Need opinions: 5.0 or 3.5 ecoboost

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by CoveyMaster, Mar 26, 2016.

?

Ford F150 5.0 or 3.5 Ecoboost

Poll closed Mar 27, 2016.
  1. 5.0 engine

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. 3.5 Ecoboost engine

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looking at new and used Ford trucks. My old 2008 F250 w/5.4l is encouraging me to trade. I'm undecided if I'm going used or new and 5.0 or 3.5 ecoboost. I have some really good options as far as new or used, local dealer has a couple of 2013 F150's, one each with the 5.0 or 3.5 both with low mileage. Two local dealers have several really nicely equipped 2016 FX4 sport package XLT's with both engine options. By the time I add in extended bumper to bumper warranty coverage on the 2013's, a new 2016 is within about $4-7K. The new XLT's aren't quite as nicely equipped but really close, just heated cloth rather than heated and cooled leather and some other minor things for a farm truck. Trading mine in and financing the balance.

What's everyone's thoughts? Please don't make this a Ford vs ----- thread either, I'm a Ford guy so going to another brand isn't an option for me, (thanks).

2. TrackSoup

TrackSoup Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  3. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just for the warranty, go with the 2016.

As to which engine, since it's a 150 "grocery getter," it really depends on which color you like best in my book.

4. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    If I were to buy one of the 2013 Lariats, I'd purchase an extended warranty that gives me bumper to bumper for 5 years/100,000 which is an additional 70,000 miles remaining on the 30,000 mile truck. The extended warranty is actually better than the factory one. Without the extended warranty the 2013 Lariat is about 9K cheaper and still has 2 years of drive train warranty.

The newer F150's actually spec out better than my 08 F-250 as far as HP and torque and it's basically empty 95% of the time, I figured I might as well have 15-20mpg as opposed to 11 with my F250 5.4.

5. elkguide

Dislikes Received:
    Everyone always talks about torque and towing capabilities but they leave out the most important factor......... there is NO way you're going to stop a trailer towing 150 with the brakes that come on them.

I'm of the GMC persuasion and I don't tow that much anymore but a few years back I went for the 18 - 20 MPG 1500 over the 12 MPG 2500 and got myself all tangled up when I tried to come down a pretty big winding hill with a tractor on my trailer. I'll never be without a 3/4 ton truck again if I'm going to tow something.

6. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I'd probably go with another 3/4 or a full ton if I were hauling tractors with a truck. Problem is I have a semi for that, the biggest thing I ever pull with my pickup is fertilizer carts and they're generally empty as my fertilizer dealer runs tenders to keep me going. I don't really think I'm concerned with towing or hauling capacity, 95% of the time I just haul fuel and some tools and I think the modern f150's can handle that fine. Besides a newer F250, unless it's grossly plain jane is going to be out of my price range.

7. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've owned F-150's with both motors. I had an 11' with the 5.0, and now have a 15' with the EcoBoost. Both are great and will do what you need. Gas mileage is almost identical, but my current 3.5 definitely has more torque and it's noticeable.

With that said, both towed my boat just fine and stopped it just fine as well. My boat is about 5k lbs loaded.

8. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    I drove a new FX4 XLT yesterday with the 5.0 (2016) and then today I drove both the 2013 Lariats, one with the 5.0 and one with the 3.5EB. I could definitely tell a noticeable difference in the two the instant I got into the EB and headed out of the parking lot. The EB felt more like a V8 than the V8 did and the V8 felt like a really nice V8 but the EB was more crisp and sporty and though I know tons of truck guys love the deep throaty sound of the V8 5.0, I've always preferred quiet power. Now the new 2016 with the 5.0 I drove yesterday was damn nice though...that truck was in the new Lithium grey color and I haven't decided if that's something I'd continue to favor for years or not...cool to see for a change though and that truck was sick (in a good way).

9. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    This is the 2016 FX4 XLT 5.0 I drove Friday, color is called Lithium Grey...looks tactical, thing was pretty sweet. I keep thinking about it and it's calling to me like a seductress. :eek2:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. elkguide

Dislikes Received:
    You have to look at it in the driveway in the morning......................

11. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just get it....I love mine. I do love the wheels on it too.

12. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    From the inside...I kinda want to sleep in it. :lol:

The price these stupid things run, they should come equipped with a full sized apartment.

13. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love the look of the 2016 and that color is great!

14. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I will be in the market for a new truck this year. My 01 f250 is on the down hill side and not going to make it much longer. I'm almost at 200k, on it. What type of problems are you having with your old truck Covey?

15. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd get the 3.5. The 5.0 is bulletproof and has definitely stood the test of time, and I was reluctant about the economy boost at first, but they've been out now for a few years and I've heard nothing but good things from those that have them. Havent researched them hard cause im a toyota guy but i think if i was going to buy an f150 I'd definitely give 3.5 a shot.

16. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    The 5.4L engine has the crappy variable timing phasers and VCT solenoids that stick, it's a common problem with the 5.4. They cause rough idle and noise like lifter clicking. $2800 fix at the dealer, not that big of a deal...I just don't want to have to keep dealing with it and the 5.4's are underpowered for a 3/4 ton pickup and the MPG on that truck averages about 11mpg.

I kinda hate to part with it, it's paid for and still looks nice and fairly low mileage at 83K miles. I may talk myself into keeping it for a while yet, have to have it fixed either way. Doesn't use any oil so I think the engine will still be pretty reliable after I change the timing components and the CVT solenoids.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  17. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I got the same engine and same problems, but I always just deal with it. I may go diesel on the next truck, but they seem to have there problems too. I will have to go used on that option, I don't know how anyone can afford a new diesel, pushing close to 60K, insane!

18. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I'm also looking at diesels right now actually, 3/4ton to full tons. Lots of trucks out there. The 6.7L diesels are said to be greatly improved over the junk 6's, the emmisions crap is probably always going to be a pain in the neck though.

19. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    I'm anxious for Ford to debut a 5L ecoboost in an F-250...

20. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The ecoboost has power out the wazoo, but the MPG is no where near advertised.