Who has quit chewing?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Wiscohunter, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've slowly been quitting over the summer and now am almost 100% done with it. But man do I crave it like no other when I'm in the stand. I chew gum like a mad man and it helps now when I hunt.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck stick with it.

3. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Get yourself some Bac-off. It's non tobacco chew. It helps with that nagging empty feeling in your lip.

Myself, I quit cold turkey. I carried around my chew just like normal but every time I felt the urge for a dip I would tell myself "It's in my pocket if I need it, I just don't need it right now."

At first I was saying it all the time. After a while the can got moved to a coat pocket then the vehicle and now it's been in a cupboard in the house for several years.

Still there if I need it. Just not right now.

4. Bigtine

Bigtine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with having some non tobacco chew. You'll only need it for awhile while to get past the oral fixation.

I was chewing a tin of cope long cut a day and now years later I almost get sick just smelling it. Go figure.

5. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I quit cold turkey on Jan 1 of this year so it's been 10 months. Use alternatives like Smokey Mountain and Teaza when you get the urges. I don't even need them anymore. The cravings get fewer and further apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've tried Smokey mountain. Got all over the place. Was like taking a dip of dirt, except dirt probably tastes better.

7. tkaldahl2000

tkaldahl2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats to you guys who are quitting. I tell my students that if they have to choose between chewing or smoking to take up smoking cuz it is easier to live with half your lungs than half of your face.

8. bigfootcali

bigfootcali Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I quit recently and let me tell you it wasn't easy especially in a job were all everybody dose is chew or smoke. I used smiley mountain to help with the cravings then eventually o didn't need it no more. I know for some people it's a hard thing to do but well worth it in the end, and I can't stand the smell of cope no more.

9. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  10. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't chew but I've used these just for the caffeine. Can't always get a energy drink while working and this is easy to keep in a pocket.

11. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I quit dipping cold turkey on April 1st, The day I had my stroke. At the time I was alternating back-and-forth between dip and cigarettes. I have had a few weak moments since, I'm not gonna lie. Where I bought a can, took a small pinch, and practically threw up. Same thing with cigarettes. I still miss it and I have dreams that I'm smoking, or dipping.

12. Skylar oren

Skylar oren Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Its been so hard for me to quit.. Everyone at work throws it in my face when they know im trying to stop. The urge gets so bad after about a day or so and i give in. I have heard really good things about the Bac-off where can i find some?

13. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Amazon has it. My buddy ordered some and says it has been working well for him.

14. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just takes will power. If you decide you don't want to do it anymore, you won't.

Those grind pouches look good. Would come in handy for the all night sits in the bear stand.

15. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sunflower seeds worked for me. I started when I was 16 because that's what baseball players did we thought. At 25 I put it down.

I won't lie, I still cave once in awhile on fishing trips or long drives, but it's never gotten it's teeth sunk back into me. Those grind pouches are good too, even if you aren't a normal dipper.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

16. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I dipped from 16 until I was 30, a lot. Went cold turkey. I had nightmares that I was dipping for a couple of years. Just fought thru it. Good luck.

17. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had to have a graft on my lower gums because chew deteriorated my gums. Like an idiot as soon as it healed I was back to a tin of Kodiak every day until I got the news a few years later that I might need to have it done again. I know people that have chewed for decades but for some reason a single decade left my gums thrashed.

I was having a hard time quitting so a co-worker shared his method. I grabbed an entire new tin of Kodiak and swallowed it all down with a couple of Miller Lite's. To this day I struggle to even chew Wintergreen gum, let alone chew.

18. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    i started chewing as a teen. i was at a party drinking keg beer and chugged a cup full of beer. needless to say my chew went with the beer. i actually turned green like in the cartoons. i was so sick. every time i tried to chew after that happened i vomited. not a bad thing
    ^^^^^ this was a reply to racewayking. dont know wth happened

19. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    For 22 years was a combination of chew and smoking. Had tried many times to quit unsuccessfully. I had quit feeling the buzz years prior and it always felt like it was the physical habit that was stopping me not realizing how strong the chemical addiction was. Once I broke the nicotine hold with Chantix the physical habits were I nothing.

20. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Going on 5 years cold turkey. Sunflower seeds and hard candy helped with cravings.