Single Stack 9mm Finally Chosen...

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by tynimiller, Sep 10, 2015.

1. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    **Disclosure: Lengthy post, explaining fully decision, initial thoughts, description and short range report (more to follow).

Okay, so my Glock 19 is my carry choice when I'm OWB carrying and no worries about it being seen are present. My pocket .380 is on me all the time and when dressed in suit or dress clothes for work it is my sole carry piece. The one thing I didn't have was the small slender single stack 9mm that could dissolve IWB in scenarios where I want to carry something more than a pocket .380 (which is as much as I can without it being visible at work).

So I began shooting many, many different options for the better part of a year and a half. Kahr CM9 and CW9, Taurus 709, Sig 938 and 290, Ruger LC9s and LC9 (WORST TRIGGER EVER!), Kel Tec PF9, S&W Shield, Walther CCP and held the PPS (not a fan of feel), Beretta Nano and the one I was waiting on all along Glock 43.

Let me breakdown the ones that got serious consideration and I would and still do recommend if people ask me at the range/shop I work at part time:

Ruger LC9s - This thing's slender ergonomics are something I like but have realized there is no middle ground here, it's a love or hate design it seems for most folks. The sleek design does make shooting for a while get tiresome on the hand but this isn't a target pistol, it's a small workhorse and it does that very nicely. It's initial trigger pull is probably the shortest pickup and pull out of the entire group...but it's reset is longer than I'd like, for some the amazingly nice trigger will override the reset...but the deciding factors why I didn't go with it are: reset and I like just a little more meat in the grip of the gun to fill palm more.

S&W Shield - This is the one that won out for feel in my hand...grip fills it out by it's design and nearly feels like you're holding a full size (CCP has similar effect IMO). To me it has a solid, not amazing trigger and reset, making it a definite gun to consider in this group. Final factors that made me not pick was the only thing I LOVED about it was the feel of it in my hands...otherwise I was just a fan and not in love with it. Solid gun though as are any of these listed.

Glock 43 - The long awaited gun is the reason I took so long deciding but once we got it, I wasn't so thrilled to be completely honest. It is a Glock and for that reason alone I know it will be reliable, shoot anything and simple to operate. The trigger to me is where Glock failed us all, it isn't as nice as their other guns and makes my Glock 19 feel like a hair trigger (it is stock!) in comparison. It's reset is nice but again I sense perhaps a touch longer than Glock's normal (at least my feeling). Ending factors I didn't get the Glock: overall not what I expected from Glock, only 6+1, trigger not what I expected....still a solid gun no doubt....and someday I bet I own one, because I do like Glock!

Sig 938 (&290) - The 938 is a sick gun, and I mean that in a good way! Only reason I didn't get one was I wanted a Double Action...not a SAO. Pistol is just awesome though and if I wanted to go away from a poly frame or to SAO this gun would be mine faster than Hillary cleared her server! The 290 feels great...but the trigger is dang near Kel Tec long and hard...with a long reset as well. I shot it great just not a fan of the trigger myself, would recommend though to folks as it is a solid gun offered by Sig and some like longer trigger pulls.

Walther CCP - Loved the ergonomics even more than the shield...but I HATE the pyramid slide...trigger was solid but not great and the reset is dang near Kel Tec long as well! If you like Walther's you will love the gun and look over the reset.

Kahr CW9 & CM9 - The CM9 intrigues me and I believe someday I'll have one. As a true pocket 9mm I don't feel the thing can be beat. I've heard of a couple issues from folks but also a LOT of good. I shot both well and obvious liked the CW9 more for shootability but the CM9 can be carried in places no other 9mm I'd consider can. Trigger is that long but INCREDIBLY smooth Kahr trigger with a average reset (nothing great). Would recommend if someone must pocket carry and wants to stay in 9mm...this purchase was geared towards IWB though.

Taurus709/KTPF9/Nano - Just didn't make it for me...actually owned a PF9 once, shot everything I threw through but trigger is terrible, reset is terrible, ergos are nothing special....

