Anyone have Amazon Fire Stick?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by sheddinva, Apr 7, 2016.

1. sheddinva

sheddinva Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I recently purchased an Amazon Fire Stick that is jailbroken with KODI on it for $70. Curious if anyone else has a similar set up that they now use in place of cable or satellite? We haven't canceled Dish yet but that is the plan eventually. We have to get better internet because the live shows don't work too well but other than that it seems to be awesome. Any thoughts or tips welcome.

2. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I use the Nvidia Shield with Kodi, I was going to cancel Directv but don't think I will be for awhile.

I've never used the firestick, but it should be the same thing I'd imagine. I'm not real helpful as I don't use it regularly, use it more like Netflix than anything, but have the options of watching movies still in theatres and PPV's etc.

Can you change builds? Does it have ares wizard installed?

I've never messed with the hacked sticks, I know auto update has to be disabled and stuff as Amazon will brick them if hacked.

3. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Amazon Fire TV....but never hacked or done anything like that.

4. sheddinva

Dislikes Received:
    I know Ares is on there but not sure about the wizard. Ares had some pretty good live tv options if I remember correctly. This one also does update the apps every now and then. Seems to be really great for the tv series and new movies which is nice, just not sure about replacing satellite and having to rely solely on this. My wife loves her silly shows like the bachelor and survivor and stuff.

5. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I tried watching live shows, Discovery and AMC the main two I wanted to try. Found the strwams to be a bit unreliable and not aure I can give up HD quality. I paid about 3k for my TV and hated the compressed look.

I also have amazon prime, so series like The Walking Dead I could buy ay $2 an episode and get a whole season for less than a months TV service bill. Still have the picture quality and only have to wait 4 to 12 hours to watch it after airing. Figured I could do a lot of shows like that.

When I was trying it out, the build I was using wasn't updated regularly so it had a lot of broken links. Then hackers started screwing up a lot of add-ons and I lost interest in using it as the only source.

Since then I found a build that is constanly being updated and maintained regularly. If I wasn't under 2 year contract again I would probably try it for a month or two. Could actually suspend my directv account a month or two and try it. Especially now that not much is on.

6. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You do realize most of, if not all of, the popular TV shows are pirated and available free online about like...everywhere. Some are available almost immediately after airing and others may take a few hours. Heck, a lot of the networks post the episodes free on their websites within a few hours of airing.

7. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't tried it lately, but last time I tried to watch an episode online with the network that airs it I had to sign into my TV provider account in order to watch it.

You can find the pirated streams for sure, this platform just makes it a lot easier to do so. Don't have to worry about malware, spyware, viruses and such.

The build I have on the Shield I can watch dang near anything out there. It's extremely easy to navigate to find what I'm looking for. Whatever it is I am about to watch isually has about 3-50 different server links to try.

I'm still relatively new to it all, so haven't went online with the computer to see how it compares doing it thw old fashioned way. PPV's are about all I ever did online, maybe a football game here and there when out of market.

8. sheddinva

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I found all the new shows and stuff on multiple apps so it wouldn't be a problem to watch the walking dead, blindspot, and all that. Also has the Pursuit channel and a few other outdoor channels plus movies that are still in theaters is a huge plus.

9. smellbuds

smellbuds Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have several fire sticks that I have jail broken and put kodi on and I still wouldn't get rid of regular TV. Reason being as soon as you get rid of tv the apps will stop working and you will be without. The only thing I use the fire sticks for is movies and the occasional live TV event that I want to see. I don't have cable at all but I do have Netflix and Hulu so I am up to dat on my shows lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. kenny10177

kenny10177 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Does anyone know the links to any hunting or outdoor shows on kodi?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

11. sheddinva

Dislikes Received:
    I started a list at home so I will try to pull it tonight and let you know the app that had some hunting stuff on it.

12. kenny10177

kenny10177 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. I appreciate it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

13. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    bump! Looking for some hunting shows before I download the myoutdoortv app...

14. sheddinva

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot I'm sorry, I haven't gotten to fool with it very much I will take a look at my list soon I promise lol

15. sheddinva

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry it took so long but I finally found my list I had made. On mine, the main hunting one I found is FilmOn.tv. It has a lot of categories and you can find a couple hunting channels (maybe Pursuit?) on there. I thought there was another but I don't see it on my list anywhere.

16. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    M8S Android Box is the way to go if you like tinkering with computers and programming, always will be able to update programs and software.

Only problem is streaming wirelessly is a pain in the Butt!

17. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I Just order a fire stick from Amazon and loaded Kodi myself. I've installed a coupe of good apps and have been able to stream any movie I could think of.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

18. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just got one myself. It was a package deal 32" TV and firestick for 120$. TV might be a piece but it's for my bedroom. Going to load kodi soon. Was it fairly easy?

19. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Very easy. There's a you tube video showing how. I loaded right to the stick using ES FILE EXPLORER. Just follow along with the video. Takes 10 minutes or so. Once kodi is installed, then use it to load exodus. Just Google how to install exodus on kodi and you will find good instructions for that. There are tons of other apps out there, you just want to do some research to make sure they are safe and legit.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

20. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Only thing I dislike about the firestick is the inability to get the Outdoor Channel/Sportsman channel.

Fix likes this.