Ear bud while working

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by BJE80, Jun 15, 2015.

1. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Just getting a feel for other people that work in an office setting. Is it common practice and acceptable for people to have an ear bud in plugged into your phone while working? Maybe I'm old school but it just seems unprofessional.

It will depend on the job and company I'm sure. Some jobs like data entry I could see it being OK.

I work in a professional/technical office. The ear buds are a no no to me but I see it occurring more and more often especially in younger aged workers. Thoughts?

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am anti ear bud as well, the younger kids and their ear buds and plugging in and recharging their phone any place they can find an outlet bugs me as well.

3. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have had experience that goes both ways in the Engineering office. At my old job they said we could wear ear buds and everyone did. At my new jib at Minn Kota nobody here wears ear buds that I have seen. Maybe it's because of all the fishing stories that are being told! :tu:

4. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They bug the crap out of me...especially when people wear them and they aren't even on the phone

5. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've never heard of people doing it. I personally wouldn't/couldn't due to answering phones. I could see some jobs allowing it, like you said - data entry. But, any bigger office, it'd just be unprofessional.

6. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That is what I am talking about. Just listening music or whatever from your phone. If someone has a phone headset on that is a different story.

7. jemcmichael

jemcmichael Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've used them at my old job. A lot of data entry and excel work. The headphones helped me to focus.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

8. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm 26 and work as an account manager in an office with about 40 people... I wear them occasionally as do other members of my team.

As long as we are productive and getting the work done we need to have done it doesn't bother me. Obviously we won't be wearing them when a client visits, etc.

9. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Do they announce every time a client visits?

10. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Majority of the time, yes - I've actually seen people with ear buds in while a client is here.

11. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I work for a very large manufacturer of automobiles and industrial equipment. Ear buds are specifically not allowed. I think it's kind of annoying (before they banned them).
    The only real exceptions are the ear buds used for phones and radios, and occasionally I'll get a video from the field of an issue that I use my ear buds for instead of using the speaker.
    As far as professional, i'm on the fence. Yes it's annoying and doesn't look the greatest, but at the same time is shows a productive and focused employee.

12. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I work in an underwriting department of a large bank (not a branch location). Ear buds are fairly common in my department. I rarely use them but have occasionally. Most communication here is done via email or instant message. I guess I couldn't care less if people are using them or not as long as the are doing their job.

13. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

I don’t think it hurts productivity. I just think it looks unprofessional.

14. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on what I'm working on. Sometimes I listen to music or podcasts while working on some of the more routine mundane tasks. I think it depends on the position, if you are in customer service or take calls/walk ups for anything then I would say it's unprofessional. I'm a technical engineer and generally left alone unless stuff hits the fan, but I guess that's what happens when you run an Email environment for a fortune 50 company :)

15. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Kinda like posting on a website from work?;)

16. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I work in Data Entry so headphones are a must. People talking about dumb s**t is more distractive/unprofessional than listening to podcasts or music.

It has everything to do with job type, though. If you get a decent amount of calls or visitors to your desk then I'd say they shouldn't be used.

17. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I listen to music while I work but I have to take occasional phone calls so can't practically wear them.

too many of the younger generation just live their lives in a "checked-out" manner. They would rather have earbuds in listening to some bad music instead of engaging with society.

18. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ^Agreed. I am all for working in productivity but I can't stand people who are glued to their phones or media. There's some who aren't that much younger than me and they can't even hold a conversation without pulling out their phone and getting distracted. I just walk away from them and they wonder why I don't bother talking to them anymore. I personally don't listen to music while driving all that much and only on occasion at work when doing something that I could practically do in my sleep, but I never ever let it distract me in a conversation or when I am around others.

19. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well I don't listen to music so I can't comment first hand. But it pisses me off when people have them in 24/7 and you can't get there attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. jemcmichael

jemcmichael Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is definitely a different thing. I always keep my music low and never use the in ear buds that cancel noise

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk