Keystone XL

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by trial153, Feb 12, 2015.

1. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  2. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Why is keystone so bad but other pipelines nobody says a word about? What makes this pipeline so bad? I guess we would rather ship all that same crude by rail in a less safe manner tieing up our railroads and forcing a trucking boom thus causing more pollution and filling out roadways with Semi's all while increasing costs when there is a safe way to ship under ground.

Eminent domain can be an issue and abused. But everyone says "not in my back yard". Everyone.

Lastly the , pipeline was proposed to go around the aquifer and was still shot down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Warren Buffet owns The Bat-Earred President. he also owns the rail-ways i think.
    add it up!

4. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's ALL ABOUT THE MONEY
    ...somebody will get rich by it being built. Those getting rich NOW by it not being built will fight tooth and nail to prevent it from being built.

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Huffington Post is as liberal as drudge is conservative. Have to analyze the source of the info.

6. TRBrew

TRBrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The Keystone work boom would inject the country with millions of dollars of wages and materials.

The technology is getting better with the pipes.

I feel it is a plus.

Oly

7. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Imminent domain is BS, it should rarely (if ever) be used...I don't care what the cause. That said I find it effin hilarious that someone at he huffpo would fall back on speaking against ID in order to argue against this pipeline. Liberals love ID and use it for everything. Any time some smuck is standing in the way of any project and refuses to donate their property, a liberal is grabbing a pitchfork and a torch screaming to use ID to take what is needed.

We all love our property, if someone doesn't want to sell...well everyone has a price. If a project like this pipeline is so important then it's supporters can pony up to meet any price or find a mutually beneficial solution to meet the needs.

8. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not only is the tech getting better with the pipelines (i.e. coatings, cathodic protection,) but pipeline companies are building more safety factor into designing their pipelines than ever before. They know bad press of pipeline leaks are a major hit to future pipelines and they are doing everything these days to prevent future leaks.

The leaks you hear about are almost all old pipelines not built to the same standards as today.

9. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  10. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    The issue isn't if a pipe line is good or bad. The issue is private property rights. Which are so far eroded that the government is willing to disregard the 5th amendment, without even the over used premise of public good, rather in this case it's for private profits.

People (myself included ) make choices for against things based on the personal benefit they receive. Cheaper energy ( that has yet to even be established in this case) doesn't supersede an individual constitutional rights.

Keystone is just one small yet very visible example of the systemic over reach of government. This transcends a pipeline and eminent domain. It is a the latest example of the erosion of constitutional rights.

Sec two, the Takings clause
    http://www.cato.org/publications/co...ng-private-property-rights-regulatory-takings

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    They are going about it all wrong as far as the approach of putting a pipeline on private property. Sure they are going to put a pipe in the ground but they plant the rehabbed area over in food plot seed. The pipeline is pretty much paying you to put a 50' wide food plot the length of your property. Make lemonaid.

12. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    What about it going through a yard? A barn? A house? A parking lot?

How about this ....it's my property, I own it, I pay taxes on it. Let me decide what I do or don't do on it.

http://www.econlib.org/library/Enc/PropertyRights.html

13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That idea went out the window long ago, I think right after the legal decision that said if a trespasser comes on your posted property and is injured the property owner is liable.

14. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    You prove my point, our rights are being eroded on a daily basis. We shouldn't add to it, we should be pushing back.

15. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

I said this before and it needs to be re-stated. ED can and is overused. I agree with that. But you are too far on the Property rights as well. Because everyone says "Not in my backyeard". Everyone.

Everyone wants reliable and cheap power, natural gas, oil, gasoline, fuel, etc. But nobody wants that infrastructure near them or to impact them. So at some point ED has to be used. I deal with this on a daily basis. Everyone wants everything built away from them but they still expect all the benefits from that infrastructure.

16. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    This isn't the publics infrastructure. It's a private corporation, building the pipe line order to make a profit. There is nothing wrong with making a profit. However the government doesn't have the right to force citizens to give up their property so a company can make a profit and I can have cheaper energy.

Cheaper products for me and profits for a company do not supersede an individual rights.

17. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

TransCanada is publically traded so it really isn’t private. :o

So since all oil and natural gas products are acquired by private companies how should they get it to market? We need those products. Everyone does. ED is used for the greater good of soicety. That is the point of it.

One of the biggest uses of ED is for Railroads. That is privates companies making profits on taking land from others. Why don’t you complain about that?

18. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    I have no issues defending the inalienable rights of any individual be it regarding a pipe line, a railway, or any ED issue that is depriving Americans of their fifth Amendment right " deprived of life, liberty or property without due process of law".

Everyone is willing to sell other citizens rights down the river when they think the are profiting from it.
    Maybe instead of not in my backyard you should say not my constitutional rights, because it ok as long as it doesn't effect me. That is until your own rights are taken away..

19. TRBrew

TRBrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A couple of summers ago I was able to watch a small natural gas (I think it was nat gas???) pipeline go in along side the back road I take to work West of town. There is a strange duck that lives in a converted old gas station in an old unincorporated town site, surrounded by another ranchers land. His plot of land is probably about 5 acres or so, with a bunch of smaller outbuildings on it. The owner/developer of the pipeline spent the extra money to make a bend around Zero so they didn't have to deal with the guy that lived there. I'd imagine they would do the same if other buildings or infrastructure was already there.

As long as it does not infringe upon your neighbors enjoyment of their land, go for it. At least Zoning was supposed to start out this way, to give everybody the same set of rules to live and build by. In urban areas it get convoluted at best, but I have hope for rural America. I may have a different view on this subject because I am on the Growth Planning Board (the first step in the zoning process) for the City of Terry, MT, and I have seen the inside process of zoning and how it should be used. Long story short, is if you want to live in an unzoned, incorporated town/county, move on out to Prairie County and/or Terry, Montana. We have another 1.5 years or so before we can bring up the issue of getting the town zoned once again. The County Commissioners have made the zoning plan of "don't zone anything".

Oly

20. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Brad, what do you do for a living?