Justice Scalia

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by dnoodles, Feb 13, 2016.

1. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I cannot think of a worse thing to happen to the Constitution, and thereby extension to the USA than to have Antonin Scalia die while the current POTUS is in office. It's like Satan himself planned it.

2. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Very bad indeed.

But maybe it will light a fire under the butt of folks who have taken the makeup of the Supreme Court for granted. The 'all politians are the same' crowd.

My gut feeling is still that Sanders will be our next POTUS. :(

So... we're doomed and Scalia's passing just speeds things up.

3. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Saw something earlier saying there probably won't be a replacement named because whoever gets nominated by current POTUS wouldn't get approved. But who knows.

4. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I read several articles on Scalia last night, one of which was in the Washington Post. Pretty cool that he took a female Jewish justice, Justice Kagan, with him hunting. She had never shot a gun and somehow she managed to pull off killing a whitetail deer. For all the things we read about in the newspaper and see online, many stories are not told to us because they don't fit the model of what sells. Many of the people you would expect to despise each other, in fact do not. Many times we are being played like a fiddle by the press.

Another thing I observed were some of the terrible comments made about Scalia, many of which celebrated his death. Those same idiots also said they hoped Clarence Thomas was next. What is wrong with people? The guy stands up to the modern day electorate's notion that the Supreme Court was put in place to CHANGE the peoples will via the Legislator, and he is vilified? Where is our country headed? Seriously it is like I talk in another language when I talk politics with 80% of the people under the aged of 30.

5. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He had true understanding of the Constitution and it's purpose (protect the people from government). He was one of the greatest jurists ever, let alone in our time. RIP Scalia, and I sure hope the replacement isn't named by Obama.

6. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Terrible for the rule of law and the constitution. Sad day indeed

7. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    That's because the education system is fully operated and controlled by 1960s radical vermin and their biological and ideological offspring. K-12 and post secondary.

I know there are some holdouts but they are a super minority. I challenge anyone to attempt an intelligent conversation with your average elementary school teacher under 35. Vast majority are dumb as a post and steeped in liberal theology (yes, I meant theology)

8. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sad day.
    I wish I had some words but I just don't.
    Concern for our Republic I have plenty of.

9. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Saul Alinsky's play book, by design.

10. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, now Obama wants to do his constitutional duty? Wtf? What happened the last 8 years there hussein? Taking executive actions at every turn bc you don't like how the playground is being played on. Go ahead and take your ball to the house so the next president can fix this atrocity if change we have had for the last decade. Please!!!

11. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I liked him, for the most part, and will miss him.

A new justice will be appointed before the next president is sworn in in January 2017.

The new appointee will be a liberal.

But, there's a good chance two liberal seats open up in the near future. Ginsburg and Breyer are both talking seriously about exiting.

If a conservative is elected that's 2 conservative appointments. If a liberal is elected tour looking at 2 more liberal appointments.

It will be interesting.

12. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Appointed sure; but confirmed?
    If a confirmation vote is even held every single R vote of yes will be primaried and probably defeated.

13. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Agree, a sad and troubling turn of events. When I saw the new flash I got a little sick to my stomach as I knew that POTUS would move very quickly to try to fill this seat with one of his own. Kagan and Sottomeyer, in my opinion did not have the chops to be on the Supreme Court so I would not expect anything greater from him now. He has been greatly dissatisfied with the Supremes and one of his signature regulations was just shot down last week and he was pissed. EPA clean power plan. He can nominate but I would think they would have a very low chance of getting through the Senate. A recess appointment was being bandied about as a solution for him getting someone on the bench. As he said after he was elected "Elections have consequences" he was correct as this is one of the major consequences.

14. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    He'll make a recess appointment if he can't get a confirmation. I think either kagen or Sotomayor were a recess appointment?

15. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    People think 9/11 or the stock market crash or Katrina or whatever else you want to list were turning points or a moment in our recent history which changed the country....all fail in comparison to this. Depending how this plays out, we honestly are going to see what it truly looks like to have our 2nd Amendment attacked, taken and forced from our hands.

The question is will the nation remember we are a republic of the people and not a Democracy led by the few. :D Something many many many people forget.

16. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    A recess appointment still needs Senate approval by the end of the next session, though, if I'm not mistaken.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  17. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That is my understanding as well.

18. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  19. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I really hate to think this way but with all the evil and craziness in the world I find myself questioning if it was really natural causes.

20. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So fat 79 year old men dont die on their own?