20150909_161718.jpg

***BERSA BP9CC***

I obviously ended up picking this one hence the picture. Now I am not saying this thing is perfect but for me personally it wove everything I liked most about all the others and made the most of them into one gun. With many questions and few thoughts/reviews online about it I figured I'd share here with all of you.

Highlights of it:

TRIGGER - The trigger is light, only gun that SOME MAY ARGUE beats it would be the LC9s and but only due to perhaps slightly less take up. The Bersa has some initial pick up before breaking very crisp and light, there is no wall at all! The reset however is awesome! Like non-existent awesome. Sig fans will tout it is no better but maybe equal to some of the short reset Sigs...and to each their own, I personally think it has them beat by a hair. For the light trigger and extremely short reset some people (idiots IMO) feel it isn't safe for EDC.....I'll just say I disagree. Another thing of note that I love about the pistol is the trigger itself is wider...one wouldn't think this would be a big deal but comfort of a wider trigger is awesome and you feel like trigger control and finger pad placement is much more consistent. Everything I've read states the pick up on the trigger smooths out after a touch of shooting and goes from a solid initial trigger to a GREAT one....we will see if I experience this as well.

SAFETIES - No external safeties really to speak of. It does however come with a key lock...mine will never be turned off so moot point to me personally.

GRIP - Yes, nearly all I would say reading this will be have room for their pinky on this gun! Which is awesome in such a small compact sized gun. Otherwise the grip may be a touch too smooth for some and if you like a rougher grip Hogue or Talons could be an addition for you....I may or may not gonna give it more of a break in to see.

SIGHTS - Here is the only real grip I have about it...the stock back sights are tiny two dot sights that are borderline ghost gray and non-existent. Those who black out their rear-sights will love them...those that love bright in the open rear sights will hate them. I plan on changing them out eventually...but I'll state at the moment after first shooting I see the benefit of the back sight dissolving, naturally encourages you to focus on front sight more. I actually foresee me liking the sight set up despite my initial thought of dang...there basically is no rear sights.

MAGS - You get two and they seem well made and load extremely easy...by their size and the pistol's size you'd most likely guess 7+1 but the things hold 8 (easy all the way through the last one) making it a 8+1 firearm. Extra mags are not cheap though, sold from anywhere from $40-55 a pop usually.

ACCURACY - I shot just at 15 feet the first time and was getting 2/3inch groupings...I hadn't shot in a while (shoot less now working at a range ) and I feel it was in part my fault it didn't do better. As I settled in my last 2 mags worth were all half dollar sized groupings....shot perhaps 6 mags worth myself (RSO friend there shot 2 as well).

RELIABILITY - Way too early to know for sure...but the thing ate all the miscellaneous junk I had laying around. Serious when I say it had probably 4 or 5 different hollow points in the bag, some target, all different weights and some of the brass was tarnishing with age...oh and some were old re-loads. Thing never missed a beat...that was out of the box with just the slide wiped down due to packing grease...no internal cleaning at all. I was pleased...will continue to shoot more and more over coming weeks to see more.

ONLY REAL NEGATIVE - If forced to say what I would change about it, it would be the mag disconnect safety. Some love this feature, I'm kinda undecided but if asked I'd probably say no over yes to it. **edit addition** The mag release is a touch difficult at first but once adjusted not a big deal at all...however I'd like just even another 1/16th of an inch protrusion of it.

Breakdown of specs:
    caliber: 9mm
    magazine capacity: eight rounds
    magazines included: two
    action: short DAO, striker fired
    barrel length: 3.3”
    overall length: 6.35”
    width: 0.94”
    weight (unloaded): 21.5 ounces
    sights: three dot
    line of sight: five inches
    MSRP: $429

Closing thoughts are this. Is this the perfect gun in the single stack small 9mm framed guns? Not for you possibly..was it for me, yes. It combined everything I looked for (nearly) into one gun, is there a few things I'd change about it? Possibly, but all in all this is more the single stack 9mm I was hoping Glock would make...and for that I knew I'd found the one for me. Good luck with your search, do yourself a favor and at minimum hold and dry fire (test/rent if at all possible) all the main ones I highlighted...I guarantee one of them will be your fancy!

