What are your retirement plans?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by BJE80, Mar 16, 2016.

1. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    At what age do you see yourself retiring? Will it be a full time retirement or will you do the part time thing?

What do you see you doing during your retirement? Travel? Hunt? Hobbies? Do you want to move to another area?

If you live in the north will you be a snow bird and go away during the winter to someplace warmer or stay home?

2. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Retire from my actual job low to mid 60s and "retire" from farming when I can't get in my equipment anymore. Hunt and ice fish as much as possible during spare time and travel.

Could never fully retire and will never move.

3. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    have a chunk of land with a small house, and a big garage. spend my days in the woods, on the lake in the garage woodworking.

My wife won't agree but one can dream

4. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hope to retire at 60. May have to wait until 62. Hope to downsize house and have a house on 10-12 acres out in the country. Hunt, fish, repeat often.

5. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My only real goal is to have a summer cabin somewhere in the PNW, maybe Whidbey Island?

Other than that, I'm sure we will travel and be around wherever the kids/grandkids end up.

No idea when I will be able to do any of this though.

6. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    It changes with such regularity that who knows what will happen if/when the time comes.

I would like the retire by 52 (31 now) at the earliest. I will have 30 years of teaching in. That would be full time retirement. If I'm smart about it, I won't have to do a part-time gig. Healthcare will be the big question mark, and who knows what the situation will bring.

If all goes to plan, I'll move south from Jan-Apr (GA or SC), and then spend summers traveling a bit and working my land (hopefully), and, of course, hunting.

7. Sswpriz

Sswpriz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think I would retire fully, I may drive the wife completely bonkers if I do that. I like the work I do, so what the heck, I could do it part time also...
    As they say.......I owe, I owe, it's off to work I go !!!

8. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Get an RV and travel the country at a slow pace and take in all the sites instead of trying to pack them all in to a vacation. Buy a home in the mountains and enjoy it. I might do some woodworking on the side, I like to do that

9. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't plan on fully retiring ever...could change but who knows. I see myself working privately for local assessors like I do now, eventually getting tired of the running around...and run for elected county assessor where I live, serve for two terms and than just find a quiet part time gig at like a sporting goods store or shoot range I am at now.

Not sure how NEVER working would do with me.

10. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hope I never have to retire, I love what I do and write my own schedule. Once my children are fully raised I will work as little as possible from November to February and hunt and travel with my wife.

11. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    A few comments really drive home that a lot depends on how much you really love what you do. I see how some self-employed people would never want to retire since you're more likely to really be in control of your time.

I would never give up my profession for another 9-5, but I would give up summers off and top tier benefits for complete flexibility in my schedule like some have.

12. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would never want to take one of the things I love to do, and turn it into a job. Having to do it in order to make ends meet seems to take the fun and enjoyment away from doing it and I wouldn't want that with things I love. I do enjoy my job, but it still just a job.

13. Tetra

Tetra Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm on track to retire in about two years at 59 1/2. We plan to split our time between our humble home here in Oklahoma and on a humble sailboat cruising the Atlantic ICW. We'll divide out time between family, church work and traveling. (Oh, and a nice hunting trip or two each year for me!)

14. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I work in the 401k industry, from what I can see most people wont have a choice they will be working until they keel over.

15. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My wife and I want to gradually move closer to our dream of owning 30-50 acres (or even more if affordable) so we can start a small homestead with chickens, maybe some goats, and a nice big garden to grow food. I'd like to have at least half of it be wooded with deer to hunt and I'd like to have a pond stocked for fishing. I just imagine my kids coming over with their families and teaching my grandkids how to hunt and fish. Beyond that, I'd like to travel to Western and Northern Europe once or twice and either take a yearly trip to Florida or maybe somewhere in the Caribbean, not for the whole winter like some, just for a week, enough to enjoy the beach and salt of the ocean.

16. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's sad. What's the % of people investing correctly?

17. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Having had the most miserable boss in the world my whole life, (being self employed) I don't see me ever retiring. I like working with my hands. I don't plan on employing a large crew any more though. My wife wants to retire in 5 or 6 years and then be able to take a couple of cross country bicycle trips so that is in our future. I already find a way to get out west every couple of years to hunt so that will continue. (even got to New Zealand last year!) We live on 25 acres abutting the family farm of 350 acres. I have really been blessed with a wonderful wife and great children and now great grandchildren.

So retire? Probably not. Slow down? Maybe.

18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure when or if I will retire, but I will still be based where I am now but will get out and escape winter kinda like I do now.

19. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My plan is to just try not to die before I get a chance to retire.

I am 31 and right now so by the time I look to retire the age should be right around 70. that's if they let you when the time comes.

20. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's not necessarily what they are invested in but more that they are not contributing enough, if anything, towards retirement.

You would not believe the number of people who have loans out against their 401(k). I consider myself lucky to have worked in the industry, it has really motivated me to contribute more than enough to my own 401(k) so my family and I can retire comfortably.