Buying up arrows instead of ammo, etc!?!

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by illinibowhunter, Jan 12, 2013.

1. illinibowhunter

illinibowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So I live in central Illinois and it just so happens that my parents are vacationing in Florida and decided to visit a Bass Pro Shop next to their hotel. My dad is big into guns too, so we've been stopping in to different stores just checking what they have in stock for AR parts, ammo, mags, etc.

They started talking to the manager of the gun section and he was mentioning all the things that they've been out of stock with and he mentioned that they have not been able to keep arrows on the shelf. My parents probed the guy a little further and he basically stated that since ammo has been on such a large shortage that people are buying up arrows because "in case anything ever happens they can fire a bow and it is a silent killer."

I couldn't believe that people are even buying up arrows for personal home protection. My parents walked over the bowhunting aisle and he was correct there were no arrows in stock.

Has anyone else heard anything like this??

2. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Makes perfect sense

3. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would have guessed that no arrows were in stock because the season is ending and all the new arrows haven't hit the market yet.

4. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    For home defense, you'd think it would be bolts and xbows out of stock

5. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Seriously....arrows for home protection??? I think some people have seen too many Rambo movies.

I don't understand the "silent killer" part either. If some dude/dudes show up at my house with the intention of threatening my life they are getting pumped full of buck shot. Who cares if it makes noise if you are legally protecting yourself.

6. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Im guessing more along the lines of a mass attack on the country...or zombies...

7. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^ This. Not sure what the advantage to being quiet would be if someone is breaking into house.

8. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was thinking more along the lines of the sheet hittin the fan in general and needing to provide more than just home protection. Bullets will go quickly I can kill alot of critters with just one arrow.

9. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    If SHTF to the point that some people are preparing for, I have no desire to still be thriving.

10. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No doubt!

11. StrikeForce

StrikeForce Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly. Situations like this go to show how out of touch people can be with reality. People seem to be throwing all common sense and logic out the window lately. If we get to the point where we're under attack from the government, we'll have bigger issues than how much ammo and how many arrows you have.

Red meat is not bad for you. Green fuzzy meat is bad for you!

12. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If SHTF that bad wild game won't be around long either...people will kill them and eat them until there is nothing left

13. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't say its not realistic. Our civil war was not even 160 years ago. Our goverment is trying to slowly disarm us and if they got it to the point where all we had are bolt action rifles and 6 shooters, the millions, if not billions of people who hate America over seas would do more then fly a plane into a building I'm sure. Sometimes I think we are a little to comfortable here. It's only a matter of time till that comfort get challenged. I just hope I'm dead and gone for it...especially with someone like Obama "leading" us.

14. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Some people don't remember the y2k scare, a few people start a koolaid stand and then the line goes around the corner and then down the block. The news media feeds this crap out then the people line up at the gun shops and wall-e world like the world is ending.

Please get a grip, the next big news story everyone will forget what happened last week.

15. illinibowhunter

illinibowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I thought it was crazy too! As long as I can buy arrows for next years bowhunting season i am good :)