Phones and your current plan setup.

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by MGH_PA, Jan 16, 2016.

1. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Time to upgrade my 2.5yr old S4. I wanted to keep it for as long as possible as smartphones have such a short life cycle to begin with that is coupled with such an extremely inflated price point, it doesn't make sense to me to upgrade much.

I'm currently grandfathered into a pre-edge Verizon plan from 3 years ago. I only have 2GB of data for myself and 2GB for my wife. We both have S4s.

We're considering going away from Verizon and AT&T directly and just going Crickett as one option. I would still be using AT&T towers, but with a more budget friendly month by month package.

I just hate Verizon as a company (AT&T isn't much better), but in our rural area, they're the only two with consistent coverage.

Phone wise I'm looking for as little bloat as possible. The Huawei line is one I'm considering for this main reason.

I want a good camera, responsiveness, and great battery life, and no fruit as the company logo :)

So, what is everyone running, how are you liking it, and how is your plan setup?

2. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm running Verizon right now. And I hate them. They like to pad your data use. I called them on it and suddenly my data use dropped.
    Crooked bastards. Sprint reception is horrid where I'm at, Att has the worst customer service. Unfortunately the only two cell companies that I liked are defunked or no longer in my area.
    Had Nextel for years, the sprint bought them out. Went to UScellular after that and would have never left except Sprint bought their market here.(sprint ruins everything)
    If UScellular has service in your are look into them, they're awesome to deal with.
    But in my area they all suck,but Verizon has the best reception in my area so that what I'm stuck with.
    As far as phones I've been using Motorola since as far back as I can recall.
    Their layout works well for me.
    Droid turbo is what I'm currently on and have no complaints.

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We have a cricket account right now, been about a year since I switched over to them.
    My only complaint is that I didn't do sooner.
    Much cheaper and better over all service then I had with AT&T

4. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I had verizon....couldn't stomach the bill. Went to smart talk and hated the phone but loved the unlimited data..back to Verizon and I am 1 of 5 on a Family share plan...pay $58.00 a month for each phone and I love my Galaxy but I miss the unlimited data

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

5. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We've switched over to a cricket plan and like it. On my recommendations another guy's family has switched to a cricket plan recently and they like it. I've never been on a contract plan with one of the big companies so I don't have anything to compare it to. We were on a track phone using huwaii phones and really had no complaints except that we had to watch our minutes,text and data. Since switching to cricket we've dropped our land line and the cost per month for phone is cheaper. Oh,were running S4's for us they are all we need.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  6. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    We have 2 plans.
    Mine, a work subsidized att; s5 effectively no limits. I was able to grandfather my unlimited data with the phone. Work pools minutes + unlimited texting - great deal, but for work and generally on wifi so it matters little.

The rest of the fam an att family all apple products with everybody with 3gb data except my wife who has unlimited data and pooled minutes.

Atts service is horrible! I avoid them at all cost. But based on the topology where we live it is really the only choice from the house.

7. Sswpriz

Sswpriz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Being in Wisconsin I am fortunate that I can use US Cellular, unlimited talk, unlimited text, but I only have 1 GB of data on my plan, I just don't use my phone for items that burn up data, all for $39.95 a month.
    If I use 500MB of data a month, that would be pushing it.
    Service, I have no complaints from US Cellular.

8. BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    FYI AT&T owns Cricket and have so for a couple of years now. Cricket is fine as long as you're aware that your data speed is capped at 8MB. It's fine for most things though. It will also most likely come to a crawl in congested areas. I've had both Cricket and GoPhone. Currently on GoPhone but just picked up a SIM card for Cricket. Coverage is similar but with my data usage I can save about $20/month on Cricket. I'd recommend getting a phone off of Swappa.com if you want to try Cricket. I got my HTC M8 from there. An unlocked GSM phone or locked AT&T phone will work. You can get SIM cards at Target for $10. Activate it over the phone or online. They charge $25 for activation in store.

9. NateJR_PABOWHUNTING

NateJR_PABOWHUNTING Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have Verizon and the offered a good deal that didn't involve a contact. They also gave us a deal where if you traded in any smart phone you'd get $100 credit, 2mb extra for each new phone, along with $200 in free accessories. I got the new Motorola adroid and am paying $19.99 a month for the phone and $20 for the service.. So $40 a month which is almost $20/cheaper than I payed before the new offer and have a brand new phone with a better data plan.

10. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Youbare on a family share plan, right?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

11. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My wife and I are on unlimited everything, granfathered in with AT&T. Have been with them for about 15 years. I get a 25% discount off of my line on my bill thru work, we just bought my 12yo a iPhone 6+ and added 3gb a month for him. My bill is around $175 a month for the whole family.

12. NateJR_PABOWHUNTING

NateJR_PABOWHUNTING Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah it's a family share plan.. 5 lines on the plan.

13. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wife and I have Verizon. Pay $130 a month for unlimited talk and text and 8GB data.

14. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Impressive. We pay $177/month for that with only 4GB.

I'm just not a fan of contracts or phone leasing.

I'm thinking of just getting a prepaid SIM from Verizon and buying my own phone and calling it a day.

15. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    First off, I sure hope some of you mean GB and not MB. I'd hate to have my data capped at 8MB.

We have an AT&T Family Plan. Three lines (all iPhones), one iPhone on Next Plan, unlimited talk/text, and 30GB data for $260/month. I've been with AT&T a long time, and perfectly happy with their service here in my area.

16. BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I should have clarified. It's the data speed that is capped, not the amount of data. I actually just finished porting back to Cricket. $35/month for 2.5GB of data on AT&T towers is a no brainer. More money for hunting stuff.

17. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Got ya. Most people don't talk about their data speed. The conversation usually refers to their amount of data. Thanks for clarifying.

18. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Using AT&T but that has a lot to do with the AT&T cell tower site and antennas attached to a silo on the farm.

Really good service when you can see the antennas out your window.

19. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Using AT&T but that has a lot to do with the AT&T cell tower site and antennas attached to a silo on the farm.

Really good service when you can see the antennas out your window.

20. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have Sprint. 3 I phones and 1 Samsung and 2 tablets. With tax I am around $300.00 a month and been that way for years. Its one bill I hate.