Had a hole dug today

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Sota, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So it has come to this my daughters prized game horse that kept her safe and helped her win 11 state championships has finally got to the point where the end of days is coming. She has been lame and kept comfortable for 4 years but it simply isn't possible anymore. She had a bout last week that made us decide if the $ to keep her alive vs her comfort hell of a decision to make. We have decided for now to spend the money to keep her alive and comfortable yet we had the hole dug for when it is time. Sucks for sure to see my daughter and wife have to deal with deciding what to do. As much as I love bowhunting the horses mean even more to them.

2. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That sucks, but it sucks worse to have an animal suffer. Tough call

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yes it is trying to explain that used the example of a white german shepard we had years ago, you make the appointment to put it down and then go to the barn and it is a good day. Hard to say today is the day she is an amazing animal so tough she lived thru founder many times and what took her out is a damn tick borne illness. Sucks and scary me the horse and a dog have all been sick because of ticks.

4. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Beats getting hit by a drunk driver, yeah that's how my horse got killed. It got out and was on the edge of the road.

How Old's the horse?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    She is 25 years old.

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    She has won a crap load of titles trophies and buckles she would still run till her hooves fell off if you saddled her up and let her run, unbelievable drive in that horse, she is the Michael Jorden of game horses.

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Will never forget the day when I was told what it would cost to buy her watched my daughter ride her and there was no doubt that they were matched to do great things, one of those once in a lifetime connections.

8. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear this :(

9. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry man. My horse just up and died in May. I think he had a stroke. He started walking in circles and when I went into the field with him, he would circle over to me and try to lean on me. Of course I couldn't hold him up and having an 1100lb horse fall on me would be bad so I would have to move away. And then he'd stumble around to get over to me again. Broke my heart to see him like that. He was frustrated and distressed. One pupil was dilated and non-reactive. After a few hours of this I went to the truck to get my pistol to put him down.. but by time I had walked to the truck he started to have a siezure. I ran back out to him and held him as he took his final breath.
    I was really broke up over it and I only had him 7 months. I can't imagine how tough it would be to lose one after having such a history together. :(

10. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry Sota and Christine. Sometimes the best and right thing is the hardest thing. You'll always remember the good times and laugh.

11. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    sorry to hear..losing an animal no matter what size, is so hard. Having to make the final call for them is nothing short of heartbreaking. I've been there before with a few family dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry man

13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I can not imagine having to shoot your horse that would be hard. I had to shoot a dog once and it was not pleasant.

14. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    sucks, plain and simple.

15. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Dogs and horses......our friends. Tough to deal with and I am sorry for all of this Sota.

My first dog I ever bought died last year. I was upstairs in my bed and heard a loud thud downstairs. I thought someone was breaking into our house. I went downstairs and saw my little buddy just standing there dazed and confused. I picked her up and put her back on the couch to sleep. I was so tired I didnt put two and two together.

Next day she was worse and we took her to the vet. Vet said her lung had collapsed that night....suffered the entire night because I didn't take quick enough action. I felt horrible and still do.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  16. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I feel for ya man. But you have to do what is best for the horse. Might be best to send the wife and daughter away when it is time. My wife is glad she was not there when it was time to put down her horse.

Make sure you send them away for a couple hours. Even though you know its the best/right thing to do, it's hard to pull that trigger...

17. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yes it often the right thing to do, somewhat blessed that it was something that we are prepared for. I helped out a fellow 4-H family once that had a horse die in a stall and it was not possible to get it out. Set up a time on a Sunday and they went out for breakfast after church. Lucky it was winter and the horse was frozen, quartered up the dead horse with a chainsaw and skidded out the quarters to a low spot and had a dump truck put a load of sand on top of the horse.

18. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    sorry.. never easy...

19. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear it Sota, thoughts/prayers are with you and your family. That's some tough junk to go through.
    I'm still broken hearted over my dog from last august, can't imagine 25 year loss.

20. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Very sorry to hear, Sota. A connection between a girl and her horse is incomparable.

Unfortunately, I know where you're coming from. My first horse was a "been there done that" show horse. She took me to the top in 4H, won year end division awards, moved me up to my first loping classes. Then she got heaves (vet compared her to a 2 pack a day smoker). We were able to keep her comfortable with cough supplements and I got another show season, but then it went to getting daily injections that same fall. We had to wet the barn down to keep dust out, she got hay soaked in water so it wouldn't cause a flare up. She eventually had to choose between eating and breathing. So, my parents set up a day to have her euth'd. That's the hardest part. Knowing when it'll happen. I went out and seen her one last time (I didn't stay - my Papa held her for me). She had that glisten in her eye - but I knew she was ready. She kept trying so hard for me. She was my once in a lifetime horse. The one I compare every horse to. It's tough - but the lessons learned, memories made, and friendship earned makes it hurt a little less. Sounds like they had an amazing career together.

Tags: