Cubs World Series Champions!

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by peakrut, Nov 3, 2016.

1. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    After all these years I thought I would never get to say World Series Champions. 1984, 89, and 2003 were such heart breakers.
    Now I can bury that along with the lovable losers nickname. Great series and one stressful game 7 but one of the best in the history of the World series in my lifetime.

Go Cubs Go

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It takes 108 outs to win the NLCS and 108 outs to win the World Series (27 outs per game x 4 games won = 108 outs).

— AG Spalding, the Chicago Cubs’ first manager and owner of the Spalding sporting goods, wrote a rule into the National League’s first set of rules requiring teams to only use Spalding baseballs. His baseballs have 108 stitches. His office was at 108 W. Madison.

— The distance from both the left field and right field foul poles to home plate at Wrigley Field is 108 meters.

— The City of Chicago’s zoning records show that Planned Development #108 belongs to Wrigley Field. There are 1,336 planned developments in Chicago.

— The Ricketts family, who own the Cubs, made their fortune with Omaha-based TD Ameritrade. Its corporate headquarters are located on 108th Avenue.

— The movies Taking Care of Businessand Back to the Future Part II both feature the Cubs winning the World Series. Both movies are 108 minutes long.

— The Cubs’ lawsuit against the State of Illinois to have games at night at Wrigley Field was recorded in Volume 108 of the Illinois Supreme Court Reports.

— The World Series trophy is made of silver, which carries the atomic weight of 108.

— 108 is a sacred number in Yoga. Jake Arrieta does yoga six days a week.

— Cubs star pitcher Jon Lester was born in the 108th largest city in the US, Tacoma Washington (according to the 2010 National Census).

— NLCS Game 2 and Game 6 starting pitcher was Kyle Hendricks. Hendricks was born on 12/7/89. 12+7+89=108.

— The Cubs honor the military every game. The “Chicago Brigade” of the US Army National Guard is the 108th.

— Frank Nitti, treasurer of Al Capone’s organization and leader of the Untouchables, used to own Harry Caray’s Restaurant’s building. Capone’s organization made $108 million per year.

— The Billy Goat Curse is a Greek curse. In the Greek translation of the Bible, the worst curses are all found in Psalm 108.

— The Cubs won their 108th game by scoring 10 runs, winning by 8 (Game 4 2016 NLCS) (

— Jon Lester won Game 5 of this year's NLCS by throwing exactly 108 pitches.

3. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Can Bartman go outside again? Or is his life still ruined?

4. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ……….

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  5. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    prove it. :)

6. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nah...just saw it, not claiming it all as Gospel. It was written a while ago too...hence why it actually took more than 108 outs for this world series (extra inning :D )

7. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I know it wasnt you.. but someone must have been bored to write all of that out, true or not. lol

8. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm glad they won and am happy for the Cubs fans. I knew the feeling all too well until the Red Sox fortunes changed. I am a die hard Red Sox fan from Massachusetts, however, we used to have a AA Pittsfield Cubs minor league team in our town when I was a kid. It was the best. I remember watching Jamie Moyer, Greg Maddux, Raphael Palmiero, Joe Girardi, and Mark Grace growing up, along with many others. I have all of their autographs on a youth glove I had!

9. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    LOL. Not sure...but did you see the parabolic mike guy ALMOST do the same thing?