Is Carhartt outerwear worth the price?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by BB4tw, Feb 4, 2016.

1. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm all for paying up for a quality product and believe you get what you pay for... up to a point.

I'm not willing to pay extra simply for a name and excessive advertising.

So, is the extra dollars that Carhartt gets for their stuff worth it or is their other brands on par quality wise but maybe less known.

I've had good luck with Key, poor luck with Walls. I've never tried Carhartt yet mainly due to the price.

Please share your opinion.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  2. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Its awesome stuff. Having said that, some off brands have been serviceable. Is it worth it? Maybe. I try and find it on sale (hard to do) and jump on it. I prefer it over the lesser brands but in a pinch I will buy the lesser brands.

Translation to the above: It depends.

3. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Their bibs are worth it, jackets and vests as well. The other stuff like hoodies and jeans probably not. I usually get about three years out of a pair of bibs and longer with the jackets.

4. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Jackets - definitely. Bibs - probably but I have had many other brands that served me well on the bibs.

We get a couple jackets a year from seed and chemical companies at work so it's nice not having to pay for them.

5. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think it is definitely worth it. But buy something you like because the chances are you will never wear it out. It wears like iron. It is one product that I think justifies the price.

6. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    100% this....and I say this as I am wearing my Carhartt jacket that is at least 10 years old

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  7. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've found it to be worth the price. Don't really wear the bibs very much that I have but the jacket and heavier coat I have have lasted. All gets worn pouring concrete and doin chores for cows. I've also got bunch of the long sleeve shirts that have held up well. I wouldn't say it's a waste but there are other good brands do depending on how hard you are on stuff. Main problem I've had with cheaper stuff is the zippers but in all reality I'd imagine most zippers probably come from same place ha.

8. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Most of their products are heavy duty and help the phrase that "you get what you pay" for mean something.

9. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was hoping to hear that Carhartt is actually worth the price.

I'm specifically looking for new insulated bibs right now. I had a less than one year old pair of Walls fall apart in the washing machine earlier this winter and my 5 year old plus Keys had the zipper go bad today.

The zipper is the weak link in every piece of outerwear I've ever owned.

10. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't realize Carhartt is expensive? But I bought my jackett probably 15 years ago and can't remember last time I've used it?

11. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

BACKSTRAPASSASSIN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have an old set of carhartt bibs i still wear and they are damn near bullet proof.....12 years old I believe...maybe a little less...great stuff

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

12. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I use mine for everything from rabbit hunting to deer skinning to shoveling to wood splitting and everything in between...

If I lost it, I would need to replace it

13. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yes. I've had the same pair of bibs since I was in high school. Im 33 now. Hunted everything in them. Worked construction through college and for 3 years after and wore them every day it was cold. The bottoms are a little frayed and they are discolored but other than looking old they are still perfectly functional. If something happened to them I'd buy another pair in a second. I also have 2 jackets that are tough as nails. Great product in my opinion.

14. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes Carhartt is worth it. I use their double knee pants, flannel lined carpenter jeans, bibs, and jackets. I still have my first jacket from when I started hunting at 6 yrs old.....it's getting a little tight though :lol:

15. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I love my Carhartt pants and bibs. But I'll never buy another jacket.

16. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Back in the day Carharts were the go to brand, I have found that their zippers and closures have gotten cheap.

17. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, they are worth it. I have a jacket that daddy bought me when I was 15 and 20 years later I still wear it. I would wear the bibs he bought me then but I got too fat for them . They have lasted longer than my wives did. Lol

18. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Worth every penny. I own a ton. Bibs (insulated and non), jackets, vests, and plenty of their work pants. I wear and work in it a lot. Holds up great.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

19. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It is definitely the working man's friend! It's a shame that most of their stuff isn't Made In USA anymore.
    I think I have at least one of everything in brown duck. Bibs, vest, jacket, coat, arctic bibs. You name it. Carhartt is the brand to have if you work outside. The best money can buy.
    If you wash them don't put them in the dryer.

20. Woods

Woods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just threw away my coat this year that I had for 10-12 years. The pockets finally wore out and had enough other tears from fence work. My new coat is a Carhartt Extremes it's called and is made for the worst elements. It seems to be water and wind repellant so snow doesn't melt and get me cold which was a problem with my old one. I have snagged it on rusty jagged gates and brushed against barbed wire and no tears yet. Also been out below zero for hours at a time and kept me warm with long underwear, t-shirt, and hoodie underneath. Very happy with it. Was a little worried cause it seemed like thin insulation. It was only $95 and I got a 20% discount just before the new year at Mills Fleet Farm. Just wish they had some Extremes bibs left in my size during that sale. Carhartt® Arctic Quilted Lined Extremes® Active Jacket, Black - 108334, Insulated Jackets & Coats at Sportsman's Guide

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016