AR Parts

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Skywalker, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For those of you who dabble in building your own AR's, where do you buy your parts? I'm looking to build a new upper in a different caliber to use with my existing lower and I'm just looking for the best online supplier.

2. KCArrowSlinger

KCArrowSlinger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  3. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  4. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We bought our uppers from midwayusa. Lowers and lower parts from Palmetto state armory.

5. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Palmetto state Armory, Primaryarms,Aimsurplus and Joeboboutfitters, Bravo company USA , weapon outfitters.
    Really just depends on what I'm building and the desired specs. For a plinker I just got to palmetto state.
    And just because, Green mountain barrels and ballistic advantage barrel are really really good for the money.

6. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So what are you building? 300blk or 6.8?

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm thinking 300blk because I can build it and only have to change out the upper. Ammo is pretty pricey since I'm not a reloader but I don't shoot that much. I'm thinking I'd eventually like to get a suppressor for it.

8. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If your willing to go the NFA route might as well go SBR as well. The .300blk doesn't really gain a lot going over a 9" barrel.
    The nice thing about the .300 is the barrel is the only thing that's different.
    I had a 9.5" pistol that I built that was pretty fun. Hits to 300yds were easy.
    But once Sandy hook happened I consolidated on 5.56 since I don't rifle hunt deer.
    I reloaded for it with a friend but even then components were few and far. Not a problem any more. Just remember to label your mags,.300 blk WILL chamber in a 5.56 and the results are catastrophic.

9. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty much every site listed here. I really like PSA, Primary, Joebobs, and dsg.

10. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    JoeBobs and some of the others have been my go to source. I just got finished with a 300 Blk. SBR with a suppressor. I bought all the components and put it together myself. If you go that route do yourself a favor and set up a gun trust which will help you with NFA. I am shooting basically subsonic and it has been a load of fun. I do reload which helps me feed the beast. Wish you the best with your project. The 300blktalk.com is a good resource and helpful with a build project.

11. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used BCM and palmetto state armory when I built mine. Skd tactical has a decent selection and good prices too. Haven't looked around in while though but wanting to change mine around some so I'll be buying some stuff soon.

12. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What a lot of the guys said. I get most of my stuff from Primary Arms, Bravo Company and Rainier Arms. Aim Surplus, Joe Bob, DSG Arms, Midway USA, Brownells, etc. also carry a lot of stuff. If I remember correctly Rick James gets a lot of stuff from AR15.com. As far as building an upper that will use your lower there are a ton of options, 6.5 Grendel, 6.8, 5.45x39, 7.62x39 and .300 blackout. My last upper was a 7.62x39 upper which is a blast to shoot and ammo is cheap.

13. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have used many of those already mentioned but also did a LOT of mine at PK Firearms.