Compact SUV recommendations

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Brandon8807, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Brandon8807

Brandon8807 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We've recently started looking at SUV's for my wife and I'm looking for input from anyone that may own some of the models that we're interested in. We're looking for a compact SUV that get's pretty good gas mileage as she drives a good bit for work. Top options right now are Honda CRV, Kia Sorento, Hyundai Santa Fe, and Subaru Forester. We're hoping to be out the door right around $30k. Anyone have any input on the above vehicles whether it be good or bad? We haven't done any test driving yet, just cruised around the car lots this past Sunday to avoid harassment haha. We'll probably do some test driving this weekend to see what she likes. Thanks in advance for any input!

2. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The new Chevy Equinox are suppose to be pretty sweet! I think it meets your requirements for price and fuel economy.

3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    If you haven't take a look at the Mazda CX-5. My wife has one and it's a great little SUV. We looked at the rest on your list and for the price this one was the best equipped, best mileage and best safety ratings.

4. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    the wife is on her second Forester. so far theve been great.

5. Brandon8807

Brandon8807 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How many miles did she put on her first one before getting the second one? Only thing that makes me a little hesitant on the Forester is that it's a bit smaller than the others.

6. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    buy American... have a Dodge Darango, had a Jeep Cherokee... love me both... also a Blazer back in the day, but bigger then your looking for...

7. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you go Kia but want a compact SUV that'd be their Sportage. We have had good luck with our Sorento though and been a champ overall.

I've looked at getting a SUV and the Ford Escape line is one I keep going back too...may be because it is easier to find affordable but with AWD (which I'd like to have).

I agree with Justin though if you're looking new (i'm looking used) I'd definitely consider the Mazda he stated, have ridden in one and sat in driver's seat, thing felt great and the owner raved about it.

8. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Think about a 2013-2012 Lexus RX. Used it may be in your price range and you'd be buying a top of the suv. IMO

9. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have to rent vehicles for long work trips and the CX-5 has been the best out of the CRV, Ford Escape, Jeep Patriot and Hyundai Santa Fe and Tucson.

10. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We drove them all 2 years ago when we were looking. The CRV was a lot smaller than we thought. The Equinox drove like a tank. We liked the Forester but did not like the maintenance cost.

We eventually ended up with the Ford Escape, which my wife loves. It is fun to drive and has more room than you think. No issues so far. We got the Platinum model, so it has everything and I think it was right around $32k.

11. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes the mazdas are great and also toyota rav4. Dont count them out.

12. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd look at the Rav4 and the escape. both are little tanks.

I'm not a fan of hyundia and kia. Overall numbers show the long term reliability isn't there.