2012 Hoyt Carbon Element vs. 2012 Mathews Helim

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Atky021, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Atky021

Atky021 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm looking at buying either one of these. I love both but don't know which one to go for hah, any opinions or what do u guys think about them?? pros/cons??

2. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have you shot them both? You really can't tell if you like one or the other without shooting them one after the other.

That being said, I have. I hated the HeliM. I liked the grip on it better than the Z7X But, the draw cycle wasn't to my liking either. Back wall isn't what I would like to shoot all the time either.

I still like the Element but, I still prefer the 2011 with the Fuel cam over the new RKT cam. That being said, this bow is a dream to shoot too me anyways.

You will hear people say go Mathews or go Hoyt. If anyone on here is honest with you they will tell you to shoot both and don't listen to what anyone else tells you. Even the tech at the pro shop. Heck if that means slinging 50 arrows through each of them, do it. YOU are the only one that can make the decision about a bow.

Now go shoot them both until you make up your mind.

3. dgable

dgable Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, shooting both is the only way to tell if you will truly like it and be successful at shooting it. I personally like the Heli-m better than the Element. But that's personal preference. I absolutely hated the Invasion that I shot. Again, shoot it yourself and then make your decision.

4. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, if that's what you have it narrowed down to you can't make a bad decision.
    I personally like the Mathews better, only because I like the feel of a single cam on the release. To me, they are much less harsh. The draw cycle (fuel cam) felt better in my opinion.
    Also, I like the light weight (both bows).
    If I had to buy a new bow right now... I would ask Mathews if they have any intention of making a hel-m xtreme, then buy it or the current.

5. Atky021

Atky021 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i shot both of them last night, well the 2011 element with the fuel cams b.c they didn't have any of the 2012's set up. The guy i talked to that owns the archery place has a 2012 element with the new rocket cams, and he had the 2011 with fuel cams and the 2012 with all the same accessories on it shot 12 FPS faster thru the chrono. If i can get the right price for my bow i think i am going to go with the Element i love Hoyts and i even shot my uncles Z7 and wanted to throw rocks at it lol, but the Heli-m did shoot nice not taking any credit away from Mathews. I just wanted your guys honest opinions and the pros/cons to each i figured u guys would say go shoot them and its up to me, but i was just seeing what u fellas had to say. I like hearing what other ppl have to say hah

6. Mathewshooter

Mathewshooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been shooting Mathews for the last 10 years and out of those 2 bows I would go with the Carbon Element. You really should shoot them both side by side to decide for yourself as I did. If I were to buy another Mathews it would be the Z7 Mag or the MR7. Theres a ton of good bows out there and you should shoot as many as you can before deciding.

7. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, here is my opinion completely. In my honest opinion the HeliM felt like it loaded up bad right before it dropped into the valley. It didn't feel good at all on the draw. Once at the back wall, it felt spongy to me. Shooting it, vibrated way more than I expected it too.

The Hoyt Element RKT, I was a little disappointed. I did like the draw cycle better than the HeliM. It felt smoother than the Mathews and did not load up. It was smooth all the way through and did not vibrate what so ever. Not a bit of kick either.

However, I am not a fan of the RKT cams. I mucpreferer the Fuel cams over the RKT 12fpisn'tnt enough for me tsacrificece draw cycle for or back wall feel. I like a rock solid back wall and thats what you get with the Fuel cam. If I hadn't gotten such a great deal on my Element, I would have a Rampage XT 2011 or 2012 still has the cam I like. The Fuel.

8. BowhuntMN

BowhuntMN Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have shot them both. Now keeping in mind I shoot a Bowtech, I thought the Hoyt shot better, the Mathews had more hand shock. The dealer told me that would diminish when I got it loaded up with accessories. Personally I think you shouldn't have to load a bow up to make it shoot better...

Just my humble opinion

9. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If it helps you at all. The only compounds I used to shoot were mathews. ( switchabck xt, z7 extreme).
    I just bought a Crx32 and an Element (fuel cams).
    I am not a speed freak when it comes to my bows. I want what I shot best and was feels the smoothest in my hands.
    I personally felt that the HELI-M ws a step down from the z7 series of bows.
    Just don't got cheap on your set-up to save a few bucks cause it really does affect the way your bow shoots.
    Both of these new ones will have the QAD hdx on them and a fuse interceptor site. I like the rush black gold because of how bright they are but the new fuse fiber optix are completely encased in a tube except for the very tip that you ned to see for better protection. good luck

10. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I love Mathews and have shot a few other brands and im not impressed with the Helim at all. I think my Z7 is way better. But at the same time i haven't shot the carbon element so i couldn't say which i thought was better.

11. Atky021

Atky021 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    thanks guys for the opinions if u know any one looking for a 2011 rampage xt that's what i have right now, send me a PM i'm thinking of getting rid of it towards the new one

12. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot both bows and personally feel they are very similar in feel both during the draw as well as during and after the shot. They're also very close in weight at 3.5 for the Heli-m and 3.6 for the Carbon Element RKT. Of course the way a bow feels on the shot is subjective and one person may like something I don't.

For me the big difference is the feeling in how they hold at full draw, and the pricetag. The Heli-m is rock solid at full draw b/c of the draw stop. They Hoyt doesn't have a draw stop so there's a little bit of play there. This alone isn't enough to sway a buying decision, but it's just something I noticed. I personally prefer a solid back wall, so the nod goes to the Heli-m in that department.

They both shoot very similar speeds around 330 fps so once again it's a draw there.

The next thing is the pricetag. You're going to pay several hundred more for the Carbon Element b/c of the carbon riser. Yes, I know it's cool. Yes, I understand that it doesn't get cold. But truth be told, my bow hangs on a hanger 99% of the time I'm on stand. And I don't find myself needing to spend a couple hundred extra to be cool. I've pretty much got that department covered. :D

They're both very nice bows and you can't go wrong with either one, but the next buck you see me sitting behind will be courtesy of my Heli-m. :ninja:

13. Atky021

Atky021 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    haha well thanks for the info and like a said the Heli-m is a solid bow and not taking any credit away from it. But i can't wait to see that pic.!