Ok, runners. Is there a thing as "too much?"

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by MGH_PA, Mar 16, 2016.

1. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    This is a good one for Hooker.

Ok, my curiosity is getting the best of me. Running, at least according to my FB news feed, it blowing up in popularity. Everybody is doing it. Not only that, it seems many people can't stop at just 1 5k. 1 5k turns into multiple, then 10ks, then half's, then full's, ultra's, trail races, and then circuits, and even multiple marathons in a month.

I'm a part time runner. I ran in high school (400m, 800m, and XC). I now run when I can on occasion (about 3 times a week no more than 4 miles, and most of the time it's just interval sprints for 25-30 minutes). I just never got hooked on the distance thing.

I know a lot of running related injury is a result of improper form and/or training, but to me, it seems like it cannot be good for you to be running these extremely long distances with such regularity. I often wonder if this running generation will see significant joint degradation in their older years, or possibly other orthopedic issues.

So, what are your thoughts? I'm glad that at least there seems to be a big fitness kick among our younger (and even the older) generations, but I often wonder what drives people to take it as far as they do (or if there really is such a thing as taking it too far).

Completely random topic, but the latest post on my news feed from a 40 something getting ready to do her 5th marathon in about as many months is my inspiration :)

2. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's probably rooted in the same area that makes us sit in a tree in zero degree weather or hiking back into remote locations to sit and waiting for a buck or bull to get into bow range.

There's running and then there is taking it to the limit of the runner.

There's bowhunting, then there's taking it to the limit of the hunter.

Each time a limit is met, many are driven to push past it and see where the next limit is.

3. RCW3D

RCW3D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Let me preface this by saying I spent 20 years in the Navy and hated running because my knees always hurt. In 2009 (40 years old), I decided to take up running to build myself up after cancer treatments. I started with just trying to complete a 5K in November of 2009...then I wanted to beat my time so I trained to get faster. Then I started to up my mileage to get do an 8k and then a 10K. From there my goal was a half marathon. Once I completed that I looked at a marathon taking place in November 2010 and figured I could probably do it so I trained for that as well (multiple 5Ks, 10ks, 10 milers, and other 1/2 marathons as well). I completed the marathon and with the exception of some sore muscles no worse for wear. My knee pain that I had endured in the Navy was gone and I never had any issues at all. After the marathon, I settled back into running 3-4 miles at least 3 times a week. I did that for another couple of years until I slipped in the woods ad broke my leg pretty bad. After a few surgeries, and a long rehab time, I'm just now getting back to running again (leg is still painful but bearable).

Every study I have seen says that running is actually good for your joints, I see a lot of much older runners out there so I have to believe that it is actually good for the joints. Now I too have to wonder about the extreme runners, it seems to me that anything done in excess has repercussions. Not sure I answered your question though...LOL!

4. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Too much too fast can definitely be detrimental to your health.

For me, I love going long and seeing how far I can go. With a 3 year old, I don't run nearly as much as I used to, but I still run 20-25 miles every week. I have a 10 mile trail race this weekend. I would like to get back into marathons and ultras next year maybe.

As far as joint pain, I look at most of the big marathon runners I know, and most of them are middle aged. They seem to be doing just fine. I just suggest most people listen to their own bodies. Your body will tell you when you need to back off.

Now as far as how much can we, as humans, go, I think we are just now testing those waters. Ultras are soaring in popularity these days and is one of the fastest growing sports around the world. And they keep getting longer and more extreme. I don't know what kind of studies we are able to do with the effects of these ultra runners running 100s of miles a week right now. They all seem to be quite healthy though as of right now.

5. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Delete double post

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  6. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just some random thoughts from my end:
    -I never ran over a mile until I was 32 (now 38)...it happened all at once with signing up for my first elk hunt and then my wife signed up for a 5k to lose baby weight after our 4th child. I always just ran with her as it was great time together and for our health. She signed up for 10K in 2012...but a month into training she said I think I can do the half-marathon and I said "I will if you will"...we ran a half that May and came home that morning and booked a marathon for Oct (had never discussed marathon before that)...I guess we were on runners high still:) That is still our only Full marathon but have done multiple halfs together and I have ran a couple times per week (3-5 miles) over last few years.
    -I've witnessed same thing with more and more getting involved with running. Wife even helped start running club at school 2 years ago (private school K-8), and each spring 4-8th graders meet 3 days/week after school in spring to train for a local 5K in May. Last week we had 52 (of 200 total students K-8) come out for running club...I love seeing that. My daughter was only in 1st grade last year but was able to participate in running club since my wife was helping (she's also 1st grade teacher that school) and my 7yr old daughter ran 30 min 5K on her first try!
    -Cross country has now been added in the fall and my 6th grade son did that as well last fall
    -With mild winter this year, I got into the running kick early this year and for no reason I've been increasing mileage each week since new years...I just ran 16 on Sunday (I have not run over 10 in a couple years).
    -All 4 of my kids played basketball this winter, no doubt I can see how running benefits their game (same for soccer or any other sport)...they are still going strong in 4th quarter when majority of other kids are red faced and panting.
    -In last year I've mixed in a lot more elliptical and other cardio as sometimes all I did was run (on pavement) which is probably not the best idea for joints and injury...my times are actually faster by cross training more and running fewer times.

Not sure I'm answering any of your questions, but agree with your observation that running seems more popular than ever and my whole family is enjoying every second of it. Runners high is a real thing for me. And when I see people trying every workout fad and gym membership in the world...I always tell them all you need is a pair of shoes - nothing will make you sweat & rip off pounds like running.

Speaking of Hooker...

I'm pretty sure it was him way back when I first logged onto BH.com that said a bucket list item was the LT100. I googled it right away and was amazed at what I learned. I had never even heard of an ultra much less 100 miles through the mountains. Well I end up in Leadville my first year elk hunting, and have even taken my family there to camp/visit last summer...and a part of me has never given up on the idea of the LT100...always thought age 40 would be a sweet time to try it...(maybe that's why I'm increasing mileage again for no real reason)

I can also understand when my friends say "why run" as it is not very appealing to many. I like it, keeps my heart/lungs in shape, gets me outdoors, keeps my family healthier...I guess there are worse things I could be enjoying. Seems like a decent way to stay fit as I age. The atmosphere at races and among racers has always been excellent in my opinion also.
    What drives me - that answer is probably similar to "why do I hunt"...sometimes I don't need to justify it, I just know it feels right body/mind/spirit.

I suggest reading Eat & Run by Scott Jurek, and Born to Run if you start running more, both books helped motivate me.

Good Luck with whatever you decide!

7. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Never was overly into running even though it was always pretty easy for me. I ran mile and 2 mile in track in HS (not fast), so my training was 8-10 miles a day. Once I graduated my was navy boot camp than the semi-annual 1 1/2 miles required for PT exam. My running since then has been while playing softball. I did run a 5K 2 years ago. Being out of shape and over weight my shins don't last long.

I would like to get to where I can comfortably run 5k comfortably, I've always been more into biking. From what I have learned, most of the pain is a result of not being in shape and overdoing it. A friend of mine went through the Couch to 5K plan and says it worked well for him.

If I can get close to keeping up with my daughter, I will be happy. She wears the soles off two pairs of running shoes a year.

8. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not a runner here. Never have liked it and just don't enjoy the pounding in my chest, my hips and my knees.

Now get me out on a bicycle................................
    slow year last summer and only rode 3500 miles.

9. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Good discussion. No doubt running is good for you. I just always am surprised how dedicated some get. It almost borders on obsession, but you guys do make a good point. The same could be said about some of us with hunting.

The closest I got to driven training was in preparation for the Tough Mudder a few years ago, and I over trained for that for sure. Wasn't near as difficult as I thought it would be.

10. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hated running and never understood people getting "hooked" on running. Well, that was until I started trail running and training for trail races. I would have a number in my head I wanted to hit distance wise and turn around and go back out if I didn't hit the mark. I'm currently behind and trying to get started back 2 years off, thanks knee surgery.

11. Wisconsin Buckwatch

Wisconsin Buckwatch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll start by saying a few things. Running for me and i suspect some others is about pushing my own limits as well as clearing my mind. I love running dirt trails and with other people. When you do a running event whatever the distance people around are the most welcoming and friendly. It's really a great community of people to associate with. With all that said I am a much worse running on the hard ball. My knees will get very sore when compared to the trails. My last thought is about joint degeneration..If that becomes a larger issue then say cancer, diabetes, or heart disease we are doing well.

12. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know how you runners do the whole run to run thing. It amazes me (in a good way). Get me on a bball court though and I'll go until I have to crawl home basically just too competitive to give up