Waterfowl Must Haves...

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by PinkPony, Dec 6, 2016.

1. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know there is a whole topic - but I wanted to seperate it.

Husband is getting very big in waterfowl. He however, doesn't have much. Has the normal chest waders, clothing, some calls, layout blind, and a few goose (shells and 3D) and (floater) mallard decoys. Other than that he uses a friends things.

He, however, wants to get things of his own to go out whenever he would like. So, instead of race car things, I figured I'd get him waterfowl stuff for Christmas. So, my question is - what are the must haves? What are some things you have that you absolutely love when out?

We went to the lake yesterday and started hunting the push that is coming in - and he mentioned wanting a layout boat - but looking at the price, then needing a chaser, etc. I think that's out of the picture. He wants some more decoys - but keeps talking Avian X and I've seen the prices. So what are some other things?

He enjoys all - ducks, Canadian Geese, and Snow Geese.

TIA!

2. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly, one can keep this hobby pretty darn cheap and kill birds. You DO NOT need a $130 call, $150 a dozen floaters or $400 a dozen full bodies.

Some things I would take a look at:

-Tanglefree duck and goose floaters.
    -Final Approach S.U.B. layout blind. Power hunter for little more mobility.
    -Gander Valley Custom Calls - Powerhouse - Mark is a great guy and will help over the phone with calling if wanted.
    -Really just about any duck call will do.
    -I would texas rig (or similar style) the floaters. You can buy the supplies and do your own for cheaper than buying and it's kind of fun to do.
    - Silhouette goose decoys are an option to build a cheaper spread quick and are effective. Check out Divebomb Industries.

I could go on and on!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  3. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Feel free to go on! I did a quick search - he has a blind very similar to the Final Approach one you posted and those are the rigs he uses.

I will definitely look into the call. He has some calls - but not sure which ones and I'm not thinking many are efficient sounding. We went out a couple weeks ago with a friend who had silhouette decoys - and the dang things kept flanking us - but then he (friend) has luck with them. So I'll look into those, too! Thank you so much!

4. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not the biggest fan of silhouettes but they certainly have their benefits. With silos, you usually need to have more or they disappear to the geese which might be your problem. Usually guys use them as fillers between shells and full bodies to help eliminate that problem and add numbers. I run all full bodies (just sold all my shells) but I have the ability to store them and haul them around which not everyone does.

5. dprsdhunter

dprsdhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lab puppy

6. A5BLASTER

A5BLASTER Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My one thing I won't hunt ducks are geese without is my Drakekiller choke for my shotgun, it's not a choke for the novice shotgunner but if you put the time in to learn what shells and size shot it shoots the best and practice with it the results are deadly.

If he likes to hunt geese, get him some full body or shell goose decoys depending on what kind of geese he hunts.
    I only hunt specks and snows so I have two dozon speck shell decoys and 700 sillosock goose decoys.

So many things I could say to give ideas on what to buy, but kind of hard to not knowing what gear he has and how he likes to hunt.

I hunt in louisiana so hunting down here is very different then other places.

7. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    I already have one of those - not ready to get another ;)

I posted all of that in the first post. He hunts all ducks, Canadian and Snow geese. Snows are hard around here because he works out of town so catching the push is hard. But ducks and Canadian's are whenever he can get out. He has some shells (dozen) and Canadian floaters. He also has two dozen mallards (floaters). He really enjoyed a sea-duck hunt he went on - but not much of that around here - besides the occasional ones flying the peninsula.

He currently has the VersaMax - (and hates it) and shoots Black Clouds. But, he wants to buy a Beretta - just haven't made it that far. I'll probably have to hold off on the Choke for now until I know what gun for sure he is getting. But, my husband grew up hunting and is a great shot. He can out skeet shoot anyone around home. So I'm sure it is something that'll be of interest for him.

8. A5BLASTER

A5BLASTER Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry missed it somehow in your first post what gear he had. I personal don't shoot 3 1/2 shells so the only Beretta shotgun I could sujest would be the old 390 or the newer outlander.

I shoot a 390 and it has never jammed or failed to feed in 10 seasons of use and it only gets cleaned before and after the season and is used very hard from doves and squirrel and rabbit, deer, hog, quail, deer and ducks.

I use it for spring snows as well and put God only knows how many shells throw it during that part of season alone.

The Drakekiller choke is a beast in my 390 the guy who makes them builds it for the barrel on the gun and it won't work correctly in any other barrel.

And the quality of calls makes a huge difference in the sound of the call, maybe a CD on calling technique would be a good gift.

9. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Bad Grammer if you get something like this.

10. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Couldn't go wrong with a gift card to Rogers.

11. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Never Heard Of Rogers...is it a local?

Thanks guys so much!

12. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Rogers sporting goods, online.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

13. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Best advise is to tell him to turn and run. Soon enough he'll have a 14,000$ boat. A couple benelli super black eagle 2's a boat full of dakota decoys and full sitka gear lol.

I'm with gwh. Get him a rogers gift card. Can't go wrong with one of those.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

14. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Already discussed depending on how our race season goes this year - might sell out and go all out for his waterfowl. I'm definitely not into it like he is - but have been out on a few hunts this year and enjoyed it.

Is it true, all of you like waterfowl more than deer hunting? My husband told me I wont understand - he enjoys this sport so much more then deer hunting.

15. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yes ma'am. I'd take duck hunting over deer hunting 10 times out of 10. My wife goes with me also. She loves it just as much as I do. We have a blast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

16. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Do it!

17. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:

That's a tough one. I get asked that quite frequently actually and I think if I had to choose one over the other, I would pick waterfowl slightly over bow hunting. All depends on the time of the year for me and waterfowl takes a much bigger time investment.

18. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like them both, differently.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

19. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    I think I'd need some more good sits and become a better shot at moving things to enjoy it like everyone. But, that's great that your wife and you can share the sport! I love the fact that you can actually chat and not have to be silent the whole time!

I really have an attachment to our race car - but I already told him the choice is up to him. Thankfully his brother races, too, so I can still get my addiction filled ;)

I'm sure that's how it is for many. I enjoyed the few trips I went on so far - but I have a connection with nature (that sounds like a sob story, lol) - that I just love early season archery.

20. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I went ahead and order the GV Powerhouse call. With the recommendations here and the reviews I read it sounds like a great investment. I think it'll be great that he can call and get help from Mark. That'll be a bonus.

Also ordered him a new lanyard - because he mentioned the bright yellow he had wasn't good for ducks. So got a Black/Hunter Green one.

Will pick up a few more small(er) items and be done! (Looking at decoy sales now) Thank you everyone!