Beard care

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by CoveyMaster, Jan 9, 2016.

1. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well I made a choice a couple days ago that I'd let my beard go and see what it does. It's always itched so bad after it gets a quarter inch long that I give in and just cut it off. My face usually breaks out and it's just too uncomfortable to deal with. For whatever reason this time the initial breakout and itch wasn't quite as bad and started kind of tapering off, now it's about a half inch long and still itchy but more bearable. I trimmed it today on my throat for a neckline and my cheeks and I have to say I'm kind of diggin it.

It's still itchy as hell though, lol. If I can stand it, I'm going to let it go and see what it does, it grows pretty fast and pretty full as far as I can tell. One reason I let it go is because I just get sick of shaving the stupid thing. I changed to a safety razor a long time back because blades for my fusion were just ridiculous. Like the safety razor but I would like just trimming better than a full shave every damn day.

Anywho, wondered if anyone uses beard oil or something similar for their beards. Will it stop this itching? Been told it's the way to go if I'm going to grow it out. If so, what kind works best, etc... Should I just man up and ignore the itch or use an oil or balm or something? Help. :lol:

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    And hipsters wonder why people mock them.....

3. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I received a kit from the Dollar Beard Club as a gag gift for my birthday last month... I thought it would be dumb and I'd hate it, but I actually kind of dig the products. I don't like the balm at all except for shaping your mustache. Love the shampoo, brushes, and oil though. Beard is softer than ever and easier to tame now. Mine is currently about 4" or so after 2 months. I will likely let it go until I kill something with my bow again. Hoping that is a February Muskox and I don't have to wait until June Bear Baiting haha.

That said I think the beard products are more for actual beards once they get long and attempt to frizz out and get bushy. Anything less than an inch is just scruff. :)

4. ath1089

ath1089 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I do this same thing lol

5. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I say you need to grow a pair while you grow a beard. The itch will pass.

Seriously, though, the itch will pass and you are almost past it. I think it has more to do with your skin than the length of the actual hairs because I keep mine trimmed back to what some would consider scruff and it doesn't itch anymore like it did when it first grew out to this length.

6. Jeremy/PA

Jeremy/PA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  7. cr422

cr422 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't get the itching. I've had a full beard for a long term and never experienced any itching. As mentioned, it's the skin that's itching. How do you wash your face (beard) when you shower? I used to use the same shampoo I used on my hair. Rinse well and dry well. No reason for it to itch.

8. zachdm

zachdm Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use my wife's lotion and that seems to work or use something for sensitive skin

9. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Sota being Sota. I knew posting this would inspire someone's ****** side to jump to action. Good thing we hipsters are used to getting ridiculed...

None of my friends or family here wear a beard, internet research only goes so far. Next closest thing to friends or family I have as a resource with experience to answer this specific question are here. Didn't figure it was any sort of crime against manhood to ask a simple question of the only folks I know and respect that have beards. The folks that are too insecure to answer a question about hygiene are welcome to keep to themselves.

10. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My girlfriend got me some beard oil from essential oils that works wonders and i'm not a hipster, just a redneck who's educated.

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Seem a little insecure about the whole deal, relax it was meant as a joke dang hipsters are a sensitive lot.

12. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    I admit I'm sensitive about being called a hipster, as far as I'm concerned that's about the same thing as being called a nancy or fraud. I can never tell when you're joking and when you're serious.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  13. Brandon8807

Brandon8807 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  14. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Heck I am dang near 50 to me everyone under 30 is a hipster.:) It is funny it does appear that all hipsters shop at the same clothing stores and go to the same barber. Like you can't be a hipster if you don't have a beard or a handlebar mustache.

15. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I just turned 40 last September, lol.
    The term hipster to me conjures up an image of a no job bum that follows pop trends and adopts different things just to be trendy. Like tight jeans or a beard, wearing flannel shirts and carrying an axe while walking down a sidewalk in order to portray an image that is no part of their actual character. They're usually liberal and value crafting their style over hard work and honesty. They just wreak of BS and that turns my stomach.

16. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Pisses me off with all their micro beer crap, just drink regular beer, and what is with the tight fitting clothes? I would grow a beard but it would be gray and I would look old and my wife would want nothing to do with me.

17. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    I have only had a full beard once, back in 1985,,,yes im old. I sport a grey goat most of the time, well trimmed at that. I absolutely refuse to grow a full beard since its all grey now, IMO nothing looks worse than a full grey beard, there just ratty looking! No offence to anyone that has them, just not for me. If it was still brown it would be on! And under no circumstances would I ever put coloring in it unless im just messing around with face paint LOL

18. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The itch is from the ends of the hairs stabbing back into your skin. Once they get so long it won't be problem.

19. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    He's always joking ...

The itch will stop. It takes way more work to have a long beard than to shave...do the work and you will love the results....let's see a current pic!

20. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Crap...I absolutely hate taking and posting pics of myself. Oh well, here .
    [​IMG]