A stroke at 39.....

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Swamp Stalker, May 4, 2016.

1. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hey everybody! It's been a while since I've been on here. figured I'd drop in and tell my bow hunting family where I've been!
    In the past year life has thrown so many curveballs at me and my family....
    It started with my wife getting A layoff from her job that she's been at for almost 20 years, she was the breadwinner to say the least.. I drive a tractor-trailer locally, so I figured we would still be OK. Long story short it's been a slow agonizing battle to save our dream house and 40 acres of land. Our marriage suffered the brunt of all the stress, and in September it was pushed to the breaking point. But with God's love we decided to give it another try and rebuild from the ground up. Unfortunately for our financial situation the damage was already done and we are losing our house and property. I've sold everything I own, all my hunting stuff, my Lonewolf tree stands, my Bow too, trying to make money to save our house.

We finally realized that it was over when we got the foreclosure notice on April 1. My wife and I were sitting there talking coming to The reality of it when I started feeling sick to my stomach like I was going to throw up or destroy the toilet, I went to the bathroom set down on the throne, felt a weird lightheaded feeling in the back of my head, next thing I know I'm being woken up by my wife, I was laying on the bathroom floor in a puddle of my own blood ( hit my head on the bathtub) coming out of a seizure. She immediately called rescue, and I tried to get up but couldn't. I had no energy and my head was spinning like I had vertigo, or the head spin you get when you're drunk. When I finally got to the ER I ended up vomiting several times, and of course lost all control of bowel movements, and had two more seizures in the ER. I was in the hospital for five days. They had no idea what was wrong. Just that I had had three seizures. They ran several tests from echocardiograms, CT scan, and finally an MRI of my brain on the third day. Neurologist came in and told me the results of the MRI had shown that I had suffered a cerebellar stroke. He then showed me the picture of the MRI that my entire left cerebellum had been affected. To say I was dumbfounded would be an understatement I am 39 years old. I was on two high blood pressure medicines for the past five years. My blood pressure was still usually 160/100 at best. Strokes run in my family, but I never gave it a second thought it never occurred to me that it could happen to me, my grandmother died at the age of 36 from a stroke, it just never occurred to me.
    And somehow by the love of God miraculously I don't have any major residual effects..... The only side effects I still have is being lightheaded a lot, and being dizzy a lot from where the stroke was in my brain. I have a physical therapist who comes to the house three times a week to try to help me regain my balance, and it's just not happening yet. I just had my one-month follow-up MRI yesterday, still waiting to hear about The results for that, I'm hoping no news is good news.
    I'll never be able to drive a tractor-trailer again, or hunt out of a tree again and I'm out of work for a least a few more months. And of course I do not have short-term disability through work and I am unable to collect Social Security disability or unemployment... So I have zero money coming in from me. So of course since it happened I have been 100% tobacco free, caffeine free, and sodium free..... Yeah I've been a miserable pain in the butt for my wife for the past month.
    So I guess losing our house and property is the least of our concerns LOL! Fortunately everything just started with the foreclosure so we have plenty of time to figure things out.
    It has been a rough month, but I am so thankful, because I know it could be so much worse. So if you could send a prayer of thanks for me and my family tonight, because we are so thankful and grateful that I am still here for my family.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. NCcrittergitter

NCcrittergitter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Prayers sent brother. I'm amazed at the positive attitude you have been able to keep, that's the stuff heroes are made of.

3. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Dang Joe! So sorry to hear all this. I hope things turn around for you and your family soon. Prayers sent buddy.

4. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My prayer and best wishes to you and your family. Hang in there.

5. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    heartbreaking and heartwarming all in one.
    great attitude, good luck

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What a series of rough luck, hopes and wishes for things to look up.

7. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

8. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My God, Joe. I had no idea. My thoughts and prayers with you brother. I've been wondering where you've been...

9. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hang in there Joe! Stay strong

10. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It can happen to anyone at anytime. You're a good man and good things will happen.

11. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, curveballs is putting it lightly. Sorry for your hard times man, glad you pulled through the stroke and hang in there!

12. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Holy crap man, sorry to hear all that is happening. Wishing the best and hope it turns around for you and your family.

13. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Whoa. I really don't know what to say other than I'll keep y'all in my prayers...

14. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Duuuuude.....
    Sorry to hear it, that sucks but at least you and the family are still together. Get well soon and hopefully things will all work out. I wish I was filthy rich...I'd buy your house and give it to you and tell the bank to eff off. Then I'd buy the bank and tell the banker to eff off.:hater:

15. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear man. You are a good guy and deserve a break.

16. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    God will never give you more than you can handle. I'm Praying for you and the family. God and family are all you need. The rest will follow. Stay strong.

17. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear that Joe. Hang in there bud.

18. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks everyone!!

19. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Dang Joe, words can't express the sorrow I feel for you brother. Prayers for you and your family.

20. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Really sorry to hear. I can't even imagine, but you are so positive. You will bounce back from it, I'm sure.