Fitness tips

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by charleshibner92, Feb 16, 2017.

1. charleshibner92

charleshibner92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok guys im not fitness expert or anythin in fact ive been kinda the opposite most of my life BUT now it need to come off or somthin anythin u have tips,tricks,ect. let me know I am a big guy.. bones are thick lol in fact i get askd all the time if i play football and yes some of its fat wel.. actually a LOT of it is and jus need the poor boys way of musclen up and maybe get back to the pre marriage wieght. Thanks in advance

2. Donkey Deerz

Donkey Deerz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm no expert and it might be best to talk to your doctor first but I would start as slow as you need to even if that just means going for walks at first. Then start walking/ jogging in 1 min intervals for a time or set distance a few times a week and just build up from there. If you enjoy biking then bike. The key is finding what you enjoy or tolerate and making part of your routine.

Muscle and fitness and onnit are good sources of information.

If you plan to lift weights I'd keep it simple with complex movements especially if you haven't lifted in the past. Maybe something like

Mon- chest/triceps
    Tues- walk/run
    Wed- Back/biceps/core
    Thurs- walk/run
    Fri-Legs/shoulders
    Sat- rest or walk/run
    Sun- rest day

Diet also plays a huge role in your fitness and overall health. Look to cut down on your sugars and grains and increase lean proteins, fruits, vegetables, and complex carbs. Drink plenty of water! Hope this helps.

3. kwachHTX

kwachHTX Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am a former personal trainer and the best advice I can give people is consistency. If you can get into a regimen and stick to it on a weekly basis you will get the best results. Most people over think it and think only certain exercises will get results, that is not the case. If you can stick with doing 3 days a week of both cardio (running, walking, elliptical, biking etc.) and strength training you will be on the right path. Unfortunately results will not be seen overnight, it takes time. As Donkey Deerz listed above, that is a good regimen, it provides structure and takes the guessing out of it when you go exercise. And yes nutrition does play a huge role! Good Luck!

4. charleshibner92

Dislikes Received:
    Wel thanks! Never thought id b to the point that I actually neeeded to work out but gettin married i gained at least 50# (she a good cook and they say bein content will do it) wanting to go elk hunting and its got to come off so ive got to get serious. Jus never done it and sequence of how to work out in my mind plays a big part in not needing to take epsome salt baths every night lol

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am no personal trainer, dietician, or fitness expert. Simplest formula and truth you have to burn more calories than you take in. Some easy ways, quit soda, and energy drinks. Quit fast foods. One of the biggest things is staying active, not always exercise but stay on your feet and active till dark, don't come home from work, eat and plop down in a chair and watch TV till you go to bed.

6. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hike a few times a month, there are several trails near by that I can get 700-850 feet of elevation gain. I do it with a 40 pound ruck. I also use my wife's treadmill twice a week, with and without a ruck.
    Even though I packed out a pair of moose and mule deer this year I feel like I could stand to be in better shape. I have good strength in my core and legs for hiking and packing however I think I need to improve my cardio and also drop about 15 pounds more. I really felt lacking in cardio this year at 6500-9000 feet, something I haven't had an issue in the past with.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  7. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bottom line bud, just do it.

Don't make working out a chore make it how your living the rest of your life, in better health. Don't worry about what kind of shape you see other guys in just be a little better you each day.

This site has some great simple workouts.
    Hundred Pushups

Be selfish each day for 1/2 hour and do something all about you and your health.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Great advice from everyone already. The biggest thing for me is to just do it. Get my butt in the gym each morning and get in a routine. It takes a little while, but once you're in it, it just becomes a part of your life.

Start slow. Walk each night/morning before/after work. Do as many push ups as you can, etc. Once you get started it is real easy to maintain the course, and after time that course will show results.

As others have mentioned... Nutrition is huge. Even bigger than getting your butt active. If you have a hard time with dieting, download the app "MyFitness Pal" and track everything you eat/drink in a day. If you drink a lot of pop, beer, and juice just cut back at first, and then eliminate it all together. I used to drink 3-4 cans of Mountain Dew a day but I've cut that out and now force myself to drink a gallon of water a day. I also used to drink 3-4 beers after work which I have also cut out. Save the beer for Saturday.

You mentioned your wife is a good cook... That is perfect. Instead of cooking bad things, have her start cooking good things. I live off of chicken breasts and vegetables. It doesn't sound appealing, but you can find recipes where the flavor will blow you away. Research "Meal Prepping." Essentially you just cook a weeks worth of healthy lunches/dinners on Sunday and eat them throughout the week.

I could go on and on. Tons of info out there. You just need to "want it."

9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It costs more but eat fresh vegetables, whole foods rather than processed.

10. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

But, in all honesty - great advice given. I joined the gym last year and as much as I dread going, it does wonders on making me feel better. Just need to be consistent between the exercise and the "clean" eating. Portions are another good thing to remember. Not sure what you do for work - but look into "meal prepping" online. I use pinterest, there are a ton of healthy meals that you can cook and save for lunch for the work week. So much healthier (and cheaper) then going out buying lunch every day.

11. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Theres no trick just burn more calories than you consume and you will lose weight. No exercise is needed but you will have better and longer lasting results if you adopt a balanced exercise program.

There are some folks in the Over 35 section that were once where you are and are now in the best shape of their lives.
    Good luck.
    Over Age 35 - Bodybuilding.com Forums

12. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Consistency is key. The key to remaining consistent is finding the form of exercise that you will stick with long enough to accomplish your goals. That said, always choose form over intensity. If you can not perform it right, you will injure yourself. It is impossible to out-exercise a crappy diet! It is impossible to out-exercise a crappy diet! IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO OUT-EXERCISE A CRAPPY DIET! When I went through my own weight loss journey in high school, progress was nonexistent until I started taking nutrition seriously.

