Kids with ADHD

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by BJE80, Nov 11, 2014.

1. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Do you feel ADHD is an invented problem in a modern day society or an actual problem that we are learning more about and are now diagnosing properly? Or some gong else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It is most certainly both.

To argue there aren't kids with a legitimate need of and benefit from ADHD treatment is naive.

It's also the most over prescribed and abused prescription drug in existence IMO. The hard part is determining which category the kid coming into the clinic falls into. I feel bad for the prescribers at time.

3. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It seems that some parents use the drugs in place of actual parenting.

4. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    can't really answer this with any facts to back my opinion but, it's my opinion that no wonder when you put anything and everything in a childs hands, weather it's a Playstation, TV, cellphones, Ipods etc......that children are over weight, out of shape, and over stimulated with all the newest and best that is at their becking call...I actually think there are legit cases of ADHD cases, but as a whole I believe the majority are not legit and in no need of medication....just my opinion...also there is a name for everything nowadays..imho it's all modern day society has to put a name on everything just so the real issues don't have to be faced...I mean sometimes your child is just BAD, not ADHD, or he's uncontrollable cause parents are weak nowadays...not ADHD

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  5. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Let me ask the question a different way. When you hear a parent say their kid has ADHD what is the first thing that pops in your mind?

6. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

First thought....good excuse.

7. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    In some cases it is certainly real. Ive worked around at risk youth for fifteen years and ive witnessed it first hand. I had the attention deficit part of it pretty bad growing up and can guarantee it wasnt parenting. My son has it as well. Thank God he is extremely intelligent bc he can be a real pain in rear. I have to keep him in sports at least five days a week. He will never be given medication.

8. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    double

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  9. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Both, it is VERY REAL and it over diagnosed and used as an excuse.

10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You know how many kids it takes with adhd to change a light bulb?

What go ride bikes?

11. Chris1982

Chris1982 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think ADHD is real, but I would guess only 10% of the kids on meds actually have it. Inactive parents just don't like parenting their active children.

12. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Working in a doctors office where we have many children on ADHD medications I can answer this in both ways. You have two kinds of parents. You have the ones who cannot control their children and think they automatically just have ADHD/ADD then you have the parents who go above and beyond to get their child the correct treatment. The ones who really feel there is a problem are the ones hesistant to put the child on medicine. They're the ones who go to the teachers and have them give their opinion on how the child interracts in different situations. They'll send their child to psych to get an evaluation done or even try changing the childs diet. They try everything to keep their child OFF medicine. Then of course you have those who say "my child isn't doing good in school - they're crazy at home I want them on this medication." They're also the ones who call back in a couple weeks and say the medicine isn't helping and it must be increased.

I feel ADHD is a real problem in some cases - however, I feel a lot of those "diagnosed" with it do not have it. We have too many parents not wanting to parent their children. They want a simple fix to behavioral issues that don't blame them for the issues.

I have a family - three kids - they are all on ADHD medication and sleep medicine. They transferred to us from another doctor who prescribed it, so the doctor here continues it. But, I feel it is unnecessary. They're controlling their children with medication morning day and night.

Another big thing is I feel a PCP should not be able to prescribe these medications. They should have to go to behavioral health - get the correct medical work ups and treatments.

13. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good thing it isn't effecting his school work Brett. Would you medicate if is was?

14. woodsy211

woodsy211 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It seems to be a steadily increasing diagnosis. I think some of the cases are real, but a majority are mis-diagnosed. It just goes along with th way society is turning out in general...

15. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Like many have said, ADHD is real, but incredibly over prescribed and is most certainly used as an excuse for bad parenting.

We, as a society, are so over prescribed with medication. Go to a college campus and ask how many are taking Adderall or some similar stimulant drug. I bet its at around 75%. Its pathetic.

16. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think "ADHD" comes from parenting at young ages. Parents who give their kids everything when they are young because they are cute just set themselves up for disaster.

Now actual ADHD is a medical condition which needs treatment in some way but I don't think that should be drugs in every case.

17. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think it's ridiculous that spanking is so frowned upon but people have no problems pumping their kids full of meds to keep them in order. Like everyone else so far, I think there are kids who legitimately have ADHD but it's merely a fraction compared to how many kids are actually on ADHD meds. My first reaction depends on if I know the parent and how they discipline and bring up their child. If they seem to parent in constant chaos and have no control of their kids then I wonder if they disciplined the child when they were younger and highly doubt their assessment. If you let bad habits form at a young age, you're setting your child up for failure. Unfortunately having kids has become an accessory and parenting is often an afterthought.

18. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  19. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We are over medicated because we don't take care of our bodies in the first place as a whole... A pill for every ill as they say.

The college campus numbers are skewed though, hardly any of this same 75% are actually prescribed the med themselves. Hence my view point it is the most abused prescription drug.

20. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I see ADHD children as kids that are gifted with a lot of extra energy that needs to be directed and exhausted. Not all parents have the time or patience to give to these child's so they drug them down.

I wonder how many top athletes or CEO's are ADHD but they directed that energy.

Kilboars Hunt Club

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014