Flex time at work

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by BJE80, Jan 29, 2016.

1. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Who has it ? How does yours work? Does it seem to impact the work flow or does business carry on as normal when someone is gone?

I am working together with some co-workers and try and propose this to the powers that be at my work. We have some ideas but I want to get this right the first time so I want to hear about others successes and failures.

Thanks.

2. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We're supposed to have it but i haven't seen a lick of it. Still work 60+ hours a week and can't get it all done.

3. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Well how is yours supposed to work.

An employer is only going to bite off on it if the work gets done. That is a no brainer.

4. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It depends on the employer, their policies, state, type of worker (contract v fte, hourly v salary) and boys.

My experience is if you're salaried you're easily working 40+ hr/wk. And if you have a cool boss, stuff is getting done and you've logged the 40+ (or have "the time in the bank") already and need the time off its coordinating with boss and colleagues...maybe with some documentation (system record, email, etc).

If you're part time is usually getting somebody to cover your shift and unpaid time.

Exceptions are usually company policy, contact worker, big project and/or a boss that's a ****.

5. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am trying to propose getting one three day weekend per month by working 4 tens that week and then rotate between our department so that one person has a 3 day weekend every week.

6. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I had a job once that offered work 4 10s and get 1 day off per week. The bickering was over who got which day of the week...if you can effectively coordinate a rotating schedule (e.g. monthly folks get 1 Friday off ) or operate with less bodies each week on a Friday/Monday to make it work, go for it...probably will depend more on the industry and work being performed...perhaps with some form of policy in place to formalize and document how it will be tracked/function.

7. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I give my guys the option of 4 tens in the winter, as long as they let me know that's what they want to do.
    In the busy summer months, we are usually working 6 tens just to get all of the work done.

8. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    First off if you are proposing this to your boss or business owner, it has to be beneficial to them too so keep that in mind. My job has a lot of different shifts. We have 12, 10, and 8 hour days. We also have a 9x80 thing but I've never worked that particular shift. I can "flex" time without a problem. I currently work 4 10's Tuesday thru Friday. If something comes up and I work a Monday, then I can take another regular work day off to make up for it but it has to be in the same pay period. The key for that is making it happen int he same pay period. Your company will want to do this to avoid having some sort of "banking system" to keep track of the hours. Additionally if you don't report the actual hours you worked accurately, there could be some legal issues with false reporting of hours.

The 9 - 80 thing is basically working 9 days in a pay period for 9 hours a day with one of those 9 days being an 8 hour day. Most people have either every other Monday off or every other Friday off. It could work with a day in the middle of the week too but just depends on what you're looking for.

Our best schedule is our 12's honestly. We have 2 shifts and well call them squad 1 and squad 2. Squad 1 works Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and every other Wednesday. Squad 2 works every other Wednesday, Thursday Friday and Saturday. With one of the work days in the pay period being an 8 hour day for the employee, all other work days are 12 hour days. It's awesome because in a 14 day pay period, you work 7 and you're off 7. Lots of time for hunting and other stuff. Who can complain about getting a 3 or 4 day weekend every other week right!

We also run a 24x7 operation. I work in law enforcement so that may help explain all the shifts and stuff. We have minimum staffing requirements and only so many can be on vacation at one time. If a holiday falls on your regular work day, you work unless you take vacation. We also have seniority and bidding for vacation, shifts and stuff like that too.

If you are normally an 8 x 5 Mon - Fri business, your best shot is probably the 9 x 80 schedule. But if you run 24 x 7 like us, 12's is the deal. Hopefully that helps and all makes sense. If not shot me a PM and I can explain better more with what might fit what you're looking for.

9. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am supposed to work 10 on 4 off as a salaried worker. That said, by the end of next pay period I'll have worked 23 out of 24 straight days. I can't complain though as we at least get compensated hourly for any OT over 80 hours in a 2 week period. PTO must be approved a month in advance (otherwise it's up to you to find your own coverage within the district). We don't have a "flex system" per se, but we do get to design our own schedules between the two staff pharmacists as long as all the shifts are covered.

10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have the ability to work at home in the morning, get on the lap top deal with the east coast Reps, go to the office for 4-6 hours and go home and deal with the west coast reps. I often tell people in the office it is not as easy as I make it look, granted I pay the price of traveling Sunday to Thursday 20 weeks out of the year but it all works out as long as numbers are up. Heck I could shoot somebody in the street and not lose my job.

11. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Best schedule I was ever associated with and that all the employees loved was a 4 days on and 4 days off 12 hour shift on a 24/7 continuous production schedule. Day shift stays day shift and night shift stays night shift. We had voluntary overtime and you could basically write your own check or you could take the time off with no mandatory overtime. We now work a 6 days on 3 days off rotating schedule in that you work 6 shifts on day shift and then off 3 days then come back and work 6 shifts on night then 3 days on and come back to the day shifts. I absolutely hate that because you can never get used to it. Messes with your sleep cycle badly. Granted not specifically flex time by more of alternative scheduling.

12. sheddinva

sheddinva Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot somebody in the street? What kind of job do you have lol

13. Dunlap

Dunlap Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Flex hours where I work. As long as you get your 40 hrs in by the end of the week you don't get an occurrence. You can stay over oe come in early to accomplish this or come work saturday. Just as long as you get your 40

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

14. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Wow that would be awesome.

15. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We split our crew and rotate so we get a four day weekend every other weekend. My crew would be on our four day this weekend, so we're scheduled to work Tuesday - Friday, have Saturday and Sunday off, then work Monday - Thursday, with the four days, Friday - Monday off. I don't know how big your department is, how much work you guys have, etc., but this works for us.

16. Dunlap

Dunlap Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It works for our department but with flex your on call and sometimes they call us or catch us right before time to go home and make us stay a little later or come in earlier. On the other side of It we can come in later or go home early on another day if we want

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

17. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Some bosses use it as a way around time and a half pay so be clear as to what your signing up for.