You ever think back and say, "darn I was lucky not to be killed or hurt bad"?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by virginiashadow, Dec 1, 2015.

1. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    A couple of years ago while on patrol I marked out with a suspicious vehicle with four occupants. I walked up onto the vehicle and began getting a real bad feeling. Next thing I know they all start shuffling around in the car and dispatch came back and said the car was stolen....two of them bailed out. I chased one of them and another one took off in the opposite direction. Luckily my buddy arrived on scene within seconds and we got two in custody and eventually used a K9 to track down a third. I was familiar with one of the guys because months earlier I had encountered him right after he had shot a gun at a clerk at a convenience store.

Long story short, two of the occupants of that car that day have point blank murdered two people in the county in which I work this year. One of them set up and executed a 16 year old on school property while the other murdered another young kid. I guarantee one of those two guys that fled that day had a gun and for whatever reason they chose not to use it. Damn I was lucky.

You guys ever look back after the fact and say "damn I was lucky not be killed or hurt bad"?

2. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've always wondered how I did not get hurt or worse when I was younger and street racing everything I could. Between a 400 horse cobra and a 636 Ninja I'm happy to still be here.

3. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    I remember the first time I went over 100mph in a car. My buddy had this corvette and we went like 120mph...I swear I saw my life flash before my eyes.

4. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ya I can relate with several occasions. One was when I hit 150 on a crotch rocket. I can't believe I was that stupid lol. Made it to the next town over (which is 14 miles) in less then 7 minutes maybe faster. I was wearing a helmet if that helps any thing? Although I would have wished I was dead since I was wearing shorts and a tshirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When I was about 14 years old I was down in at our creek/pasture hunting with my .22 and my yellow lab. A few locations down there we have electric fence going across the creek to keep the cows in/out. When the water rises it starts catching loose debris like sticks and so on. Well my dog went for a swim and got swept underneath the debris. I waited for about 10 seconds and he never came up. I didn't even hesitate at that point and jumped in and got him loose. Looking back now, it could very well have happened to me as well. I still haven't told my parents about that day; over ten years later. Cringe thinking about how deadly that could have very easily turned out.

Another time down there with my dad. In the winter when the creek freezes we always used to walk along it for something to do on nicer days. Well I happened to find a soft spot in the ice and fell through. I was starting to get swept under the ice when I threw my hand up and my dad grabbed ahold of me and pulled me up. That's probably the closest I've been to dying. It would have been very tough fighting the current back to where I broke through.

This creek is only a couple feet deep during most of the year but rises in the spring and after a big rain. Doesn't much matter how deep it is going under the ice either.

I have fallen through ice fishing early season a couple times but hardly got wet on those occasions.

Trying to cross a 15' deep lake in a small 12' boat, wearing waders and fighting a 25+ mph wind while duck hunting in November. Dumb...

6. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just a few years ago, i was up on some industrial shelving about 30' up. I was running a large conduit while standing on a cinder block, lost my footing and fell.
    By some miracle, I caught myself by grabbing one of the shelf cross braces. No doubt if I fell head first on a concrete floor from 30', I probably wouldn't be here or at best, be paralyzed.
    It was a real stupid move, and still freaks me out a bit when I think about how close I came.

7. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There isn't enough room on the server to cover all of the things that I am thankful that someone was looking over me for.
    Let's just say that after the first night out with my father's Oldsmobile station wagon and I had to take it home with the speedometer stuck at 120 MPH was the start of some very lucky nights.

8. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Every day I wake up next to the wife, is a good day, because she did not off me during the night.

9. sheddinva

sheddinva Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A few years ago I was hanging a hang on stand and the chain bent the bracket that was supposed to hold it up and caused me to fall from a 25-30' base. Broke tree branches on the way down and my hat ended up 20 feet in the other direction. Found my bubble gum that i was chewing over near the hat too. Landed flat on my face in the forest floor and just knew I had broken something (I didn't somehow). Extremely lucky that day among others.

10. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Lol, I can relate. Except we had a Buick Roadmaster wagon.
    Also too many close calls to detail them all, but most involve vehicular stupidity. Been thrown into 2 windshields with nothing worse than a dislocated jaw. Also had a creek bank give out while I was mowing the top with a riding mower. Rolled down about 8' and ended up getting pinned underneath it. I was able to keep my head above water for over a half hour until my little sister came looking for me. Had it been the day before I would have drowned as it had rained and the water was higher.

