FWS directive on lead ammunition/tackle

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by wl704, Jan 21, 2017.

1. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Other than a NSSF article I've not seen any discussion on this little gem the FWS director rolled out on the last day of the prior administration's reign.

Intent is to prohibit lead ammo/tackle on public lands by 2022.

Thoughts?

Director's Order 219, Use of Nontoxic Ammunition and Fishing Tackle

2. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I listened to this on Steve Rinella 's podcast a while back. I think the studies they've done don't show conclusive evidence either way, but the argument can be made that advances in non toxic shot/bullets have made them a true viable alternative.

As for fishing tackle, I don't fish with shot much, but do still primarily use lead when adding some to a nymph.

Sent from my Turbo 2.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  3. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Trump put a freeze on all of Obama's last minute nonsense. So, hopefully this will never happen.

I use solid copper bullets for big game and non-toxic coyote bullets. (Having a husband who works for Barnes Bullets is sweet) But I still use lead shot for doves and grouse, lead .22lr ammo for rabbits and squirrels. Lead jig heads.

Stuff like this is yet another reason why rural western folks hate the Feds being in charge of most all the land out here.

4. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe it's just an outsider's ignorance, but I can't understand how anyone would want to lose fed control of public hunting land. That's another topic, though. ;)

Why do you still use lead for your shot? Don't feel there's enough lethality in non toxic shot?

5. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Because it's way cheaper and easier on the gun.
    Higher lethality is a bonus.

6. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a very hard time being told what to use. I have some loads that I have spent hours working up and hate to give them up. From my initial working with some of the "non-toxic" options that are out there currently, it is an entirely new learning curve.

How would we feel if we were told that we all had to use XYZ broadheads or only ABC arrows?