Dog question (Legal Question Kind of)

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by IAMIKE, Jul 28, 2014.

1. IAMIKE

IAMIKE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, so I have a Chocolate Lab, I've had him since a puppy, he's not aggressive, he barks when somebody comes in, but has never acted on it. He's been around kids, I have a neighbor with a 3 year old who just loves him, he's awesome with him.

Now to the bad;

I have a neighbor married couple who have 2 boxers. tonight I take Kinnick out, and she claims that my dog has attacked their boxer, and he has a gash in his head. Claims she has the attack on video. She never mentioned the police or anything tonight, just asked that I leash him. Sure no problem. Only thing I said to her tonight was, I've never seen my dog around your dogs ever, Ive lived her two years, they have lived here like 7 months. I say I've only seen your boxer chase my lab down the driveway thats all I've ever seen. and I said ok and walked away.

1. Can anything come of this.
    2. Could i possibly lose my dog because of this?

2. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on if they actually have the fight on tape, if it was your dog that agressed, if they want to press charges or get the police involved. Something sounds fishy in the situation though. I'd have to lean towards you being fine in this.

3. IAMIKE

IAMIKE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I should probably mention, that when I take my dog to the "potty spot", her 2 boxers are jumping up on the glass windows, biting at each other, barking like all hell. FWIW Im going to start recording this every morning and night when I take my dog out, saying the date. Just trying to cover my tracks.

4. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Did the attack happen while you where walking your dog and who's ground did it happen on? I a going with the show me your video defense.

5. IAMIKE

IAMIKE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I usually don't leash him, ya ya, i know dumbass move on my part. but he's bird trained so he doesn't go more than 20-30 feet out, i live in a townhouse, so its owned by a corporation.

6. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    depends on city ordinance and whether or not they have video of the incident. Seems odd that they let their dogs out and videotape them the one time this happens. Good luck with this and if they come at you with papers or wanting you to pay vet bills demand to see the video first and then get a lawyer.

7. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Apologize and put your dog on a leash. If they want you to pay a vet bill to get their dog checked out, ask to see the video and if your dog did bite theirs (even in self-defense) pay the bill and apologize again. Better to be good about it now than to build up a crappy relationship with your neighbors.

8. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had a german shepherd in heat come over a 6' chain link to get to my Brittany spaniel one time. Her owner came into my back yard and tried to break them up and my dog bit him in my yard that was posted. He called the police and they told me even though he trespassed onto my posted property and got bit trying to break up two breeding dogs, my dog was now classified as a vicious animal and had to be put down. Then he wanted me to pay the medical bills and when the pups got there he wanted me to pay for their shots. Didn't happen, I had the police advise him of criminal trespass and told him on the medical bills and pups I was going to let him pay so he would learn his lesson. Never heard another word out of him.

9. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    CYA is always a good idea if there's any doubt.
    Why were they videotaping in the first place? Sounds like they were anticipating an event. I will also say this- I've never seen a naturally aggressive boxer. Cautious yes; protective yes; but never aggressive. Sounds like those people have conditioned their dogs to be aggressive. Hopefully it blows over and nothing more comes of it.

10. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So did you put your dog down? In that situation, I'll be damned if I let anyone take my dog w/o a warrant. Dog was doing what he's supposed to do, and reacted the way nature intended and how any reasonable juror would recognize as being a normal, rather than vicious dog reaction.

Also, I know municipalities differ but I've never heard of a 1-strike rule with dog bites unless maybe there is an absolute mauling with severe damage or death.

Lastly, it's his word that it was your dog who bit him- in that situation it's very possible; even likely that his own dog bit him in the "heat" of the moment. Who's to say otherwise?

OP- sorry. :hijacked:

11. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Time to TP their house and key their car IMO

12. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oh yeah. Let your lab drop a deuce or 10 in the yard

13. grizzly1530

grizzly1530 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree that it depends on your city ordinance. We had trashy neighbors next to us, whose pit bull escaped and attacked our lab while he was on his leash. The owners apologized, swore up and down that they would pay the vet bills, etc. We didn't notice it that day, but 2 days later he had an infected wound on his neck, took him to the vet, they never paid, we called the cops, and they got a citation for unlicensed dog. A year later, my other neighbor was walking her lab, and the same dog got out and attacked her dog. Same thing followed, apologies, them saying the dogs never did that, yada yada. She called the police, they got a fine for dog running at large. They said that until the dog attacks a human, they really couldn't do anything about it. So, even if, by chance, your dog attacked, AND they have it on video, it doesn't seem like, in my area at least, they would do anything other than an off leash fine.

14. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think you're in any danger of losing your dog until it bites a human. I'd also like to see the video, seems fishy

15. jackflap

jackflap Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Lab attacking? Doubtful. Self defense? Possibly, but I would think there would be some indication on your dog of an altercation as I doubt the boxer just rolled over regardless of which was the initial aggressor.

Sounds like bull to me. I would want to see video and be more cautious around neighbor to prevent future problems. Was their dog(s) supposedly on a leash? Doesn't sound like it based on their story, so sounds like both were technically wrong even if altercation occurred.

I wouldn't worry too much, but would keep my distance. And if a Lab did kick a Boxers ***, give him an extra doggy bone for me.

16. Brandon8807

Brandon8807 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't do anything until I saw the video. I would definitely keep your dog on a leash though even for its own protection. It sucks having to put a dog down due to being attacked, speaking first hand. Our neighbors had American Bulldogs and one of them attacked my dog to the point of her having to be euthanized. NOTHING happened to the dog that attacked her because the town I lived in was cheap and didn't spring for the extra fee to have animal control patrol our area. None of the dogs were leashed, but my dog was 16 years old and had never shown aggression to any other dogs or people.

17. biscuit

biscuit Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Umm so your neighbors have time to video a dog using the bathroom, and all of a sudden attack their dog. All on a video they haven't shown you. This ain't the first time they have had issues with their dogs. This sounds to me like a very bored spouse with way too much time on his, or her hands.

I would listen to the advice of go the extra step of making it right, if in fact that is the case. Defiantly ask for the video.

18. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I doubt you'll face any legal ramifications unless it's a recurring event and they actually do have video evidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would get the video from the owners because I am finding this hard to believe.

20. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If a dog fight happened, you would've heard it. The growls snarls yelps barks.