Was also shot through the ear with a 1000fps+ .22 cal pellet rifle. That freaking hurt. 2-3" over and it would have been my eye and maybe into my brain.

11. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I fell 20 feet the first time I ever climbed into a stand. That was about 16 years ago. The strap was dry rotted and my brother was with me. Somehow all I did was scratch my arm and knocked the breath out of me. Needless to say it was a long time before I could climb back up into a stand. What a way to start my hunting career.

12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I will list a few things I have experienced in order. Ever been put in a dryer, the old style with the heavy latch so there is no opening it from the inside, and had it turned on? hit by a car, I peed my pants that day, granted I was in second grade. Set on fire, my brother asked me if I wanted to play stuntman I had a polyester snowmobile suite on, he sprayed me with gas from an orchard sprayer and lit me. Shot in the head, grouse hunting guy shot me in the side of the head, that stung and 2 drops of pee came out. Worst on was on a fire response it was a house fire I went because the fire was spreading to the house well we caught the escaped part and was looking for hotspots I had my fire boots on, they are rebuildable so the have brass screws on the sole. The main power line from the house had burned off and was still live, I missed stepping on it by one step.

13. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's an absolute miracle I'm still here. Between work and my younger days I can't count my near death/dismemberment experiences.

14. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Mainly just driving at excess speed when young. About 150 in an old Camaro, 135 on the bike in Southern Cali. And pulling the front wheel up in 3rd gear, before realizing I was pushing 100 at that time.
    110 from LA to San Diego on I-5 to get the 65 mpg on the bike was kind of interesting

15. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, Ive done a lot of stupid stuff too guys. Real dumb stuff. Not real sure why I am not broken in half or dead. lol

16. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    the one thing of many was when I was in my early 20's and I worked on a nascar featherlite modified race team for LW Miller. we were heading from NC to Jennerstown speedway in PA. LW was the truck driver as well as the race car driver thank god. we took a short cut that looked good according to the map. this was before the gps days. well we kept climbing a hill in southern PA and you guessed it what goes up must come down. just as we crested the summit and headed down for a bit we lost brakes. our crew chief was coaching him every corner heading down that hill. once I looked over and seen the speedometer reading 110mph. we had a broken air line on the trailer so our e brake didn't work either. then as we kept swerving back and forth trying to scrub off speed at the bottom a car pulled out in front of us. luckily it seen us coming and got the heck out of our way. we luckily coasted to a stop in the middle of a town where emergency personal were waiting for us. someone must have called ahead for us. we talked about ditching the truck in a field several times on the way down. nothing like millions of dollars worth of racing equipment pushing you to your death. I think about that often and realize how lucky our whole team was that day.

17. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    about 8 years ago while in college I was working for an Ag fertilizer company. I was filling anhydrous ammonia tanks to go out that day and for what ever reason I blacked out (doctors not sure why). luckily there was another guy on the riser with me at that time because I could have died if the tank I was filling got full and the pressure valve popped off and bled the tank out.

Pretty crazy stuff.

18. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I work the same job. Had many encounters where after said "wow, that could of been it"

Also in my youth I had the sport bike up to 167mph. That was enough to say after "what special kind of stupid are you".

Great thrill though. Did it in a very very very safe place but still. Crazy to look back.

19. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Way to many times. God has defiantly been on my side.

20. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When I was younger I had a little 70cc pit bike and I used to ride the crap out of that. I'm sure I had a few close calls but I can't remember a lot besides when I hit a jump without a helmet and I bit the dust when I landed. I'm surprised that bike lasted 2 years the way I rode that thing. I also had a klx 140l and I used to jump a 40 foot table top that some guy made for his kids. There was a whole race track and it was fun until they tore it up for some stuff they had buried in it. Then one day I decided to jump the ditch and let's just say that was the reason I don't have a dirt bike anymore. I hit I little kicker and when I hit the other side my front tire caught some dirt and my bike just rolled. A few days later the gear box blew and I only had 5th gear left. It sucked but I'm hoping to get a new Husqvarna te300 one day but probably not soon.