Looking at buying a Jeep

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by sethf11, Jun 8, 2016.

1. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Any jeep owners out there?

I have been looking at picking up a used Wrangler for a while as a toy. Found s 1997 with 150k on it. Seller is a power sports dealer who says its runs and drives 100%.

Asking $4950 OBO.

might be able to take it for $4400 or so. Thoughts?

ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1465438699.803929.jpg
    ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1465438711.186561.jpg

2. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All used cars "run and drive 100%" according to the used car salesman lol. What does it sound like when it's idling? Does he have a maintenance history on it? How new are the plugs and tires? All things to check, I've always wanted a jeep for a toy too. Hope it works out for you and you get a good deal! Good luck!

3. Hoytxhunter

Hoytxhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    IMO if your gonna go old school jeep then I would say a scrambler. I grew up driving one on the farm and deer leases. My dad sold it 3 months before I came back home from college. Not happy about that. So years later my wife tells me for my birthday she bought me an 83 scrambler. I just had to drive up to Ft. Wayne to get it. I drive it around some but need to put a new frame on it (road salt from the north) I would say that is the best all around jeep and most collectable and valuable. Restored sell for over 20K. Thats just my 2 cents worth.

4. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not taking their word for condition. My buddy who knows a ton about vehicles is going with me. He has a jeep and knows what to look for. This will be a toy in the garage that I cruise with on nice nights in the summer with the kids for fun. Probably 2k miles a year. Probably take the top off and never put it back on.

5. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My gpa had an old army CJ5 that he restored. It was just a toy. We had a blast in that thing

6. pitzer25

pitzer25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have always wanted a jeep but I refuse to pay what people want for them. It never made sense to me. It's your decision but I would never pay around $4500 for a nearly 20yr old vehicle with high miles.

7. takemrarely

takemrarely Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Agree with Pitzer ...that's a lot of mile....lot of Jeeps available.... take your time and find a deal....they are fun though....my bet is that the "drive once in a while" thing won't last long

8. Ruttin1

Ruttin1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Couple things to look for on an old Jeep. Is it the 4.0 or the 2.5L engine? If it is the 4.0 definitely worth it. That thing was a workhorse. 2.5 and I would low ball or walk. Next get down under the vehicle and look at the condition of the frame. If there are any holes or severely pitted areas from rust than don't do it. If the frame and engine are good, you've probably got a keeper for some time to come.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you like it and want it Id offer $2500. If he doesn't like it, walk! That's a 20 year old gasser. Taking your buddy along is a great idea

10. Jeremy/PA

Jeremy/PA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I miss my Wrangler almost daily. All it takes is usually seeing one and it gets me thinking.

But like nearly everyone that had a Jeep and had kids, the Wrangler isn't a family care. Now the kids are a little older and it would be okay to get around in again, I want one bad. However, it's that dang 66 mile round trip to work that doesn't work for a Jeep now.

I'd say keeping looking. You may spend a little more, but you'd get less miles and something not 20 years old. Unless you are looking to do some off-roading with it and swapping a ton of stuff out anyway.

11. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I own a 2000 Jeep Cherokee. They have the same engines as the Wranglers from 94-2000. Get one with an inline-6 cyclinder instead of a V-6 or 8. The inline-6 holds up better with the high miles. I have 185K on mine. It runs great. Did a 4000 mile road trip last summer without any trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Almost everything around me has that many miles if not more for the year.

I agree that $4500 may be a good chunk for a 20 year old ride. But it's a toy. I figure I can always make the money back if need be.

13. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a wrangler if I could change one thing it would be the soft top. Anybody can get into the thing using a thumb.

14. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The 2018's are going to have an aluminum body and optional diesel engine...they are claiming 30+ mpg on a Wrangler Unlimited.

15. Sswpriz

Sswpriz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    JEEP..........J (ust) E (mpty) E (very) P (ocket).
    I love them, I have a 99 Cherokee. That 4.0 engine is bullet proof. It's everything else that you have to repair or replace.

16. Ruttin1

Ruttin1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Diesel engine yes. Aluminum body, no.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. takemrarely

takemrarely Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Had a 95 and the frame rusted out...just found a 2013 with 37,000 miles and bought it....will never not own one again....freedom panels come off in minutes w/o tools.....but hey....it's a jeep thing......some just don't get it......

18. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That jeep was a bust. The frame had been repaired very badly and had complete holes under the terrible patch. It was leaking gear oil from the rear end and a leak of some sort from the front near the power steering unit. Had to pass on that one. I'll keep looking. Maybe just give it a few weeks to a month and see if the urge passes.

19. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Glad you found it before you bought it.