Waterfowl Season 2015-2016

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by greatwhitehunter3, Jun 29, 2015.

1. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know there are some guys as anxious for this year's waterfowl season as I am.

What's everyone doing to prepare?

I've been working on a semi permanent blind to put down in our pasture/pond this year. It's turning out pretty much like I had drawn it up so that's always a plus.

I used two cattle panels to make the frame. The dimensions are 8' long, 40" wide and 52" tall.
    [​IMG]

I framed the door with 2x4s and then made a door out of plywood. Added two "locks" on the outside and one on the inside to keep the door secured when I am not there and while I am hunting. Also made an X to keep the door from warping too bad.

[​IMG]

Next I made a frame out of 2x4s and 2x2s. It's going to be a 1-3 person blind. I used 2x2s for simplicity and weight rather than all 2x4s. There are a couple more 2x2s that aren't on this picture yet to frame the lids.

[​IMG]

After the wooden frame was done, I tied all of the cattle panels together with rebar ties. I am going to criss cross them both ways (only one in picture). It's very sturdy.

[​IMG]

I used lattice for the top. I wanted something that was somewhat solid but that I am able to stubble and see out of at the same time. I am going to weave stubble through the lattice itself and leave a spot or two open to look out of.

[​IMG]

You can get a good idea of how the lids are framed for each of the three people. It's been fun building this and honestly will be tickled pink just to shoot one goose out of it. It's heavy enough but two guys can easily move it around. I will use a two place open snowmobile trailer to move it. All I have to add is some chicken wire on the sides and ends to help hold in the stubble. I wont be doing this til closer to season so I will add more pictures then when it's all set up and ready to go!

2. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looks good. I have been bitten by the waterfowl (mainly geese) bug pretty hard. I am more excited for it than I am deer hunting. I messed with it the last two years and am trying to get everything to be self sufficient this year. Anyone mess with silos for geese instead of shells and full bodies? Some of what I have got used so far:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting concept. I like it!

4. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    That's crazy after seeing the work you do for deer and the deer you've taken. Just shows how great goose hunting can be!

Silos are a great way to add numbers to your spread on the cheap as well as hauling/storage. When I first started out all I used was a dozen shells and 4 dozen silos. We shot plenty of geese. Of course I'd rather use the spread I have now but I do plan on getting a couple dozen again for fillers.

5. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Silhouettes are great for filling in larger spreads but I don't think I'd make an entire spread out of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Your blind looks good. I've used stock panel before. I used it as more of a portable blind. I cut it in 4 foot lengths 3 foot high. Each piece is hinged together using hog rings so that each piece can fold down onto the next. I wrapped it in netting and would brush it when I got it to where I was hunting. I cut the bottom run of wire off so that there was prongs sticking out so that I could stick it in the mud.

I've been working on my boat mostly. I tore out the old floor, welded up cracked ribs, put in a new floor and then put the blind back on because I've got a bunch of things I want to do with it.
    I put a deposit in on a new puppy. Found a litter I couldn't pass up a puppy on. Get her the end of August .
    Rerigged a lot of decoys. Added about 3 dozen divers to my spread which will bring that up to about 175. I'd like to have my diver spread at 200 when season comes in.
    I could go on and on and on....

7. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Blinds are all in place, I've got the marshes all drained and ready to plant this year well before it gets too late. Have loads of smartweed and millet to plant in three marshes that total about 25 acres. They've been getting hit hard with ducks and geese the last two years but no one has ever hunted them, lol.

8. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Have gun and dog will travel.:wave:

9. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lol, ours are on upland and no water source to pump them full...they just have to fill from natural watershed. We've just left them full year around the last three years. The levees started getting a lot of muskrat pressure and damage so we decided to drain them for this season, plant them and hope they fill back up for teal. The rain we've been getting this year, filling shouldn't be a problem.

I'd offer an invitation but they're private and I just manage without any privileges to invite friends. I think the neighbor manages to sneak in once in a while though, I found a decoy this spring, lol.

10. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Been doing a lot of research lately and Im going to jump into this. Ive got a couple buddies I can tag a long with and show me the ropes. Here in the near future I'm going to buy my first gun. Its going to be a benelli supernova. I did a bunch of research and and got my hands on some different guns and this one felt the best and its in my price range. Needless to say I'm really excited to get after it.

11. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    I've got a Nova (basically same gun) and love it! Cousin has the super and loves it as well. Have never had a problem with it and it's seen some rough days in the field!

My advice to you, is if you have friends to tag along with and use their stuff, save up and get some quality decoys down the road. Duck hunting on water is pretty cheap but if you start field hunting, be prepared!

12. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Chris, how are the calls coming along?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

13. frenchbritt123

Dislikes Received:
    When you guys are field hunting, where does your dog go?

Separate blind for dog? Lay next to you in the open?

Have you seen a layout blind designed for a dog behind you? Unsafe?

What's the best way to approach this, I am thinking separate blind.

14. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome thats good to know. I was told that they have everything and I just need a gun, shells, and my license. :tu:

15. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You'll love it

16. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    We have separate dog blinds for both of the dogs and they go on the end. I wouldn't get anything that the dog is in the same blind as you. One thing to make sure is that everyone that is hunting with you knows that the dog's safety is number 1 (of course after the people's) and that a shot at a bird is not worth hitting a dog that is breaking to retrieve.

17. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Here's an example of how we do it.

[​IMG]

18. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thats what I'm afraid of. The I will have two things to drop money in instead of just bowhunting.

19. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Here is one with the blinds. The dog blind is the very first one in the pic.[​IMG]
    And here is one of the dog in her blind while we were training.
    [​IMG]
    And here is one of the dog in her blind out in the water.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  20. frenchbritt123

Dislikes Received:
    Just bought the Avery GHG Ground Force Dog Blind on marshmutt.com. They had a 15% off coupon for today on their website.