Advantages/Disadvantages to concealed weapon permit

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by virginiashadow, Sep 28, 2009.

1. rickmur

rickmur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So Va, how would the law look at it if you had a CWP and drew your gun in that circumstance?

2. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Rick, I am not sure. To be honest, I would not have drawn my gun in that circumstance. I am projecting other events and encounters that I may have, some of which may be very dangerous.

3. Ske1etor

Ske1etor Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I carry a Dan Wesson CBOB .45 daily in a Compt-Tac MTAC.

I tried a few different gun and holster combo's but settled in on this one.

4. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Ske1etor--I am going to re-read your previous post and see if my wife will read that website.

I just read Virginia's concealed weapons application....it says I need to submit proof that I completed the state hunters safety course, which I did. I guess I need to call Virginia game and Fish so they can send me a completion certificate for that class.

Finch, how easy was it for you to submit and receive a CWP here in Virginia? Thanks.

5. davidmil

davidmil Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Advantage.... Plexico Burress wouldn't be in jail if he had one.
    Disadvantage... He probably still would have shot himself in the leg. Ignorance is repairable.... Stupid is permanent.

6. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You can move to Illinois and then not worry about having to make the decision to carry.

(Well, you could carry a concealed gun... but you're committing a felony)

Take some handgun classes, if at all possible, take your wife too. A gun is less scary if you fully understand it and are comfortable handling it.

Many moons ago, I had a stalker... he waited for me when I left work. Followed me everywhere. He tried to take my truck. Took stuff out of my truck. It got worse until one night he tried to bust my apartment door down. I actually opened the door (because it was going to break) and my roommates and I screamed at him that we had called the police and if he came into the house we were going to shoot him. (tho' we had no guns and the police really couldn't care less about our situation)
    He left but not before slashing the tires on my truck. I can tell you, there's no more terrifying situation than feeling so helpless... your only real hope is that the cops might show up before you're dead. :(

I have a couple other stories.. like the guy who I walked up on who was playing with himself out in the woods. I was checking muskrat traps and had no real weapons on me. Instead of running away in embarrassment the guy tried following me around creepily and making small talk. I went out into the water and tried to act like wasn't scared of him and he eventually lost interest and went away.... but I was pretty mortified. ...And I don't scare easy.

I soooo want to move to Missouri.

7. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Crazy stories Christine...geez! I have fired many types of guns...rifles, shotguns, muzzleloaders, pistols so I feel comfortable with guns. In fact I still have two guns but I don't hunt with them at all. I am just looking at the possibility of owning and carrying a handgun.

8. Ske1etor

Ske1etor Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    http://www.carryconcealed.net/

9. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I meant for your wife to get comfortable with them. But take the classes.. almost all of us can get better with classes... and they're fun.

I've got other stories too. I was quite the weirdo magnet.

10. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Was? :D

Just kidding Kendall!

11. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It was pretty easy...I took the CC class at the Roanoke Gun show. The instructor told a few stories, went over a few scenarios, and of course talked safety. The test was open book. Piece of cake.

The worst thing about the whole process was the wait to actually receive your permit. It depends on the county or locale you reside. It took around 30 days for Roanoke county (county I lived at the time) to send me the permit. A neighboring county issues them out in about 3 days. If I had to guess, you'd be waiting a few weeks to receive yours.

12. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, my coworker said he absolutely hates the trigger pull on the LCP...so much in fact....that he plans on selling/trading it.

Is .380 ammo readily available in your area?

13. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Finch. I might even try to get the application completed in the next two days at the courthouse. Again, selling my wife is the kicker.

14. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have no complaint's, but I'm also not real picky. A slide lock would be nice, but I'm not hammering thru magazines such that it makes a difference. The "look" isn't the greatest, but its a go everywhere gun that doesn't have to be pretty. It functions every time I pull the trigger, and that's what matters.

15. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yep...thats the ONLY thing that matters.

I know for a fact I don't want an LCP...torn between the Kel-tec or the Bersa. I'll go handle each one and try to make a decision.

Good luck, Brett. She might come around.;)

16. Greg / MO

Dislikes Received:
    It was impossible to find right after the election, but you can find it hit or miss now if you look around the local gun shops. Still about an $8-10 premium per box on it though.

17. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    LOL!
    It's like a default thing, he likes me, therefore he's weird. He's a good weirdo deterrent too. I had a guy who would occasionally call me up and ask if Kendall was still around. (he knew Kendall had considered getting a job down in KY) A really nice guy and all... but those were kind of awkward calls. :rolleyes:

(the weirdo thing is the only good thing about putting on weight. The fatter I am, the less weirdos I deal with. I can't imagine how bad it must be for women who are actually good looking.)

Anyhow, anybody here ever shoot the Kahr Arms little 9mm and 40 calibers? I have a beretta 92F but it's too big from my hands. It the the Kahrs would be great concealed carry guns.

18. Greg / MO

Dislikes Received:
    I looked at Kahr's latest CC offering right before I picked up my LCP several months back. VERY nice gun, but outta my price range. :(

19. carpsniper

carpsniper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When it comes to this subject, one cliche' says it all...

"I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it."

Don't worry Greg, it'll only hurt for a little while.

20. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    Pfff... If you haven't killed Mike yet... Greg has nothing to worry about... :D