Adding more cover

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by kurveball18, May 24, 2017.

1. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys,
    So one of my better spots during the rut I'm limited to what tree I can sit in due to not alot of trees either being in the right spot, or big enough. This spot I hunt with my xop hang on I go in with it everytime I hunt so its not a place I leave a stand. (public land). However, this spot the tree I sit in is a full grown oak and its straight up so i'm able to get up about 16-20 feet. (Usually around 17). This tree however has no branches or anything sticking out of it so i'm pretty much sitting in a lone tree. When I shot my 8 pointer out of it last season I got a glimpse of movement when i was getting to full draw. Unfortunately it was too late for him. But my question is, how can i get some additional cover on this tree up where i'm sitting? Any ideas would be helpfull. I dont want to do anything drastic being public land but just enough to give me some more concealment.

2. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Often times I place some pine branches from the stand (where your feet are) outward. I feel it helps blend in a bit. Pine lasts a long time so, should stay green your whole archery season.

3. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My family buys real Christmas trees. After Christmas is over, I cut up the branches and use zip-ties to attach to my stand for more cover. Also has the added benefit of a real fir tree smell. The branches will remain in good shape for up to a month if its not unseasonably hot. If Christmas trees are already on sale in your area, you could buy one early and do the same.

4. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    or holly branches. I always carry a set of hand shears and cut a few branches off whatever is around.

5. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I never got around to it, but my plan had been. Take a PVC or PEX tubing and some camo netting and build a backdrop that I could strap quickly to the tree behind me and fan out to break up any silhouette.

pick00l likes this.
  6. Nushart Outdoors

Nushart Outdoors Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I usually use pine branches to brush myself in nice but I am able to keep my stands up all season. I've always tinkered with the idea of using the branches from fake Christmas trees for public land hunting. I would think they would pack away nicely on a backpack. Would just have to come up with a way to attach to your stand or tree while hunting.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app