5mm axis vs FMJ 5mm

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Mike Foster, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Mike Foster

Mike Foster Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't see a thread on this but was wondering, What if any difference should I anticipate going from the 5mm axis to the FMJ? I am thinking of trying the FMJ out as so many people swear by them and I LOVE the 5mm axis.

2. Simplman

Simplman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Haven’t tried the axis, been using the fmj’s for a few years now. Great arrow for my hunting needs. Very durable arrow that I’m not afraid to put back in my quiver after a miss on a target or pass through on a deer. That being said, they don’t fare too well against a slab floor of a basement lol. Spent the off season just drawing back and holding station to keep my strength up and accidentally let one fly at my basement floor. Bent the tip of the field tip, and put a small crack where the hit insert is. Also a slight bend in the arrow. But at 70# and 28” draw that’s pretty impressive it didn’t do more damage now that I really think about it. Good luck with whatever you choose. Don’t think you can go wrong either way. -Simplman-

3. bowhunt4abuck

bowhunt4abuck Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’m also making this change. Going from the 340 axis to the 300 fmj for the extra wallop. Everyone loves them so I imagine I will too. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

4. vanmeter2r

vanmeter2r Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The Axis is 9 gr per inch and the FMJ is 10.6 gr per inch. They definitely shoot different from each other and if you both shoot them from the same bow, the Axis will alway shoot higher due to weight. Since I shoot both, I would recommend the FMJ over Axis if nothing else than they are way easier to pull out of a targer, due to the aluminum outer shell. Once each is sighted in, they both will shoot straight for you. The biggest difference in the two are the FMJ is roughly $10 more per six. Personally I like my FMJ over the Axis due to the pull from targets. Good luck.

5. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

5mm fmj 340 is 11.3 gpi not 10.6

Rumchada1443 likes this.
  6. Robert Hancock

Robert Hancock Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot both and have had great success with each. The difference I have found is fmj requires more preparation when installing vanes. Not a deal changer but could be an issue.

7. ganderss2424

ganderss2424 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve Been shooting them for about 3 years myself. I wouldn’t be so quick to put them back in your quiver after a miss or pass through the rib cage. Without spin checking them. They bend. And hold a bend. I’ve thrown several arrows out because of this unfortunately. However the pros outweigh the cons for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. iBowhunt

iBowhunt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I may be the minority here, but I used Axis for season, and had 6 of the 12 arrows break. So I thought I'd switch to the FMJ's and give them a go, and had multiple bend. Those are the only Easton arrows I've used, had bad luck with both. I switched to Beman for a couple years and had great luck, and now this year I am giving Gold Tip Hunter Pros a shot.