Nothing Impossible.jpeg

13. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    700-850? Lol, that's getting out of the parking lot here.

14. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    As most on here know, 'cause I've bragged about it alot, last year I lost over 100 lbs. There is no quick easy fix. It is simply burning more calories than you consume. There are some tips that will help though. Planning what you will order if you are going out. The calorie counts for most restaurants are on the internet. If there's a meal that you think you just can't live without, split with your partner, half the portion=half the calories. Don't think that just because you exercised today you can reward yourself by eating what you want for the day. It only takes one Mcflurry to undo about an hour of exercise. I always reminded myself of that when I was in the weight loss part of my journey. When. I was tempted, I kept that fact in mind. You can eat fast food but you just have to keep track of the calories. Believe it or not, Taco Bell is a good choice because their foods are generally lower in calories compared to some of the other places. But most fast food places have lower calorie choices, you just have to be selective. As has been mentioned, consistency is the key. You have to do this every day. Also, if you fall off the wagon on one meal, get right back on the horse the next time. One bad choice will only undo everything if you give up completely. Exercise is important because not only will it help you to lose weight faster, it will also improve your health and give you a more positive outlook. Even now after being in this program for over two years, I find that on the days I don't go to the gym, I don't feel nearly as energetic or postive as I do on the days I do go. By the way, I'm over 60 and if I can do this anyone can. Good luck to you and keep us informed of your progress.

Blessings............Pastorjim

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

15. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    And a couple hundred miles away from you I can't find a hill with more than a couple hundred foot elevation gain. :) Welcome to NC.

But there are probably other guys that live in areas without real mountains.

So if you're looking to do pack/hike training maybe for a trip out west and lack decent hills/mountains it's time to be creative:

What building or venue has the longest stretch of stairs? HS football stadium? Hotel in town? Office building? If you can get access use it.

You live in a small flat town without the above? Find a treadmill and start cranking up the degree climb setting...

Start without a ruck/pack if you have to...then add a light pack. Push yourself for longer distances and faster paces. Every couple weeks add a few more pounds. If you're planning on an elk hunt, you'll want to set an eventual pretty high weight goal over a pretty good distance to simulate hauling the meat out.

Like pastorjim I lost 50lbs basically using the above and a calorie restrictive diet. Tracking what I ate and consuming about 500-600 calories less than I burned daily (that is a 1lbs weight loss per week pace).

16. charleshibner92

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys love the help.. we workin on the diet, ect jus have to wirk at it.. wish i had a gym close but the closest one it worth anything is 15-20 miles away that y i askd for poor boys ways of work out.. thanks so much! Another thing that makes it had to do this and im not sure if any of yall face this is social eatin at gatherings and get togethers at church, school, friends or anywer ther is always food and it not gross food either the stuff is good really good im pretty sure i coald get a few women close to me that would nock Paula Deen right out of the kitchen with ther cookin. How do yall do in those situations because u cant say your not eatn, you will offend Mama,Auntie,your adopted Mamma and or wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

17. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Social situations always present a challenge but I just told folks that I was trying to cut back and get a little healthier. Most will understand but if they don't that's on them. As far as not having a gym nearby you can always walk outside or do exercises inside if the weather is bad. Don't discount walking, there are a lot of health benefits to it and as you get further into this you will find yourself going farther and farther. Make it your goal to get up to 5 miles a day. And once you do that, add weight while you're walking. I'm telling you, this is easier than you think. I know when you start out it may seem like you have alot to lose but don't look at it that way. Go in 10lbs increments and celebrate the small victories. Before you know it, you will have won the war. Just a hint, it will take about three weeks to get your appetite under control but after that it gets much easier. Half the battle is just beginning. Once you do, and succeed, you won't be sorry.

Blessings..........Pastorjim

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

18. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You don't mention you age bracket or your work or retired. I have been in good shape all of my working life. Job required it. After I retired I would gain 10-15 lbs through the winter and it would come off come spring. Not one for the gym or weight lifting, etc. Steep inclines are hard on me but level going is not a problem in the field. Deer hunting in the fall and turkey this spring. Been shed hunting a few times for an hour or more. This summer will be busy with the garden and around the acreage. It's coming off again and will be good to go come April Turkey season. Like others have said, find something you like to do that fits your time schedule. Walking running biking, what ever. Closer to home the better. Good luck.

19. charleshibner92

Dislikes Received:
    Im 24 years old do lawn maintenance for a job.. shouldn b a big deal to loose wieght right? Bit my side of lawn maintenance is easy work not overly taxing

Always look for a way to inprove

20. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    1;It's mostly in how you eat,a famous fitness guy once said "exercise is only 30% of the battle,eating is the other 70%"

2;Start small with something like simply going for a walk after work,it doesn't even have to be every day but try to do it at least 3 times a week.

3;You can also try meal prepping,If you usually eat fast food for lunch on work days then try packing a healthy lunch in the morning or the evening before.
    "fail to prepare,prepare to fail"

For most people the first 2/3 weeks are the hardest and after that it starts to get easier.Make a commitment to stay consistent for at least 4 weeks and then evaluate at the end of that time.You will find its not as hard as it sounds once eating clean/ exercising becomes a habit (which takes roughly 2 1/2 weeks) and you will enjoy it a lot more.