Trapping Equipment/Tactics Recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Spear, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure if there's another section this would best fit but I have been interested in getting into trapping raccoon for about a year now and I think I'm going to give it a shot this year. No one in my family traps so I'm YouTube learning and reading a lot. Skinning and fleshing isn't a problem as I've been a deer hunter for over half my life and handled countless deer. Below is a list of equipment and what I envision in terms of tactics. Am I on the right track? Do I need anything else?

Equipment I plan on using:
    Duke dog proof raccoon traps
    Fleshing knife
    Skinning knife
    Tail stripper
    Fleshing board
    Stretching boards (I may make my own according to NAFA specs)
    Pins/staples

I understand how to find trails and either staking or cabling the traps and I plan on using dry cat food, raccoon lure, and fish oil. I plan on starting with just one trap so I don't overwhelm myself. Check traps daily, yada yada.

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds about right.

Not much value in Coon right now unfortunately.

3. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
  4. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It's been many years, but that looks directionally correct. Gambrel?

What are you going to use for dispatching (.22 was my goto when needed)?

My days precede most of the dog proof traps but swivels, stakes, wire and tags were also in my basket along with a sifter, trowel, locks & gloves since I was also trapping fox.

Check your local regs to make sure you're not missing anything (like tags to identify the owner/trapper...I don't know if this was unique to NY).

5. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I noticed that, seems to have dropped consistently the past few years. But anyway, I'm doing it more for learning a new skill and trying something new. Maybe tan one myself and make a hat or something. Just a hobby, not a means for money.

6. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, either .22 or a .117. I will be on my property but I planned on tagging my trap just for the purpose of following best practice.

7. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I think your on the right track by using dog proof for coons. Lot less work than running a traditional foot hold trap, and probably just as effective. I've never ran specifically for coon, I was always looking to thin the coyote population. It's just really hard to find enough time in the day to run any sort of trap line and do everything else I have to.

8. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yup, I don't know where I'd find the time anymore.

I used to run my line in High School and usually check my traps before school (~7am), occasionally after school when I was running a muskrat line to let some of the early season ice melt during the day...

9. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Luckily I don't seem to have much of a yote problem in my immediate area and if I did I'd be shooting them over trapping them. My intention is to trap when I go to the cabin for the weekend (for the purpose of down time), and will depend on if I've killed a deer or not since that takes priority. One thing I didn't realize is the trapping season, it's so short here in Ohio!? Is it only a few months in most states??

10. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Nov. 15th to Jan 31st here in Missouri. A conflict of interest with deer hunting for sure.

11. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Middle of October to middle of March in Minnesota.

12. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Many buyers are not even taking coons this year and the ones who are aren't paying jack. Probably safe to go with more than one DP. Even with a few of them you likely won't be overwhelmed unless you are simply crawling with them. I prefer a 22 cal air rifle or live pole snare for dispatch. Not a fan of blasting a gun all over my line making a ton of noise. You can make a pretty nice fleshing beam out of a length of PVC, I have mine rigged up off my garage wall at a comfortable height. Works nice, you can also make your own wire stretchers and save some money there. No need for any pins or staples with fur for stretching if you go that route either unless you start stretching beaver hehehe that made me laugh.. anyway... Have fun, trapping coons is great for population control and to pass the time, horrible for money.

13. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    LMAO!

14. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cabelas has started selling traps recently. Good prices, you might want to give it a look

15. Ruff

Ruff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Stay away from fish oils and meat baits and use sweet baits. You catch a lot less skunks and grinners with the sweet baits. Take a big marshmallow and once the DP is set and baited place a marshmallow in the hole. Keeps the mice out from stealing your bait. Coons love marshmallows.

Also check with your fur buyer as to how he prefers to buy. Put up, green, or on the carcass. You'll get more $$ from him if he's buying the way he likes to get them.

I prefer the Freedom Brand DP's they set a lot easier.

Have fun!

16. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Much good advice up above... I've been hearing some good stuff about the Diablo brand of DP as well, and they're about as cheap as they come:

Wolf Creek's Diablo Dog Proof Coon Trap Excellent NEW coon trap, Low Prices!

I plan on picking up a dozen to go with all the Lil' Grizz's I've got to place as "sacrificial sets" around my high-value bobcat sets to keep the coons and grinners out as much as possible. Nothing more frustrating that running your line in the morning and having a nice walk-through or cubby plugged up by a grinner, and when you pull your trail cam card and go home and watch it you see a nice big tom 'cat walk by as the grinner stares at him while he's wearing your steel bracelet :(

17. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oh... and if you're gonna go to the trouble to drive out to your trapline every day (assuming you've got a 24-hour check like most places -- which is just good ethics anyway), I'd start out with at least 3-4 to spread out, if not a half-dozen.

18. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll probably only trap when I'm staying at my cabin for a weekend anyway. Let me know how you like those traps, Duke was just the brand I saw just about anywhere I went for equipment.