Need advice on new boat !!!

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Shocker99, May 25, 2016.

1. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So my next toy is going to be a boat. I'm looking at options and keep second guessing myself. I want a multi purpose boat for two main uses, deer hunting the islands of the Mississippi and kaskaskia river, and duck hunting Shallow waters and flooded fields of Carlyle lake, kaskaskia river and , mississipi. First option is a Sea Ark MVT at least 1872 or 2072 preferably with an Evinrude 90 H.O. The MVT is a "prop tunnel". Kinda like a jet tunnel boat but designed for a prop motor with higher transom. Second option would be a 18 ft by 60 mud boat, probably a custom with a mud buddy black death or something similar. Does anyone have experience with either? Or have any input? I heard the prop tunnels really have to be set up right and can be finicky with cavitation.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have a prop tunnel on a 1448 jon boat I run on the mississippi and yes it does take some messing around to get right and when you finally get it set right you don't want to change the setting. I can run thru about 12" of water with my tunnel hull.

3. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    I wish I could get by with a boat that size on the mississipi down here. So much barge traffic and Chain of Rocks canal make the water pretty rough. Plus 2-3 guys with gear and if we each kill a deer will be pretty loaded. I'm still leaning toward the tunnel hull but just worried it may turn into a pain in the rear. With the surface drive mud set up I just don't think you can hurt em, but I'm concerned with side height and capacity. Guess I'll just have to flip a coin

4. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    22' Triton with a 250 mercury. The only way to go. :)

5. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Haha! Will it run in under a foot of water? And how does the hull handle cypress stumps and log jams? :)

6. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    At 80 mph it sure will. :)