You have got to be kidding me!

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Skywalker, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just had a conversation with two guys at work, both in their 30's. Neither one votes and neither one has a clue about what each party represents. One comment was, "Well, I guess I'd be for the democrat because they are for the poor." SMH.... Mind you, these guys have good paying office jobs.

I just don't understand how people can go through life and be that clueless about the things that are going on around them.

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sometimes I wish I could ignore politics.

3. giant

giant Newb

Dislikes Received:
    wen they get thier hunting rights taken away or rights to bare arms ... then be to late for the clueless bunch to do anything even if thier lite does come on

4. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sometimes that saying "ignorance is bliss" rings true...Must work well for those two.

5. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It would be nice. It is hard to do in the Trade that I'm part of. There are things that we just can't ignore. There are flaws to all of them. It is to the point you have to pick the lesser of two evils.

6. AmishHerb

AmishHerb Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It's people like you that get these kind of people to the voters booth. Inform them of the choices that will affect there children and their community.

7. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I personally feel it's our duty as Americans to understand our political system. Everyone in this country needs to know the importance of being a republic, or even more importantly, they need to know what the alternatives would be. People tend to take things for granted. Today, the younger generation seems to take freedom for granted. They have no clue that there are places in the world that do not afford the freedoms we have. Places where your destiny is determined by the government, not your own free will. There are millions of people that would give anything to live in the great country, and we have people here who take it for granted. It just blows my mind how spoiled we have become.

I understand that not everyone wants to think about politics, but not knowing what party each candidate is affiliated with? That's terrible and it really goes to show how disconnected people have become.

8. wisconsin bow hunter

wisconsin bow hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have to admit that I was older then in my 30's before I paid any attention to politics, but the way I was brought up, politics werent discussed much by anyone in my enviroment, including my parents. It wasnt until someone brought it to my attention about how important it was to be aware of what was going on in the world of politics before I realized how much it did affect me.
    I would advise someone sit those two down and have a serious talk with them about it...

9. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    While I'm not advocating ignorance... I would suggest that MANY people take politics WAAAAAAY too seriously. If national elections are having an effect on your personal mood and daily life, you need to step back and let go for a bit. Voting is important, yes. Making sure we keep our rights is important, yes. But whether you care a great deal and let it personally stress you, or you didn't even know it was going on... life goes on. Your level of concern has no bearing on the outcome of Congressional decisions or elections. Life is far too short to be consumed by this bigger national picture 24/7... enjoy YOUR life first.

10. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Understanding how and why our political system and government works would go a long ways to helping us continue to prosper as a society. Instead so many people go about their lives like sheep in a pasture being lead around by a shepherd. With freedom comes responsibility and that responsibility should start with an understanding of how our government work and who is making decisions that directly and indirectly affect your life. We have far too many people that are ignorant and their opinions are developed from looking at MEME's on Facebook.

11. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    While I do agree, I'll play devil's advocate for a second. How is your knowledge of the situation having any different outcome on things than his ignorance of the situation? In reality, both have zero effect on the actual outcome. I agree whole heartedly we should be up to date on current events, I just don't think it actually matters in the bigger scheme of things. That's what I always argue to my father, who lets the national political scheme upset him personally.

12. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In many countries in the world, if you don't take time to vote you are fined. I was taught that if you didn't vote, shut your mouth and don't complain.

13. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've pretty much accepted that the vast majority of people do not agree with me politically..or at least they don't vote that way. Its kinda frustrating, but I've come to terms with it. I'll just keep voting for the little guy that I agree with while feeling morally superior within my little bubble.

14. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    The problem is, there are way too many people who are blissfully ignorant. Only basing their thoughts and opinions off stuff they see on Facebook or the Daily Show. Now, not all of these people vote, but there's enough of them to completely skew the system(See 2008 and 2012 presidential election). Those, mostly young, low informational voters did infact make a difference and it wasn't in a good way.

15. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Considering that both sides of the establishment are bought and paid for the same groups individuals and corporations. you can almost make the argument that though our continued participation and belief that we are making a difference by voting, we validate and prolong the broken beyond repair system.

16. sasquatch87

sasquatch87 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That's why we need to bring back the draft or make it a requirement to server one term after high school. Make things hit home where the clueless day dreamers are forced to know what's going on and what the consequences are! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454531139.400026.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^this 100 percent

Got to get money and lobbyist groups out of politics first and term limits to all.

18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Complaining without action is whining, I don't listen to whiners.

19. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I see just as much ignorant voters on the far right as I do far left.... That's the problem. Everyone has a party allegiance with their mind already made up. Maybe it's just the area I grew up (IE the people on my FB feed)... but I see more of those dumb, horribly inaccurate Facebook propoganda posts ANTI-Obama than for Obama and liberal politics. Don't get me wrong, I am not a supporter of Obama in any way. I just honestly think the guy could cure Cancer and we would see a FB meme about how he killed 3 puppies in the process. The uneducated voter block is a scary one no doubt, although I'd argue Sir Donald is quickly gaining as many in this category as Bernie or Hilary on the left. Blind Hatred and unrealistic ideas that would sound legit over a 12 pack in the garage are what Donald is actually leading the polls based off of.

I affiliate with the right far more than the left, but any more I'm ashamed to even claim that.

20. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It always tickles me when I hear people say,"Democrats are for poor people." Like there are no rich Democrats! Really! Their party's logo is a Azz for a reason.