The CCW & Firearm Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by buckeye, Dec 1, 2016.

1. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Figured we could use a place to talk shop.

Anyhow, has anyone used a Techna Clip (or similar) for their ccw?

I can't find a holster for my Shield that is comfortable that doesnt print badly on me. After looking at it for a while I just ordered the Techna Clip. I like how low the pistol looks to ride on the waist band with it. It also adds no extra bulk or weight.

2. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Does that Techna Clip leave the trigger fully exposed?

I'm using all Crossbreeds right now, sold everything else. I use the MiniTuck for my 43 which is probably closest in size to your shield. It's super comfortable for me and doesn't print any more than any other holster I've ever used.

3. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

4. Rich71

Rich71 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The exposed trigger was a turn off for me. I use a DeSantis Invader for my Shield. It isn't the most comfortable and I would love to get something more comfortable but don't think that would be the answer for my comfort.

5. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't mind the exposed trigger. I have no issues carrying empty chamber and racking getting into the low or high ready.

I plan to use this when it warms up. I dont worry about printing this time of year. Being 6' 160 pounds printing is an issue in warm weather.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

6. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use the comp tac infidel holster for my shield. It's pretty comfortable and doesn't print bad on me during the summer. But I got about 50 or 60 pounds on you so idk how it'd work for you.

Infidel Max Holster | Comp-Tac Victory Gear

Mines not the "max" holster so idk what the difference is. Looks like only difference is you can adjust the cant of the holster.

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

7. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like the concept of the clip, but hate the thought of cold, uninsulated steel near my skin. I won an Alien Gear IWB for my G19 a couple years ago. I was really surprised at the quality and comfort, for a price of less than $40. Doesn't print a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Longdraw

Longdraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The clip is ok for a folding knife but not for a pistol (unless the chamber is empty of course ). Crossbread IWB are great. I have to keep the weapon away from my skin. My LC9 rusts quickly even after Ruger replaced the 1st slide.

9. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    JRK, that Infendel has a nice thin profile that I like, but to much of the pistol rides above the waistband for me. I would look into something like that if it seated deeper.

Josh, I am with you on the steel to skin thought in cold weather. This Techna sits so low on the waistband that only a bit of the Poly on the grip will contact bare skin. Heck, you saw what I am using now. I just don't like the big leather backed IWB holsters.

Anyone have any experience with Blade-Tech holsters?

I also ordered the Blade-Tech Revolution combo with the dual mag holster for a 5" barreled M&P Pro for range time or while scouting / shed hunting where I don't mind open carry.

10. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just to through a different idea out there;

I have the Ruger LC9 which appears to be similar size to yours, and I generally carry in my front pocket with a sticky holster. I like it a lot and carry all the time around people that know I have a permit and a firearm and they have no idea.

Food for thought...

11. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a blade tech for my bersa cc, kimber and my s&w and won't own anything else for cc. the Ibw were just too bulky for me and I tried he clip but didn't like he cold Steel against my body when it gets cold. Like Moose, I also have the lc9(the Lil ladies actually) but I just stick it straight in my pocket if imy carrying it and usually forget I have it on me.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  12. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I pocket carry my little .380 daily...but when carrying the Bersa BP9cc IWB it is an alien gear if OWB custom kydex holster.

My Glock19 rarely rides it's leather IWB as it is typically relegated to just nightstand sitting or if out and about it rides in another custom kydex OWB holster.

I am a firm believer of always one in the chamber and if I got the clip style (which I want to experiment with) I'd also get one of those "snatch" holsters that just covers trigger (kydex) and a string attaches to it which you just loop through a belt loop. If I drew it would pull the trigger guard off instantly.

13. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I know alot of people don't like the belt clip but think they have like 3 options for how it attaches. But I've never had this style even come close to falling off. It actually goes around the belt and you can't remove it by just pulling up, you haveta pull the clip apart to slide off belt.

And as far as cold steel against your skin it's actually covered up against your body.

[​IMG]

But like everything it's definitely personal choice and no one size fits all.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

14. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Blade tech makes a decent rig.
    But you'd be surprised what you can conceal with a good holster and belt.
    Raven Concealment and Phlster make awesome rigs.
    I'm about your size and carry a M&P 9c daily, have carried a glock 19 and a full-size M&P.
    Hell just to see if anyone would notice I put a full-size M&P appendix,a XD compact at 4 O'clock, 2 9c's in a double shoulder 5.11 shirt and a shield in a ankle rig.
    Nobody but you will notice.
    Get a quality holster that covers the trigger and keep one in the chamber or spend the rest of your life racking the slide.

15. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In for info.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

16. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The print issue is with my wife, not with me. I understand the only people who would notice a print are others who also carry. Like I mentioned cold weather carry is no issue with printing. It is when it gets warm out. If I like this clip I may get a kydex trigger holster to go along with it. But I really do not have a issue with having to rack enroute to the ready position. The weak hand is already there clearing the shirt anyhow and it is easy to practice with out live fire.

17. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    After painlessly loading 4 magazines in what seemed less than a minute it prompted me to mention... If you do not own an uplula speed loader you owe it to yourself to get one.

18. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    And if you don't own one for your AR and have 30 mag clips you are missing out also.

19. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The problem with that line of thinking is that you cannot always count on having the use of both hands, after all we do not get to choose the time or place otherwise the sensible amongst us would simply not go.
    Just a few examples of when you may not have the use of both hand could be fending off an attacker, shielding or moving a child or loved one out of the way, previous injury I.e. cut hand at work.
    We don't train for our best day, we train to be our best on the worst day.
    My wife carries a shield 9mm without printing issues and she's 5' and maybe 100lbs, she doesn't use one but I know people who use and like a product call a belly band.
    It does slow down the presentation a little but offers deeper concealability.

20. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Those are some great points and has brought my line of thinking around. If I do like the Techna clip holster I will for sure pick up a kydex trigger guard / holster to use with it.

As I mentioned it isn't me with a little print issue, its my wife. It makes her nervous and she thinks everyone is going to see it and that it will somehow cause us trouble. If I can have zero print, it will alleviate that issue between us.