No Right to Concealed Carry

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by remmett70, Jun 10, 2016.

1. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    9th Circuit Court of Appeals Says No Right to Concealed Gun Carry - NBC News

Don't let the fact that most people who use a gun to protect themselves are doing so against an unknown threat meaning for most people by the time they know of the good reason it is already to late.

The only good reason I need is wanting to. Some people like to say the 2nd amendment gives me the right, and that is not correct, it doesn't GIVE the right it PROTECTS the right we already had.

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We are in serious trouble boys and girls.

3. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The second amendment gives right for ownership and not concealed carry. They are indeed two different things.

4. remmett70

Dislikes Received:
    Keep and Bear

5. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What's the policy on open carry? I know before the CC in Wisconsin we had the right to open carry but most people didn't know that.

6. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Perhaps though the counter argument is "shall not be infringed" is interpreted by some as the justification against concealed rules/laws.

Further, other articles mentioned the 9th went on to say in their eyes effectively no individual should have a gun...

7. copperhead

Dislikes Received:
    I see you point and fully respect it. But why do you think everyone should have the right to concealed carry versus just having open carry?

8. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If Trump loses we are royally ****ed.

9. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    And if Trump wins we are royally ****ed.

So....we are ****ed.

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Government's do not "GIVE" us rights. They make laws that limit our rights. That's why it is so important for everyone to take a stand when the government is making laws to limit rights that you feel you should have without interference. People who legally CC are not the people that we need to be worried about. Criminals don't care about laws and will continue to do whatever the want. Citizens being allows to carry concealed is a wonderful way to make the criminals think twice about what they are doing. If they know people are unarmed, they are no threat to the criminal.

11. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Why do you say that?

I believe he has a carry permit and I believe his son is am outdoorsman.

12. remmett70

Dislikes Received:
    Well I believe we all have the right to carry to protect ourselves if we choose. Either open or concealed. As was mentioned in another post. Here in WI, I can strap my pistol to my thigh and open carry, but need a permit to conceal that same pistol under my shirt. That is foolish IMO. What is going to make people around me more nervous seeing me walking around with a weapon, or having no idea that I have one?

Now I am not a person who walks around everyday carrying. Only reason I will have a permit is because by law I need it to carry a sidearm while hunting. I don't feel there is the risk to me to justify carrying all the time currently. but if I ever do, I will not hesitate to do so. and if that happens I would rather the bad guys NOT know I have a gun. If I was a criminal, the first people I would take out are those I knew were armed.

13. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think we can handle 4 years of Trump, but we cannot handle 40 years of Hillary's SCOTUS pick(s).

Truthfully I think Trump will calm way down if elected. Elections are all about attacking the other candidate and digging up dirt regardless of how old it may be, by the media and people with nothing more than ill intentions.

I truly believe he wants for the country what he says, and I think his ego is too big to go down as a failing POTUS. I think his comparisons to himself as a Reagan like thinker are a bit premature, but I can see him following a similar course. He doesn't know how to be a politician, he'll get that with his VP pick.

This country needs a backbone, we are becoming so wussified at every level it is embarassing.

We have to nurture and coddle every sensitive person who feels violated because their feelings got hurt.

I am frightened to see what the scope of the 2032 elections will look like.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  14. remmett70

Dislikes Received:
    This is what I believe about Trump also. I don't believe he is the same behind closed doors that he is in public. And I don't believe everything he says is just off the cuff statements. Trump is a smart man, he figures out what he wants to say about each subject, what he doesn't do is script how he presents it so it all appears like he just thought it up on the spot.

Also he didn't get to where he is without knowing how to put good smart people around him and letting them do what they do best.

15. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The 9th circus ...the most over tuned federal court of Appeals in the country.
    Why is anyone surprised? Not even sure why this is news.

16. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Many are concerned this will go to SCOTUS eventually. One liberal justice away from a majority confirmation

17. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    You can be concerned all you want however once the 9th took this case the ruling was already penned. Lamenting over the ruling is pointless.

18. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with you all the way. It's like hoping Obama says that guns are great. Never going to happen.

I think it would wait until after the elections to ask the SCOTUS to consider it, but you can't get it over turned without taking it there.

19. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    That's assuming they agree to even hear the case, they most likely will just let the ruling stand. Like it or not regulated concealed carry is the rule not the exception on the state level. It's a an of worms they won't want to open unless there is a reason to.

20. copperhead

Dislikes Received:
    Completely agree with your point here. I have my concealed carry and truly believe that its a good thing. But on the other hand I don't think its a good idea to openly allow concealed carry to anyone. In most cases the process to apply and receive a concealed carry requires some sort of gun safety class and minimal proficiency test.

For instance I have been on a firing line where the user had no experience with a handgun at all. This person was completely afraid of the weapon and had no idea how to effetely use it. Said person fired the handgun and immediately threw it into the air. When it struck the ground a round was also fired in a random direction. No one was hurt but proof positive that not every one should carry with out some familiarization and training.

On another situation the user carried a handgun around in his pocket. Everyone knew he carried because it would fall out of his pocket when he was digging for change or getting his keys. This happened on multiple occasions and often. One day of course this happens and it goes off and hits the person in line behind the user in the ankle. Only a 22 mag but still resulted in months of rehabilitation.

I am with you guys that we need to FULLY protect the rights we have but there does need to be some checks and balances to protect us from the random idiots. yes I could also be considered on of the idiots but thats ok. :evilgrin: