How do we fight radical Islam?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Hooker, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Both sides are using yesterday's tragedy to push whatever agenda they want, but how do we fight against self actualized lone terrorists?

Both sides are promising their plan will help stop this from happening, but banning guns or more gun control isn't going to help, nor is whatever Trump plans on doing.

You cannot legislate ideology.

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly, until the Muslim communities join in the fight....it is nearly an impossible battle.

3. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Once a lone terrorist makes up his mind to be a martyr --- at best armed citizens or police can only reduce the number he kills by taking his life.

Not sure there is an answer ---

4. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think the first problem is separating Islam and "radical Islam". They both follow the same book of "commandments".

5. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Kinda like all Christians agree 100% on the meaning and words of the Bible?

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think we all have to realize that things like mass shootings are more and more common and it does not seem to matter the faith.

7. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Of course they don't all agree but nowhere in the Bible does it command the things that the Koran and Hadith command.

8. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I really don't think it is Radical Islam that is the problem. These people are just searching for an excuse and currently radial islam is just what they are latching onto as that excuse.

I don't have the answer, all I can do is make sure I raise my kids to value life, and teach them how to protect themselves.

9. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Why are mass shootings so more important than the other gun violence occurring every day in America? People freak out about mass shootings when way more people are killed every day by regular gun violence. Is it because it happens in the same place? So what?

10. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Right.

But for the sake of the thread, let's acknowledge that there are such things as moderate muslims that do not condone terrorist attacks.

Now if you want to talk about why they do not organize and fight the radicals, either literally or politically, that is certainly a relevant topic.

11. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes...?

Same way where we might have 1,000 individual care deaths a day but if there is some massive car accident that kills 100 people it will make news.

12. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

I know its a hijack by me sorry. I'm just saying why are we so worried about Islam killing us when we can't stop killing ourselves at much higher rates and regularity. Not saying it isn't horrible and some answers would be great but I find it fascinating the things we tolerate and then at the same time freak out about.

Carry on.

13. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oh I completely agree with you

I just thought, with all the pandering going on with the political candidates, it would be interesting to see some views on how this board would handle it.

14. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

I got nothing other than more resources put into the FBI to try and catch and/or monitor and prevent as many of these guys as possible which would probably have to change some laws in terms of the rights of the persons in question.

Do I trust a DOJ headed up by someone like Obama appointing the attorney general? Nope. Would that increased power for surveillance be used inappropriately? Yup.

So I got nothing.

15. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    But that's exactly my point, Christians do not stand with other self-proclaimed "Christians" who do crazy stuff like commit mass murder, bomb an abortion clinic or protest fallen soldiers at their funeral (Westboro "Baptist" church and the like comes to mind here). I've said all along that there are Muslims who enact Jihad and there are others waiting for it to engulf their community before embracing it, but their ideology is one in the same. If they claim to be Muslim but reject these acts, then how can they be Muslim if they follow the same text that commands them to do it? I don't think there ever will be an answer as to how to stop these things from happening. Crime is crime no matter what we call it or who commits it. I got nothing.

16. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    But because a book published 1500 or so years ago contains those things and they follow/read it means they are all radicals and want to kill. Right.

I don't think there is a way to fight it... We will always have people who are not right in their head and will commit these crimes. No matter the religious beliefs or nationality, we will always have these type of people.

17. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Stop the shooting and murders in Chicago first, then move onto another city. Put our resources into helping ourselves.

And as Ty said, we have to enlist the help of the peaceful Muslims (which constitute the vast majority).

18. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How can you say that if the founding text of their ideology teaches it but only some follow it, that means there are radicals and non-radicals? You either believe it all or you believe none of it. Same goes for Christianity and any other "religion". You are either all in or you aren't what you claim to be. The second part of your post I agree with.

19. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I believe the Peaceful Muslims are standing with the rest of us. I don't believe them doing so is getting the amount of press it deserves. As you get overseas into the Muslim countries it becomes "harder" for them because where radicals have a strong foothold, standing up is a good way to get killed.

20. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Then they aren't really Muslim. The founding text says what it says. If they don't follow it all, then how can they claim that "religion"?