a really dumb question from a newbie

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Mike Mock, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Mike Mock

Mike Mock Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My uncle has lent me a climbing stand to see if i like it. There is an area i want to hunt on a 54 acre space we hun that would be perfect for it. it is a brand new summit viper. that really doesn't matter but how would the safety line harness work with a climber. i do not want to be up there without being attached to the tree. everyone i see that uses the safety line is in a lock on. i have the harness, but i do not have a safety line yet. thanks

w33kender and ruteger like this.
  2. RutandStrut

RutandStrut Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Do just as the video states and move ur line up as you go. Going down is the reverse. Hope this helps you out.

Rangerdan and w33kender like this.
  3. ruteger

ruteger Guest

When it comes to being safe, there's no such thing as a dumb question because you're smart enough to know to ask how to be safe.

w33kender likes this.
  4. Invisible man

Invisible man Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Another mistake first timers make is forgetting to attach the upper to the lower. And when you get 18’ up you bump the lower and it slides back down the tree. And you will be left sitting with no foot plagform.

w33kender, JGD and Shocker99 like this.
  5. Mike Mock

Mike Mock Newb

Dislikes Received:
    that video explains it. i am thinking about the safety line that goes all the way up and down the tree. so I'm thinking, well you have to climb to attach it up top, and bring it down with you so how good would it be....if that makes sense. i just need a shorter line to attach to my harness.....

w33kender likes this.
  6. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes life lines are for more of a permanent setup. Using a climber you would do like the video. If you have a tree you will use a lot with a climber I suppose you could attach a lifeline while you are up there then secure it after you climb down to a screw in step. Then it would be there when you want to climb

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

w33kender likes this.
  7. Xyxus

Xyxus Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My harness came with a short line that can be used as a lineman's rope or attached to the tree when using a climber. Just a rope with a loop on one end, a knot on the other and a prusik knot in the middle for you to attach to.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

w33kender likes this.
  8. SheddingLightTravis

SheddingLightTravis Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used to climb up without being tethered the the tree. I’d strap in once I was 25ft up. Very dumb and risky. Many time the bottom could’ve kicked loose. O anchor in from bottom to top now.

Here’s the main thing...practice. Do NOT try to make your first climb in the dark. You’ll also need to practice on different sized trees. Nothing worse than getting up the tree and the standing platform didn’t level out like you thought and it’s nearly impossible to stand on. So practice. And o yea, don’t forget to tie the bow rope onto you before making the climb. ‍♂️

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

w33kender likes this.
  9. Mike Mock

Mike Mock Newb

Dislikes Received:
    like many new hunters a lot of my stuff is hami-down. my uncle gave me the harness i use. it is a hunter safety system harness but i do not have ay extras it would have come with. how would i search that rope to purchase? i never was boy scout so telling me to tie a prusik not is like telling me to climb mount everest......

w33kender likes this.
  10. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You can buy a life line and the shorter safety line anywhere you can buy archery equipment. They come with the prussic knot attached.

w33kender likes this.
  11. Xyxus

Xyxus Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Prusik knots are super easy and the whole line is easy to make and you can make better quality than you get with the harness too. Let me find a video.

Matt

Compound bow
    Carbon arrows
    Fixed broadheads

w33kender likes this.
  12. Xyxus

Xyxus Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Not sure I did that right. Basically, a short lifeline. One end has a loop tied into it (not sure what kind of knot, not a boy scout either), the other just a knot. Prusik knot tied to that rope and you attach the harness to the prusik knot. They should talk about how big the rope should be and what not if the links work. Hmmm, I should say "not" again in this post...

Matt

Compound bow
    Carbon arrows
    Fixed broadheads

w33kender likes this.
  13. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great thread. Another bit of advice for using a climber is to get one of those slings that prevent suspension trauma for the worst case scenario. It's good to be attached to the tree from the ground...it's a must...but you must have a plan for dangling in mid air, because that can kill you.

Good luck. Hunting from a climber is wonderful!