Wings -

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by BJE80, Feb 4, 2016.

1. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Give me your best recipe for making wings. I would prefer the oven or grill instead of deep frying. I am in charge of that for the Superbowl.

Lets hear it.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  2. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    • Hotayaki wings
    • 4 lbs Chicken Wings
    • 3/4 Cup Teriyaki Sauce
    • 2 teaspoons crushed red peppe flakes
    • 3/4 cup Tabasco Sauce
    • Discard chicken wing tips.
    • Combine teriyaki sauce, crushed red pepper and pepper sauce; pour over chicken in large plastic food storage bag.
    • Press air out of bag; close top securely.
    • Turn bag over several times to coat all pieces well.
    • Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
    • Cook wings on grill 4 to 5 inches from hot coals 20 to 25 minutes, or until tender, turning over frequently.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  3. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Get in the car, drive to nearest Sonic and place order. There's are pretty good.

In all seriousness, I'm not much a cook so it's typically just basting a wing sauce or bbq sauce onto the wings as they cook on the grill.

4. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Jamaican Jerk recipe I am making this weekend... Many people don't like the different flavors that come with Jamaican Jerk though. Let me know if you're interested and I'll get the recipe.

5. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I actually take a different approach than most. "Marinate" in Texas Pete and Italian dressing in the fridge for an hour, take them out and place on aluminum foil and sprinkle with garlic powder, onion salt and black pepper. A nice bed of coals on ONE side and put the chicken on the other and cook them indirect - nice and slow. No particular measurements but they come out nice and crunchy with a nice color.

6. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My favorite go to website for gourmet bbq recipes is BBQ & Grilling Recipes | BBQ Pit Boys. check them out for real. Hundreds of recipes for everything. All on the pit, smoker, or my favorite open fire.

7. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  8. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Take how many ever wings you want and boil them until cooked.
    Season generously with Johnny's Seasoning (gold label)
    place them on the grill just to where the skin barely starts to turn golden.
    Remove wings and coat them in Red Hot (not the wing sauce, just the red hot)
    Back on the grill until the skin/sauce start to crisp a bit.

If you want mild/medium wings serve them this now. If you want medium/hot, coat them again with the sauce and place on the grill again.

It took a lot of time to figure this out, lol.

9. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    can't eat them, too much cholesterol. lol wish I could!!

10. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    IMHO wings are best deep fried because the crispy skin helps hold the sauce. Having said that, deep frying at home is a pain, especially if you're doing small batches.

To try to get them crispy in the oven is the trick, in my book. Grilling them also a good option, just beware of flare ups.

Start with defrosted and dried wings (rinse them and let them air dry well in advance of cooking them.

If you cook the wings on a pan they're noodlely because you're almost braising them in their own fat. Getting the wings off the pan is the next 'trick'. I use my wife's wire rack inside a baking sheet.
    [​IMG]
    A light coating of nonstick spray on the rack helps cleanup as does covering the baking sheet with foil.
    [​IMG]

For crispy wings you need a hot oven 400 or 425 seem to work well. Get it preheating (wait a bit if you're battering/breading).

The next question is breaded/battered or not. It's not my thing. But if you do now the time to do that (you'll need to figure what works for you). For me the wings are going nearly au natural. They get a light spray of non stick spray or oil. The oil will help crisp the skin and hold any seasonings you may want to add at this point. A bit of salt & pepper, Montreal seasoning or for real men dried cayenne, ancho or habanero (not recommended for kids). Don't overcrowd them on the rack, to close means noodlely wings.

Into the oven. I'll give them a peek at about 25 or 30 minutes.

If needed rotate the wings or flip them if you crowded them...fortunately there is some 'shrinkage' when they cook, because the airspace will help them crisp.

A brief pause is needed here to talk sauces. Some sauces like glazes set in the oven (like teriyaki) others dress the wings at the end. IF you're using a sauce that sets in the oven, now is probably the time...lacquer them up.

Back into the oven to finish cooking. Another 25-30 minutes. Keep an eye on them you're looking for that golden brown deliciousness or doneness if they were glazed (this may be somewhat a judgement call).

Non glazed wings or the necked (as we say in the south, naked for the rest of y'all) ones get sauced. Me, they get 100% Frank's Red Hot sauce.
    [​IMG]
    The wings simply go in a big bowl and the sauce poured over them so they can be tossed. (Note: if you have kids or don't like the heat, use a mix of butter and Frank's about a 50:50 mix seem to be medium; more butter than Frank's gets you to mild; YMMV-melt a stick or two of butter in a pan and add/wish in the sauce to taste. Note the butter sauce is not approved by cardiologists but it's good. Don't get the butter to hot or melt the butter too far in advance or the butter sauce will break).

Serve. :tu:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  11. jjnowak

jjnowak Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have done them in the smoker the last couple of times. They came out amazing.