Playa Del Carmen Mexico

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by MnHunterr, Apr 26, 2016.

1. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Heading to Playa Del Carmen all inclusive for a week starting tomorrow for a best friends wedding.

Has anyone been?

I'm interested in deep sea fishing with the guys but I've heard horror stories from some who say it is not worth it. If anyone has been I would like to hear how it went.

Deerhunter 28 likes this.
  2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would fish near shore live lining minnows and reeling in what ever bites vs the long rides, rough seas, and fishing with a rod like a 2 x 4 with steel cable and the fish feel like you are reeling in a concrete block.

3. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    I had no idea that there were different possibilities on where/how to fish? I just assumed they take you out to sea and you fish.

4. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have had tremendous fishing off of Cancun and Isla Mejeres. It all depends on when you are there. Try to go to the docks when the charters are coming back in some afternoon and ask how they did. Don't ask the captains, ask the fishermen. If its windy, it may be really rough. But, I have also been out when it was very calm. Take Dramamine and it shouldn't be a factor. It is also very reasonable. We normally charter our own boat for about $600 for the day plus tips and then you can come back in whenever you want. Divided a few ways, that is really inexpensive. That being said, I have also been out when we were lucky to just catch a few small barracuda. It is still fishing, and no guaranties. But, always a good time on the water. We had one outing in March a few years ago that was non-stop action for sailfish. We all boated fish until we really did not care to catch another. It was really rough that day, but the fishing was beyond anything I have ever seen. Multiple times we had doubles.
    184993_1735029268576_1623926878_1575803_2309728_n[1] (2).jpg

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Near shore charters, Was out with my wife and kids and my mom for just a half day we mostly just caught lady fish (a rough fish) but we were reeling in like crazy having a big time. Wind usually isn't as big a factor near shore either. Don't get me wrong the deep sea stuff is fun but I like a little lighter tackle fishing.

6. MN_Jay

MN_Jay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Trip advisor has forums specific to locations in Mexico. I bet you can get a lot of questions answered there with people who spend a lot of time there. I bet you can also get some names of reputable boat captains to look up when you get there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    Nice!! Never thought to look here... Pretty much answering every question I have.

Thanks!

8. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I went there like 30 years ago but from what I remember, the beaches were beautiful!

9. kspseshooter

kspseshooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been to Playa Del Carmen with a my wife and some good friends of ours. Didn't go fishing. But I did get my money's worth of beach, food and drinks!! It's a beautiful place

10. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just saw this post and your probobly already gone but I just got back. Talked to some folks who had a great fishing trip while we were there. We had a great time. I think I drank my body weight in tequila while I was there.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  11. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've been there but never fishing. Went for our honeymoon..............dang that took too long to recall. 14 years ago. We stayed at the Moon Palace Resort near Cancun. Very nice!

12. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    Bumping my thread from last year... We enjoyed our trip so much last year that we booked another week at a Riu Hotel.

This year we are going to Mazatlan and staying at the Riu Emerald Bay. Anyone been? I've been reading all of the Trip Advisor reviews and it seems like a decent place. I would like to go on another fishing trip while I'm down there if anyone has been/has suggestions.

13. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    And yet I'm still thirsty for beer here in Wisconsin. :busted:

14. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Spent a few days there with my wife. The name was Rosewood something or other. Beautiful beaches, beautiful women, beautiful place all the way around.

15. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I went to Mazatlan a few years ago. I was there for the duck hunting which was very good. Its not as nice as the Caribbean/gulf side. I don't remember where we stayed but it was south of where your staying across from the islands. Beach was ok, water was cold. I would go again just for the duck hunting.

16. MN_Jay

MN_Jay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I stayed at that hotel maybe four or five years ago when they first opened. Quite a bit nicer than your average Mexican resort. The buffet is huge which helps after about a week of eating the same food. The hotel sits on a huge beach that stretches for miles. There is a restaurant that sits at the end of the beach to the north, it used to have really good authentic Mexican food, no idea if it's still there though

MnHunterr likes this.
  17. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We have a time share there and it was really nice! I loved the beach in Mazatlan but I dont know much about the activities that you can do there..

18. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Never been to Playa Del Carmen, but did go to the Grand Velas in Riviera Maya. It was awesome, and probably the best trip/resort I've been to like this. Enjoy the trip, and good luck fishing!

19. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    The day before you leave for a trip is the worst... Being at work the day before you leave for a trip is torture.

Cerveza's and tequila boom booms are calling my name.

virginiashadow likes this.
  20. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Jake are you flying out of MSP? If so go thru security towards the A gate, the line is much shorter, every bit helps during spring break season.