Sometimes life just blows.

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by CoveyMaster, Jul 22, 2016.

1. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not to minimize anyone elses life trouble, trials and tribulations are highly personal and in the scheme of things my petty problems don't impact much in the world. That said, my dog is about to pass and I feel like ****. Terrible feeling of despair to watch something you care for so much just waste away and not a damn thing can be done about it.

Vet thought she had lymphatic carcinoma last year. Put her on prednisone and stuff and she bounced back to somewhat decent health. Last week she started sliding back into a downtrend. I knew what was going on, I've owned dogs all my life but this morning I took her to the vet just to be sure nothing could be done. Vet confirmed via blood test that her system is just shutting down. God help me, I couldn't have her euthanized. She wanted to go back home so here I sit watching her fade with teary eyes.

The other world problems seem a hell of a lot smaller this afternoon.

2. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Most pets are like family members. It blows when this happens. Sorry to hear.

3. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Covey,
    I completely understand how you feel. A few years ago we had to euthanized our Newfoundland. We always had dogs when I was a kid but they were for utility and never really allowed to be pets. My wife talked me into getting a puppy and I was against it because we never had house dogs. Long story short she became like a child to me. Even now as I write this post I can hardly see because of the tears. I love that dog more than most humans I know. Its not easy but we have to move forward but just remember them for what they were, a true friend.

I understand that this might make you angry or hurt you but I have to say that if she is in pain its not fair to let it continue especially if the end in certainly near. This truly is a case of if you love her you will let her go. I understand your dilemma and pain. My condolences.

4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear. We just put my dad's golden down on Weds.

5. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bummer Covey.

I'm sure that your friend has had a very good life.

6. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I know you're right, I should have had the vet do it this morning...I just couldn't. I took her out to try to get a urine sample and she went straight to the car and looked at me to take her home. I couldn't have had the Vet kill her for all the money in the world after that. She wanted to be home so in spite of whatever pain and mess, that's what she got.

She doesn't act like she's in a lot of pain. Vet said with renal failure they are a bit nauseated and probably incontinence but usually slide off to sleep and don't wake up. She's in front of the AC on her bed obviously feeling bad but resting.

My brother in law and sister lost their old yellow lab a couple weeks ago to old age and cancer. Brother in law in spite of raising him from a pup and owning him for umpteen years just shot him. I think the world of my brother in law, I just don't see how anyone can do that. I've had a dog euthanized before here at home but a different vet did it. That dog was 17 years old and had a tumor in her sinus cavity so she started getting nose bleeds. The vet gave me coagulant shots to give her and those worked for a long time but eventually one morning she was just not with it and was in pain and bleeding from the nose and in terrible pain like a headache. Shots didn't stop the bleeding and she was almost unresponsive but awake. Vet came out and gave her an injection and she peacefully but immediately went to sleep and passed.

About a month after I had that dog put down, I bought this one and had her since 2004 when she was five weeks old. I know it's selfish and wrong to let her linger, right now there's just nothing more I can bring myself to do. My dad would have been man enough to dispatched her when he was my age, I'm just too sentimental and don't have the gumption.

7. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Having farmed for a lot of years, I have put a lot of animals down over the years. It got to the point that a lot of the neighbors would ask me to come over to their places to put their animals down for them. Put one of my horses down two years ago because he had a urinary tract blockage and was in so much pain. Getting harder to do as I'm getting older. Don't know why. It's a hard decision when it's an old friend.

What ever you decide, I'm sure that it will be what is right for you and your friend. Best to you.

8. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear that Covey.
    I know the feeling as last fall we had to put down my beagle that I had since I was 7,I cried every night in bed for almost two weeks.

9. 18andrew

18andrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm so sorry to hear his man.. Sometimes life really does get tough.

10. choppersk61

choppersk61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Oh man, sorry to hear that.

I know exactly how you feel, just had to put down my best friend of 11 years last February. (The one in my Avatar...)
    After spending over $2000 on vet bills that did nothing good. He had a cancerous tumor on the side of his jaw that kept getting bigger.

Hardest thing I ever had to do...
    He couldn't stand the vet, and I didn't want him to have his last day there...so we went for one last hunt. Oufff....

I wish you a good deal of courage...

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  11. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry about your dog I know I'm dreading the day I have to do that to my dog. I don't think I could deal with that right now we just lost 2 people in our family in the last month and that still stings but my heart feels your pain

12. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's tough man.

13. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate the sentiment. Condolences to everyone's losses, it's a rough pill to swallow.

I thought I was really attached to all the pets I've had over the years but this one has always been something special. She's the one I had in my avatar forever. I changed it after her bad spell last year, I knew I might as well get used to not looking at it because I'd fall apart every time I saw it after she passed. I have three other dogs and three cats but I still can't even imagine going a day without her. I'd rather lob off my right hand, literally.

14. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear this.

15. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My thoughts are with you covey. You're right, life does suck sometimes. Just try and focus on all the time you got to share with each other. Hang in there brother.

16. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    This is a good point, she could have very easily went ahead and degraded and passed last year, instead we got her fixed up and we were all happy for nearly another year. That was a great gift.

17. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Damn sorry to hear brother. I love my two beagles more than anything, I dread the day. Sending some prayers your way.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks man, appreciate it. At this point I'm praying for her to go peacefully and quickly.

19. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for your loss it sucks, and this is from a guy who made the transition to little dogs. Big dogs die early and too fast it sucks I have not grouse hunted since my prized retriever died, Damn little dogs have somehow filled that void. If a man does not cry at the loss of a dog that was there every day I have no time for him, go forward but appreciate what you had.

20. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You did the right thing and you will know when it is time.

Tags: