going to have to step up and be the man of your house and just do it.

I'm not saying this lightly -- as one of those cocky, know-nothing juvenile internet false bravado types either... Seriously. I believe a man and a wife should discuss things as much as possible, and he should weigh her opinion even more carefully than his own -- but it's ultimately up to him to make the decision. That's the man's role in marriage, not the woman's. HE is the one that will be held accountable by God for the decisions made in the family unit, not the wife. Unfortunately, too many men have lost their manhood and have rescinded their rightful leadership in the household. Yes, that's a biblical view of marriage, and I believe it's the all-powerful manuscript of how a marriage should work.

It really sounds like your battle is much like those between most liberals and conservatives -- on ANY issue. You're trying to present facts... and she's hindered by EMOTIONS. I think you know what you need to do.

7. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Greg. I like to be on the same team so to speak with my wife. But on this decision, I am acting. She will not listen to the facts. She keeps talking with her emotional brain when I am trying to talk with my logical side. My family was raised straight Republican, hers, straight Democrat. I love her to death, but on some things she will not listen. I am off in just an hour or so to a massive gun show and I will be checking out many different handguns, including the one's you all suggested. If the price is right I am buying one. If the prices seem high, I will go back to my local stores as I have two gun shops within 10 minutes of my home.