5/24/2016 Update:

This gone is now a trusty carry gun still not facing any kind of ftf or fte with any carry rounds and only one I can remember during the initial start up days. The trigger is seriously selling this gun to people asking to test it out themselves. I am thinking about stipling or Talon gripping it some as it is just a touch too slick some on the grip side of things...other than that though, I have ZERO complaints truly for it.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great write up! My 43 been growing on me.... I been switching back and forth between it an the FNC and between the two of them everything else haven't left the safe.

I really don't mind the trigger on the 43 because of what it is and how I use it an think about it. My biggest issue I have so far with is the grip is way to slick for me...I put a talon sand paper grip on it and it felt much better. However the new grip caused me an issue when I carried it. I am using a small kydex holster with a single clip, it has a full back to the holster except for the grip....the sand paper talon grip rubbed the hell out of me so I took it off. I ordered the rubber talon grip in its stead and will see if that works better.

I really need to sell a bunch of handguns and make some room as a few haven't seen the light of day in a while.

3. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great review, enjoy your new toy!

I have the rubberized Talon grip on my 43 and I love it and the extra width it gives the gun. I've carried it many days while working in the woods, hiking for miles, etc......the grip doesn't bother me at all on bare skin. I'm also carrying in a Crossbreed Minituck and love the setup.

I'm on the same page as trial with the 43's trigger. Mine actually feels pretty close to my 19 now that it has several hundred rounds through it and I like it for what I'm using it for. I can hit the hell out of a 4" spot with it out to 10 yards. I added TTI +1 mag extensions and Trijicon HD's and I can't think of a single thing I'd want to improve on the gun. I really like it.

4. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Yes in retrospect the sandpaper talon grip was just a mistake on my part, it was on eBay and I quick made a low ball offer and he took it.... I should have thought about the sandpaper on the grip with the open holster I am using. If I had a full back on the holster I would have left it on. The purchase was excellent with it.
    Now that you said you have the rubber grip and its working Well for you that is great to hear, because other then the grip I don't have any really negatives on this gun. This is coming from a guy that isn't and hasn't been the biggest glock fan. I think they nailed it with the 43.

5. trial153

Dislikes Received:

Good luck with her!!

I am looking at the back strap and I can't tell from the picture...is it straight or is there a slight swell 2/3 of the way to the bottom?

6. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Slight swell...not quite as much as say the Shield but definitely swells which helps fill the palm more.

7. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Yea looked it but it was hard to tell with the case in the background.

How is she to field strip?

8. Bullseye

Bullseye Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just curious, why wasn't the Springfield XDS on your list? I carry one as my primary carry and I really like it. I shot several of the ones on your list, and the XDS was the best fit for me.

9. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    The XDS single stack 3.3 is a nice little gun....

10. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    The XDS isn't a bad gun and I handled one just never fired it like all the rest. Just didn't feel right in my hand. Not hating just spaced it and left it out entirely.

Field stripping ain't bad at all...
    Not Glock easy but is simple and straight forward.

11. Mo_bowhnter

Mo_bowhnter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a CM9 and it is a great little carry gun.

12. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Reliability feed wise any issues? This is on my list to get, love the idea of it's size being very pocket friendly and may in certain attire replace my tiny .380.

13. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Put the rubberized talons on today, really liking it.

14. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had the CM9. It felt great in my hand but I hated the trigger on it. I finally got rid of it and now have a G43 and the FNS9c. The FN is my main carry gun between the two.

15. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    What are we related ?

16. Polecatmasten

Polecatmasten Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I couldn't decide between a Shield and the 938.
    I bought the Sig and haven't regretted it. I'm getting ready to buy another for my wife. I usually have it in a Supertuck, but it fits really nice in my front pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. OK/Sooner

Dislikes Received:
    Hah maybe so.

18. OK/Sooner

Dislikes Received:
    I bought my wife the shield. That's the one she kept going back to after shooting several of them. She loves it.

19. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    938 is a sick sick (in a good way) little gun!

20. Polecatmasten

Polecatmasten Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's the best way, let them shoot and pick. I'm just glad got away from her 380. I wish she would carry two .45s .)
    Crazy world anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk